Bluetooth ignorance: Enlighten me

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by MotoProf, Mar 11, 2014.

1. MotoProf

MotoProf Adventurer

Oddometer:

I just got my first Garmin - a Zumo 550. Want to be able to listen to directions; and not have to look down constantly; what do I need for that? Does it have to be a bluetooth headset? Don't want to spend a whole lot. Thanks!
  2. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    You don't have to use a BT headset. You can just plug in a set of earbuds if you want.
  3. MotoProf

MotoProf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Albie, good to know. Any recommendations on the earbuds?
  4. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, the ones I always use, Etymotic ER6i's, are no longer available. Luckily I stockpiled a couple pairs because they work great. There are a couple threads on here discussing good options. The Etymotic MC5's I think are the replacement buds for the ER6i's but I've never tried them.
  5. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    I run the Etymotic HF5's and like them.
  6. MotoProf

MotoProf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok, I looked at the Etymotic HF5's online, but how do you pull a helmet over those? I wear an Aria full face that fits snugly, as it should, but I can't see getting it on with these headphones.
  7. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    They go into your ear fairly well. Or at least they do for me as I also ensure my helmet is a snug/proper fit.
  8. JCtx

JCtx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    May I ask you what do you do with all 4' of wiring? I'm thinking of trying a pair (provided I can return them in Amazon -researching that) to use with a Sena SMH10 and a 0304 earbud clamp kit, but not crazy about a wireless headset with a bunch of wires anyway. I also have a very narrow ear canal, and at least on the left side, weird curvature since I have a hard time fitting even foam earplugs, so don't have high expectations of those earbuds. If I can return them, I lose nothing by trying. And my last resort is those super expensive ($700 or so) special silicon plugs with speakers. Thanks.
  9. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    I coiled it up. I just simply wrapped the cord into a coil leaving enough length to reach my ears. I also took the long cord that Sena provides for the ear bud mount and ran it through the inside of my helmet. This way I can still use it.

I too hate cord going everywhere. So this was the best solution I could come up with and it seems to work well. Also keeps the cord from snagging on anything and pulling on my ear buds.
  10. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:
    I use a buff under my helmet for a few reasons - but one of them is that it keeps the earbuds secure into my ear and makes putting the helmet, without dragging out the buds, really easy.

As for which buds - that's a personal ear thing. I like the Shure 215s, good quality, last a long time, not all that expensive (but not cheap either) and they have a secure fit to the ear.

I'm tempted, when I've got some spare dosh, to buy the new Shure 215s that come with a mic and removable/replaceable cables (here).

As for Bluetooth - in principle it's great but, in practice, when you're riding all day and listening to music (as I do) then it's not so good (at least not in my experience - and I'm welcome input on this).