Triumph Scrambler

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by danger_dave, May 29, 2006.

1. grebmrof

grebmrof Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This should answer your question:

http://www.newbonneville.com/html/brake_pads.html
  2. Desce

Desce Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks grebmerof!
  3. Grumdrig

Grumdrig Armchair pilot

Oddometer:
  4. Desce

Desce Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sanjoh has a led replacement for the bulb that people have liked. Adv monster is the company. They are in the vendor forum. More light and less power!
  5. TAMPAJIM

TAMPAJIM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Deepnzwoods, I was finally able to the my baffle out by using the extractor technique in the above link.

Now another question. Is the 1100DB a stock baffle or some sort of compromise . You mentioned cutting it down, could you elaborate ?
  6. XT Traveler

XT Traveler Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately the Scrambler does not have a 5 3/4" headlight shell it is a bastard size. So either you will have to replace the headlight shell or replace the bulb with a brighter option, cleaning the inside of the lens and reflector helps a lot too. There is a lot of info on this subject on this thread -- try searching it.
  7. canyonwlf7

canyonwlf7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "By the way I thought the bike sounded awful without the baffle in it. The Arrow 11005DB sounds just right. Good luck"

To each his own, I have the baffle removed and it sounds awesome!
  8. Deepnzwoods

Deepnzwoods Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Jim,

Depending on where you order it from you might need to cut the baffle to around 2". The 2nd baffle I ordered from bolski.nl arrived pre-cut as I had mentioned I needed it for a Scrambler. It took a little over two weeks to arrive from the Netherlands.

Check out post # 31 on this link for more info on the baffle and cutting it to size.

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/117098-taming-arrow-2-into-2-pipes-4.html#post2003357

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  9. Deepnzwoods

Deepnzwoods Adventurer

Oddometer:
    "Awful" was a bit harsh of a term, don't mean to offend I just felt it was too loud for me and needed something to tune the sound down. The Arrow 11005DB baffle added a deeper sound to the "growl".
  10. TAMPAJIM

TAMPAJIM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks a bunch Deepnzwoods! that link is long but answered all my questions. :thumb AR1100Db ordered!!
  11. canyonwlf7

canyonwlf7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wear earplugs so the sound with no baffles works for me :)
  12. TerryK

TerryK Ulysses

Oddometer:
    Photos from a Triumph Riders club ride, couple of Blue & white Scramblers, mine is the dual seat unit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. JdYowa

JdYowa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Orange Park, Florida (Outside Jacksonville)
    Has anyone removed all baffles on stock pipes, opened up air box and remapped? What is involved and what did it do for you?
  14. Bugchewer

Bugchewer Piece of Work

Oddometer:
    WNY hills of Wyoming County, maple syrup & cheese!
    I drilled out baffles. It is a pain the arse but worth it. The bike sounds much better. I did have the bike remapped at dealer and the bike is crisper. I followed the directions from a different site.
  15. henryII

henryII Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice bikes :-) good to see some riding pictures
  16. TerryK

TerryK Ulysses

Oddometer:
    photo of the Scrambler

[​IMG]
  17. Mastodon

Mastodon Mother F'n Dinosaur

Oddometer:
    While it seems like most of the US under a blanket of snow, here in south Texas I haven't seen a flake yet. So, with the clear skies and warm temps, I pulled the bike from the garage, I gassed up and headed for a ride down to the lake.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll post some more pictures tomorrow.
  18. ajsimmo

ajsimmo Crinkley Codger

Oddometer:
    I knew I should move to a warmer climate, I freeze my ass off just looking at my bikes tucked away in the garage!!
    Looks like it was a nice day out.

AJ
  19. Eclecticmale

Eclecticmale Adventurer

Oddometer:
  20. Mastodon

Mastodon Mother F'n Dinosaur

Oddometer:
    As a street tire, the Anakee 3's are good. The Scram was wearing Tourances before, and compared to those, I'm impressed by the treadlife. With the Tourances, my rear had worn mostly smooth by about 7 or 8 thousand miles. Sure, 2500 miles of it had been with the bike fully loaded as I meandered across the US, including the long straight roads of Oklahoma, but I've put roughly the same number of miles on these, also loaded up to make my way back home, and there's still a lot of tire left.

On pavement, there's nothing but grip. On anything else, well... if you take a read through the ride report in my sig, you'll see that about half of it is me struggling with a broken shifter after taking one fall in Death Valley and another in Moab. Granted my off-roading skills aren't the greatest, but these tires did nothing to help me either. I don't have near the experience in the wet with these tires that I had with the Tourances, but they felt stable in the few hours of light rain I've been in.

As far as looks go, I feel it's too modern and sporty looking for the Scram's vintage charm. If I had a Tiger 800 Roadie, or either the Speed Triple or Street Triple, this would be a perfect tire. It might even look okay on the Thruxton. They just don't look the part for the Scrambler IMHO, which is why I never considered them for my bike. However, these were the only tires I could find in stock in all of New Mexico that fit.

All in all they're good tires, but I think they're more of a 90/10 instead of the 80/20 they're rated for. But this is all just one man's opinion. YMMV.

Longevity: A
    Grip - pavement: A
    Grip - off: D
    Grip - wet: A?
    Looks: C

Overall: B.