Stunting charge: Any GTA lawyers in the house?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Ah Um, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Ah Um

Ah Um A lurker emerges

Oddometer:
    A friend has been accused (wrongly, she insists) of riding 50 km/hr over the limit. She's a single mom, and can't afford the fines or the loss of her license.

Looking for any recommendations for lawyers or paralegals who could help her out without draining her bank account.
  2. gto3

gto3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've heard only good things about redline legal services ...not sure about the bank account draining thing though,good luck
  3. Ah Um

Ah Um A lurker emerges

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
  4. klondike1

klondike1 Nobody in particular

Oddometer:
    If she goes to court herself you can almost always get a reduction in the charge, and a reduction in the fine as well. I cannot say by how much. They tend to run on the premise people are usually going 20 over as a norm and work from there. I highly doubt she was actually stunting in anyway. Just caught in a bad spot where the cops know people tend to go fast. I wish her luck.
  5. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used this paralegal service for auto, not moto, and was pleased with the outcome:

OTT Legal Services
    Mark Reynolds
    (416) 221-6888
    markreynolds@ottlegal.com
    4578 Yonge St
    Toronto, M2N 5L7

Cost me $300, result was no fine, no points, so money well spent.
  6. RumRunner

RumRunner Sit there, turn that

Oddometer:
    While I can not offer advice with regards to a particular lawyer, I would offer this. She needs to get an excellent lawyer who has represented cases involving the misuse of this particular charge.

It is common for officers to "throw the book" at offenders knowing that a plea bargain with the crown will result in a lesser charge. This needs to be done prior to trial to avoid the brutal $$$ she will face if convicted of stunting. In fact I'm sure she is already racking up the costs of the impound and 10 day immediate suspension.

The lawyer needs to be well informed of case law in which some notable presidents have been set.

http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/2009/09/10/stuntdriving_grandma_gets_reprieve_from_judge.html

DW
  7. Ah Um

Ah Um A lurker emerges

Oddometer:
    Excellent advice here. That Toronto Star piece is particularly interesting.

Here's the situation as she relates it: She was with two other riders--a close friend, and a guy they had just met at a coffee stop. The new guy was riding like an idiot; in fact, words were exchanged and the guy was told to cool it. At some point a police car showed up with lights flashing and the new guy took off. My friend pulled over, assuming the officer was about to chase after the new guy. Instead he charged her with stunting and impounded her bike.