Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    We have discussed the Priscilla Brosnahan & Co. story here before but I had not seen this particular narrative and photos.

I think each casual reader of this thread should read all accounts of this incident and factor what happened into their personal risk management profile.

Suffice to say, the encapsulation in the story to the effect of "all they wanted was your money" or words to that effect, is the centerpoint.

Without having to rehash the discussion all over again, the salient points: When you travel anywhere in the world, its often wise to have a throw away wallet. But live up to the title - be ready and fast on the toss. If someone has a gun, be it Mexico, St. Louis, Prague etc., give them what they want and pronto. If you don't have a throw-away, give them your real wallet, along with your camera, IPad, IPhone and MacBook Air. Your TV, your SIDIs, and your Schuberth too.

If anything, this is a story about the heat of the moment and the microseconds you have to make a decision.

With that in mind, it is good to have this story and to put it to use in the context "what if this happened to me - how would I react". And discuss it with your travel companions. It degrades your position if you're compliant, and your riding partners choose flight and/or fight.
  2. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now I know why you were in such a hurry to head south!
    Can you ask him if he has room for about two dozen or so more riders?:freaky:eek1
  3. rockymountainoyster

rockymountainoyster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really Trice? I guess it would be easier to spot them. After trying to keep up with Miguelito they can have my underwear.
  4. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    That will go over big with the bad guys! :freaky
  5. rockymountainoyster

rockymountainoyster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice video Trevor. You clearly have more faith in the K60 than I have yet developed and you are clearly a better rider. After a number of stories and radioman' s high speed get off on a new K60 I tread lightly. I totally trusted the Tourance that I rode in all conditions for many years, the K60 is better in the dirt and gravel but my trust does not yet extend to damp or wet pavement at speed and fully loaded.

Looks like I am going to miss you in Mexico. Not back there until mid-Feb but I will want to pick your brain about a few things.

I am in Chile and will be posting to my RR. In a great beach town now. Guanaqueros. http://www.findmespot.com/mylocation/?id=Axqlr/30.19612S/71.42474W
  6. dcstrom

dcstrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah on my second K60 and have ridden in some streaming wet conditions - not this trip but in the US - and in 20,000 miles haven't had a single issue with them. Of course I treat them pretty gently in the wet, and ABS and traction control on the S10 certainly eases any worries about locking wheels or spinning up the rear unexpectedly... I do notice the TCS light flickering a lot when pushing it tho!

Didn't hear about Radioman's problem, in his ride report I guess?

Mid-feb I'll probably be in Guatamala. I'm due on the Stahlratte March 28.

Trevor
  7. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Pretty good shot of how the GoPro was mounted on my helmet
  8. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    This happened around March 29 last year. With all the drama, as Warren called it at the time, both he and Priscilla are ready to ride Mexico again. I have not heard from the other 3. What was left out of the story is that the group of 5 was advised by the ride leader and the locals in Alamos not to go to El Fuerte. I know this because I talked to all of them 2 days later at my hotel in Banamichi. (It is the photo of the yellow building with the 10 bikes in front.) It was 2 days after the incident but Warren was cool and seemed unaffected by the incident when I spoke to him. He said "there are punks everywhere" and didn't see it as a Mexican thing.
  9. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    I always smile when I see this video because they would play it every week at the movie theater when I was a kid as part of the newsreel.
  10. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Hey Trevor, nice clip. Good to hear from you again.
  11. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Discuss that with your fellow Canadian, Warren. If you lived in a big US city you might have more experience with this kind of nonsense. I have to ssay that in 5 years full time in Mexico, not one incident. Can't say that about Denver Metro.
  12. Bato

Bato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They come with integrated GPS

Happy Bday!
  13. Bato

Bato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    dcstorm ; Good to hear from you...I'm glad you doing well:clap

rockymountainoyster ; you were seating at LA TERRAZA in San Miguel last week and now you are in CHILE is that for real?
    :scratch

guess I'm slow
    Saludos
  14. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Try riding through the Jane/Finch corridor in Toronto on a Friday night.
    Yes, there are plenty of punks with handguns in every province in Canada. More of an urban thing, if you live in Dryden you are likely safe.
  15. mwood7800

mwood7800 Banned

Oddometer:
  16. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
  17. Bato

Bato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  18. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    I walked past the Los Muertos microbrewery in PV yesterday afternoon. They were not open. I'll check it out in the next few days.
  19. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is not good!
    Arbitrary closings of micro breweries without consent of their target market is not to be tolerated.
    It's an outrage!
    Almost as disappointing as a lip syncing!:eek1
  20. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer: