Smart phone question...

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by dtysdalx2, Feb 19, 2013.

1. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 The only easy day was yesterday...

Oddometer:
    I didn't want to ask this question in Jo momma, so I'll toss it in here.

I just got a LG smart phone and I was wondering if there are any apps or software for it to be able to use the USB cable to use my laptop screen to surf the web.

I found something on the LG website but I don't have internet for my laptop to down load it yet.
  2. HapHazard

HapHazard Be Kind - Rewind

Oddometer:
    Coward!:lol3

"Shiney Things" would be appropriate.
  3. wsmc831

wsmc831 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You could always just get a free app that lets your laptop use your phone as it's ISP.
  4. It'sNotTheBike

It'sNotTheBike Banned

Oddometer:

What you want to do is called "tethering".

In a "tethering" scenario your laptop uses your phone to transmit and receive
    data to and from the internet via the cell phone's radio connection to cell towers
    which then connect to a server run by the cell company, etc.

Your cellular provider probably has restrictions on tethering, and for good reason :
    a laptop can use a lot more data than a cell phone typically will. If your cellular contract
    allows tethering you can probably find software for your phone which enables such
    use. Google can find the software in a few clicks. If your cell phone contract prohibits
    tethering you should look into the implications of using the phone in a manner which
    is prohibited by the terms of your contract. It can get expensive, and your cell provider
    definitely will discover you are doing this, because they employ very smart people to keep
    an eye on their networks for reasons just such as this.

Assuming your cell provider does allow tethering, unless your cell contract allows
    unlimited data use you should be careful that you don't use more than the amount of data
    transfer allowed you per month under the terms of your contract. If your usage exceeds the
    allowed amount of data you could find yourself with a phone bill that is significantly larger
    than you are accustomed to paying.

5. dtysdalx2

Oddometer:
  6. Garp

Garp Long timer

Oddometer:
    You need to read the small print and make sure you know what your carriers version of unlimited really means. Very few carriers allow truly unlimited usage, most will throttle you after somewhere between 1 GB and 5GB of data in a month. After that you can continue to download, but it will be at very limited speeds. They don't cut you off, but they make it so slow that you won't want to keep going.
  7. muguvian

muguvian Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For what you're wanting to do you need something like PDANet+. PCSync is not a connection to any networks, just connecting your phone as an external drive.
  8. dtysdalx2

Oddometer:
    Working on the pdanet stuff, thanks! Having some problems so far. Probably going to buy the full version.
  9. dtysdalx2

Oddometer:
    Whelp, I went to the library today and brought my laptop. Tried to download the PDAnet software but I needed my cable to connect my phone which I didn't bring. Plus my laptop is old and battery lasts about 20 minutes on battery power. So I take out the flash drive and use the library computer to save the PDA software. Just got home about 1/2 hour ago, install the PDA program, hook up the cell phone and wa la I have internet on my laptop! :clap

Thanks guys for the help! Didn't cost me anything, I didn't need the full version either.
  10. EJSCC2

EJSCC2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On Androids - I have used EZTether, but switched to FoxFi... it creates a local wifi zone and is quite simple to set up and get going... don't need to download anything to the PC.

Recently, the developer changed and does not allow a trial. You may not find it under Google Play --- most cell providers want to hide apps like this, but this is EXACTLY what the Android operating system was built around, so you may have to search in Google --- not in Google Play --- to find it.

I purchased it for $7 or so and it works fine. Much easier than physically tethering by USB cable, and can support multiple PCs streaming Netflix (when I am able to get 4G coverage from Sprint --- when not in 4G mode, there is quite a bit of buffering).

Good luck.
  11. troidus

troidus Long timer

Oddometer:
    This sounds like you want to hook an external display to your phone. I see that that's not what you intended, but that could be cool in its own right.