HELP! getting US bike back into the US after Latin America trip

Discussion in 'Americas' started by watchtheskytonight, Jun 20, 2012.

1. watchtheskytonight

watchtheskytonight n00b

Oddometer:
    currently, Chiapas, Mexico, getting some repairs
    Hey everybody, we have a perplexing problem and thought our best bet is to post here and see what knowledge you all can throw our way:

We bought our DR650 2009 from a US guy ending his motorcycle tour in Colombia, SA. We received the title, signed by him, and a notarized statement saying the bike now belongs to Alexander (my Australian boyfriend). We have had no trouble touring through South and Central America, and Mexico, but now we are heading to the US to get the bike title officially changed into Alexander's name, plus a valid registration and inspection (the current registration not being in his name, and both being a year out of date).

But getting into the US looks like an impossible circular process for us: we wouldn't be allowed in without insurance, but we can't buy insurance unless the vehicle has up-to-date inspection and registration in Alexander's name, which we would have to be in the US to do, and besides, we'd have to get all the way to Georgia, where the bike is from, to begin the title change-over---is this correct? And then, Alexander will have to go to Oregon or Washington state to register the bike there, as apparently foreigners can own a vehicle there (and he has friends with permanent addresses there)---is this still accurate?

It has been an awesome 9 month trip, but now we are faced with the possibility of the DR not being allowed back into the US and basically being illegal everywhere forever....please if anyone has any suggestions or has heard of this ever being done before, we are so appreciative of any help!

Also, if this changes anything: Alexander has a work visa for Canada, and presumably could get it registered in Vancouver once he's there? I just don't know how it would go crossing out of the US...

I guess worse case scenario we could get the bike trucked to where the paperwork will be done; does anyone have any suggestions for cheap transport?

THANKS!
  2. Flashmo

Flashmo Whatever...

Oddometer:
    In the US, you don't normally need to do any paper work in the state that the bike used to be titled in (or inspections), you just need to present the bike for inspection (they'll usually want to check the VIN when bringing one in from out of state) and do the title and any inspections in the state that you want to have the new title in.

With the registration being lapsed, it will not be legal to ride the bike in any state, but you may be able to get a temporary "transport permit". Best bet would be to see if you can have it shipped directly to a state that you want to title it in.

The big thing will be just getting the insurance, so that you can get it into the country.
  3. Missiongravity

Missiongravity Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not sure what state he is trying to title it in but I have net met an insurance agent that wouldn't take someone's money and set up a policy. I just recently bought a bike here in Utah and bought insurance for it before it was even registered or totally in my name(waiting on title from dealership).

Also try South Carolina, they are pretty lax about vehicles and do not require inspetions. I had a KTM XR250 2 stroke registered there and they never even so much as asked anything about the vehicle other than if it had two wheels.
  4. Boxer Metal

Boxer Metal Mad Scientist

Oddometer:
    I think you will need a copy of the original title, registration and proof of it leaving the country originally.
  5. GastonUSAChile

GastonUSAChile Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As an export shipper on these matter, my recommendations are :

1. The bike could be brought back to the U.S. if the title has been signed by the buyer.
    A bill of sale has been issued by the seller and a power of attorney state that the bike was legally sold to you. Regardless if the Registration is expired.
    Title never expire
    2. If the owner is Canadian, there is nothing wrong of bringing the bike first to the US and then transferred to Canada. I have imported temporary bikes in the US that will end in Canada.
    3. If the bike was more than a year outside of the U.S. it could happenm that Customs make you pay duties on the bike. However if the new owner is Canadian and the bike to be imported to Canada, the duty is not imposed.
    4. I don't know which way the bike left the U.S. (either crossing the border or exported via shipping). If it was shipped the tittle should be perforated by US Customs and a date is shown.
    If the bike left the U.S. thorugh a border , then is only in the Customs system records.

The best place to enter the bike is through Miami on your way to Georgia.
    Whoever told you that a foreigner cannot own a vehicle in the US is wrong. I just brought 2 US bikes (BMW) back ot the US and the owners are Australian , not being resident in the US, and one of them never came back to the US. (which was a flaw) but Customs admitted the bike anyway.
    I have also titled and tag bikes to S.American owners in Florida. Nothing wrong with that.

Insurance is not needed for motorcycles , at least in Florida. Actually you could easily re-title the bike in Florida, as long , you provide a local address and you show the bike at the tag agency for VIN verification. If you are not here , you can provide a power of attorney to anyone to do the titling and VIN verification.
  6. Ed~

Ed~ What, Me Worry?

Oddometer:
    I crossed the border in Arizona from Sonora Mexico.

Had a BMW GS with expired registration on Texas plates. I had a bill of sale and the original title for the motorcycle signed by the previous owner, notarized by an attorney in Panama, none of which I had to show when crossing the border here in Arizona.

Of course I didn't have insurance either. I was riding on a current California driver's license and was an American Citizen with passport.

I don't know if things have gotten more strict since Sept. 11 because so much has with regard to the border we are on.

But if you plan to cross in AZ and need help, get in touch with me (PM) and I'll try to help you along your trip however I can. AZ is one of the easier state's to transfer titles and license from other states. If you have a current visa on your foreign passport and a local address (such as mine) that you can use, it's easy to register and plate your bike in AZ; no inspection, no emissions tests, no VIN verification, no nothing! The last few motorcycles I purchased, I didn't even have to have the bike with me at the MVD... They just took the paperwork, wrote everything up, charged me a little money, and gave me the plates that I walked out of the office with. Seriously, it can be a cake-walk if you let it.

Don't sweat it too much until you get to the border and see what they say. You are just spinning your own wheels in your head otherwise and scaring yourself needlessly. Like on your current travels, trust that things will be OK when you reach the border and that any hurdle can be met and overcome when they arise.