KTM 640 Adventure owners, sign in please...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by creeper, Feb 20, 2004.

1. Johnnyktm

Johnnyktm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :D Here we go:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope that you enjoy them :freaky :norton
  2. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any more ? :D

Excellent pics !! :clap:clap
  3. Johnnyktm

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, these are all the pics that I took that day... Had I known that in the future I was going to LUST after these bikes, I would have taken pics of every inch of the bike :D
  4. bigboyxl

bigboyxl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ooh what a machine! :clap
    thanks for sharing with us!!
  5. 640 Armageddon

Oddometer:
    probably you would have used a twenty trillion pixel camera and print the bike in a 1:1 scale :D

again, thanks for sharing, this bike is awesome :freaky
  6. mgorman

mgorman Crashing since 1964

Oddometer:
    Nice pictures

Heck, go 2:1 and make it a garage wall paper! I wouldn't mind figuring a way to make a set of those grab handles for mine at the rear seat without ruining my saddle
  7. ScramblerTom

ScramblerTom Been here awhile

Oddometer:

So frozen it was - got it warmed up and key turns fine - but guess what???

No lights...

I just walked away from it - I'll go out there maybe tomorrow night when warm and break out the meter and look to see why. I had to build the relay harnesses so maybe I screwed something up?? I also got chinese jobbies recommended by a inmate and everyone know the quality control on chinese goods.
  8. liferider

liferider Never It's enough

Oddometer:
    Someday... I will grab one fo these 660/690 rally bikes... don't mind how many years from now, I will wait :evil

9. 640 Armageddon

Oddometer:
    I have 'nt given up yet... But may be afterlife ?! :huh

As far as the handles, indeed they are beautiful. I wonder how tall you have to be to grab the bike from that handle. :lol3
    I think these are pillion handles. :huh May be I am able to convince my girfriend about that and justify selling her car, renting the house or something to buy the beast :wings
  10. ericGSsti

ericGSsti Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Getting this one rebuilt. Cann't find another one.
  11. Johnnyktm

Oddometer:
    I'm happy that you have enjoyed the pics! :thumb By the way: I have the full resolution ones (3072x2304 pixels) and I can post them with a clickable thumbnail in case that you need/want to have a look at something more closely :D

Something like that:

[​IMG]
  12. 640 Armageddon

Oddometer:
    Now ... If I only had a projector ... :D
  13. liferider

Oddometer:
    :lol3

BTW, Armageddon, how is your project of the front tower? may be I have lost some post of yours lately?

14. 640 Armageddon

Oddometer:

The tower held fine in the 24hrs Rally Raid, but the engine gave up :D go figure :evil
    Here it is

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What I need to put is vibration dampers everywhere and make sure the aluminium sheet is bent to a proper workshop. The aluminium developed cracks when they bent it. These cracks propagated because of the vibrations... It did not fall apart, but as Pete640 and others have told me, I should have welded these cracks. No time at the time (with only one week left to race) so I did my best to sort out the electrics. Now the bike sits on the garage, waiting for a donor engine, I have time to correct everything that was not right in the first version and redesign it for the next Rally :D
    That was the point from the beginning. And I dont mean the engine failure :huh:D ! I wanted to test the tower in order to get a product out at the end because I am sick of not finding products for the 640... First a Tower. then a nice bash plate, then a Roadbook :evil a rally fairing and whatever inmates here ask for ... :freaky
  15. Falcon Rust

Falcon Rust Adventurer

Oddometer:
    it's pretty hot here.
    so not sure if that would be the case?

16. Johnnyktm

Oddometer:
    Impressive work!!!! :eek1:clap
  17. liferider

Oddometer:
    Awesome work!:clap
    Sure you will debug the details and impove it. You are a very qualified crafty rider...
    Wow, so many accessories... may be you will end building a KTM from scratch :lol3

I remember to have read about your engine's death... it's unfair...:cry
    Anyway you took it well.
  18. juames

juames Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer:
    :y0!
  19. 640 Armageddon

Oddometer:
    Shit happens all the time to racers... I used to have a sticker when I raced street endurance races with me and I still have it when I changed to off road bikes and especially rallies. It reads ''never give up'' and I remember it since I was a kid on a Tamiya madcap :huh Sometimes when I push the bikes, it helps looking at the sticker for a while :pynd

I wanted to load the tower as much as I could with tools, first aid kits, four led lights , spares etc to see how it will cope. I think the first improvement is the vibration dampers and two instead of one stiffener... I was thinking (it rare happens :D) to make it in such a way that if it breaks you can clamp it somehow back using metallic tie wraps. Having it in more than one part also helps. If you break the button are you change it. If you break the GPS area you change it ... The major feature in my opinion is to be safe if the tower hits you in the chest, that is what I want to work on the next version... :deal
    The plastic toggles are a big ''no no '' in the next version !

As far as the bash plate is concerned I started (almost two years back) designing a bash plate which had two versions. One light and one with side boxes...
    Here is the light one

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the time I was looking to find something to buy but they were all too expensive. All the bash plates were abroad the shipping was killing me :cry ... It is a little bit difficult to measure and I would need lots of prototypes until I get it perfect but I will get there. I wanted to protect the sides of the engine better. The rear suspension linkage was also a good point to protect... :evil

D.
  20. liferider

Oddometer:
    Yes, shit happens and moreover to racers, given you guys push the machines to their limits.
    Depres broke his 5th gear this year's Dakar... how we would not expect to have trouble ourselves :evil

"Never Give Up" goes far beyond bikes and races I think... it's a healthy life philosophy :thumb

A modular tower sounds great and also does the metallic tie wraps, even when you resolve the vibration because a "racer down" situation is always a possibility and sometimes the tower is the victim.

That bash plate looks very cool and tough.
    You already are aware of this for sure, but let me feel I'm smart as you saying this: don't forget the side hole for the oil inspection glass (just in case your model has it there). I'm a genius or what???? :lol3