1971 Honda CL175 Tires. Where do I buy them?!

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by mentaltoss, Apr 11, 2012.

1. mentaltoss

mentaltoss Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,

I just recently bought a 71 CL175, and I need to replace the tires on the sucker. I can't seem to find an in stone correct dimension set for the front and rear.

If anyone's got any clue as to the correct dimensions for this bike....AS WELL as a recommended set of tires for the bike, I'd greatly appreciate the help.

Thanks kids,
    ride safe!
  2. Tim McKittrick

Tim McKittrick Long timer

Oddometer:
    That bike takes some small treads- a 2.75/18 front and a 3.25/18 rear. Depending on who's charts you believe that would mean you could probably get away with a 90/90 front and a 100/90 rear, although I would think those would still be just a touch large. A quick glance at American Motorcycle Tire's web page (http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=33&osCsid=5793c8ee1687cf2ddd0f657c3e430a96) shows Avon Roadriders available in those sizes, or if you want something that looks period IRC GS-11 tires in 3.00/18 and 3.50/18...... still possibly a little on the puffy side but should still fit and not affect handling by much. Tires Unlimited (http://www.tiresunlimited.com/ALL TIRES/Duro/Duro_motorcycle_hf302b_classic.htm) lists a few Duro's that are close and look like vintage kit in a 300/18 and a 3.50/18.

That should get you off to a start. If you intend to use it more as a scrambler then you might want to look for dual-purpose treads- old style block treads should be available as should something like a GP-1.
  3. lake_harley

lake_harley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a similar vintage CB175 and bought a pair of Michelin Gazelle moped tires. That's right moped tires - but they were rated to 90-ish MPH and I though that would probably take care of it. They were really inexpensive from either Motorcycle Superstore or Bike Bandit....I forget which, and sorry, but I don't remember the exact sizes. I sold the bike over a year ago. I put 1000+ miles on them and by the wear at that point I would have estimated I'd get about 4-5K out of the rear.

Lynn
  4. mentaltoss

mentaltoss Adventurer

Oddometer:

Tim, thanks for the recommendations, man. I am in fact looking for for a dual-purpose tread, but I'm still open for consideration. My main focus right now is to just get the thing ready and on the road, and with the tires it's got on it right now...I can't do that. The things are pretty much spotless, but the bike's been sitting on em for years with little or no air. They're riddled with cracks and breaks.
  5. mentaltoss

mentaltoss Adventurer

Oddometer:

Lynn, yeah I've looked at those Gazelles before. I was considering them, but the sizes don't exactly match up unfortunately. The gazelles match the CB's tire specs perfectly, but not the CL. I've just been hoping to find the perfect fit as well as a quality tire. :\
  6. Furious E

Furious E Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How timely, I too am looking at ordering a set of tires for my 72 cl175 within the next week. I have been leaning towards the Shinko 244s myself, as I am looking to do some gravel and maybe light trail riding with it. They're also quite cheap, which is of paramount importance on this project (hoping not to exceed about $500 all in). The sizing of the 244s isn't perfect, but close; they're available in a 3.00-18 and 3.5-18 (stock is 2.75 front 3.25 rear for those who may not be in the know).

I have a few questions for the ADV gurus. For sizing, I'm thinking 3.00 for the front but would the 3.00 or 3.50 be more suitable for the rear? Also, what size tubes should I buy? For example, if I'm putting a 3.50 inch tire on a 3.25 inch rim should I buy the tube to fit the tire or the rim? Also, how would a set of trials type tires compare? I'm planning mostly road use with a bit of off road thrown in as mentioned before, but as this is my first bike stable and predictable handling are a must.

Sorry if I'm thread jacking, but hopefully this helps the O.P. too.
  7. lrutt

lrutt SILENCE.....i kill you

Oddometer:
  8. DiabloADV

DiabloADV Semi-Occasional

Oddometer:
  9. mentaltoss

mentaltoss Adventurer

Oddometer:
  10. DiabloADV

Oddometer:
    My '69 came with 18 and 19. Don't know what '71's had.
  11. mentaltoss

mentaltoss Adventurer

Oddometer:

Ahh, I see. :S The 71 is both 18s.
  12. mentaltoss

mentaltoss Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Alrighty, I'm really having a tough time finding same tread tire sets, and I'd really like to get the perfect fit sizes. Will popping on two different treads (both a dual sport) drastically mess with the bike's handling?
  13. Scrivens

Scrivens Long timer

Oddometer:
    You'd never notice the difference between two dual-sport tyres on a CL175. It's not uncommon to run a knobbed front and a road rear on a modern dually these days, and their handling is sharper and speeds higher than the CL175.

Back in the day we often used to use 3.00 fronts on 2.75 rims, and 4.10 rears on a 3.50 rim without any problems. What you need to check is the tyre height more than its rim width as the clearance on the front guard can be a problem with big treads, same with a wider rear - check that it isn't rubbing on the guard, swing arm or chain. The old Dunlop K70 pattern derivatives are still made in bias-ply inch sizes by various Asian companies.
  14. Bloodweiser

Bloodweiser honestly

Oddometer:
  15. DiabloADV

Oddometer:
    My CL175 had a 4 on the rear when I got it and it rubbed the swingarm crosspiece. So...measure carefully.
  16. mentaltoss

mentaltoss Adventurer

Oddometer:

Thanks for the advice, Diablo.

As well as everyone else!
  17. mentaltoss

mentaltoss Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A little update: It seems that putting a 3.5-18 on the rear would be a pretty tight squeeze, but I don't see how .25 inches would make a ginormous difference as compared to the 3.25. any input?
  18. Scrivens

Scrivens Long timer

Oddometer:
    When inflated it will be 1/2" - 3/4" wider in the casing than the 3.25 and perhaps slightly taller. As long as it doesn't rub on anything you are good to go. One nice thing about those old skinny rims is the tyres can often be rolled on by hand like a bicycle tyre. And remember those tyres run low pressure - 25-28psi is about right - so don't blow it up to 60psi to set the bead.
  19. mentaltoss

mentaltoss Adventurer

Oddometer:

Thanks for the help! Hopefully the 3.50s won't be too wide. I just can't seem to find any reasonably priced 3.25s with the tread I want or at all! :\
  20. scramblinman34

scramblinman34 n00b

Oddometer:
    How did they work out? I'm in the same predicament and trying to figure it out. Please help!