The official XT225 thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by wickerman777, Nov 4, 2006.

1. flyfire58

flyfire58 Put the monkey to it

Oddometer:
    I developed the dreaded cold starting issues this winter. Pulled the carb and noticed the right side carb cover was cracked and causing a vacuum leak. Not sure exactly what the small diaphragm does but looks as though it may have something to with the choke. JB weld/Seal All to seal the crack. Bike started cold on 4th crank after reassembly. Anyone know how this works?

Attached Files:

2. GlennF33

GlennF33 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The device id a coasting enrichener. It richens the mixture when closing the throttle to prevent lean popping. These are available now in the Dennis Kirk catalog. Around $30.00. Will not run right until you repair or replace it.
  3. deodom

deodom Old Racer

Oddometer:
  4. flyfire58

flyfire58 Put the monkey to it

Oddometer:
    Cool thanks guys! It's fixed for now but I think I'll order one for when the glue fails. Thought I was sol for that part.
  5. deodom

deodom Old Racer

Oddometer:
    You are SOL from the Yamaha dealer. I bought one a while back for my 2007 as a spare, just in case of ...........
  6. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it?

Oddometer:
    $42.99 :eek1 WTF? Looks like you get that *other diaphragm with it that you probably don't need. (They have the carb floats for $33.99)
    https://www.denniskirk.com/engine-and-intake/2005-yamaha-xt225.mmy
    Rocky Mountain, $27.99 without that other diaphragm. Shipping to me would be $17.62 :cry (The *other diaphragm is $15.99.)
    We constantly get screwed on shipping charges. You could probably mail that little thing to here for a buck.
  7. deodom

deodom Old Racer

Oddometer:
    It cost me about $7.00 or so to mail 1 regular key to my gate lock to the mower guy in WNC from Florida. The post office won't take it as a regular letter because the key won't allow the letter to go through their high speed auto reader (so they say). The key was taped to a piece of printer paper, and was just a standard padlock key. These shippers (USPS in particular) screw us at every opportunity.:becca
  8. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it?

Oddometer:
    7 bucks? That surprises me. Overnight Express? It ain't the USPS that screws us here. It's UPS & FedEx. They are sometimes 4 times higher than the good 'ol USPS. And UPS really sucks, had bad issues with them.
    If companies won't ship here via the USPS I'm screwed & won't buy from them.
  9. Glacier Pilot

Glacier Pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:

And if you don't live in a larger town Fedex charges $60 for 2nd day air on a $3.00 part and then they throw it in the U.S. Mail in Anchorage and it hopefully shows up in a week or two, and good luck if you have a PO Box.
  10. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:
    USPS always has the best rates for everything I ship. They are usually about 2/3 the cost of FedEx & UPS.

FedEx & UPS only want the "easy" jobs.
  11. woofer2609

woofer2609 Less flow, more Gnar

Oddometer:
    I wish. Try living in southern Canada, the place that is 1/2 the distance between you and Rocky Mountain ATV. Only shipping option? FED EX.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Oh, that and add 20% for exchange. Free trade really did not help out the average Joe
  12. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    Whatever... :gerg

Back a couple-three years ago, when this wasn't even an option I paid over $100 to get a coasting enricher from an Auzzie Yamaha dealer.

Well worth the expense, too!
  13. woofer2609

Oddometer:
    Wise words. :thumb
    Seriously. Everything is relative. There is a beach in Vancouver accessible by only walking 500 stairs down a steep cliff. Nobody complains about the $5 beers sold down there that you could buy in the cold beer and wine store for $2 near the top of the stairs.
  14. woofer2609

Oddometer:
    A few Chain questions.
    My front sprocket is done, I feel my rear sprocket and chain still have some life in them. As practice I tend to replace all at the same time, but frankly I think the front sprocket is the only piece in need of replacement at this time. Probably 26,000km's on the 3. I'm pretty good with chain maintenance, Ok to change just the CS sprocket? Thoughts?

Second, anyone out there still using a non- o or x ring type chain? What are your results, and what kind of life are you getting from your chain and sprockets.
  15. heirhead

heirhead Worlds Worst Mechanic

Oddometer:
    Front $18.00. Just replace it.
    Why would you think non o ring chain when yours is still good after 26,000 KMs?

heirhead
    worlds worst mechanic
  16. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:
    I haven't had one in years. It seems like they'd be fine if you stay out of the mud & sand. They probably give you better MPG & power when new & well lubed.

I'm lazy, so I'll stick with the O-rings.

Let us know if you decide to try one. I'm sure they're a lot cheaper.
  17. woofer2609

Oddometer:
    I didn't want to accelerate wear on the remaining components, just wondering. I know with bicycle stuff your chain will start skipping if you install a new front and nothing else. Most of my experience is in that realm. I figure the situation is not the same with m/c's, but just checking.

Asking about non o-ring chains, because if I was to replace the chain at this time as well, I'd rather spend $25 than $67. Also, I am not sure the bike has another 30,000km's in it. I'll just throw a new CS sprocket on for now I guess.
  18. Nix2

Nix2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Last summer I changed only the front sprocket and chain on my XF650.
    The rear sprocket was fine but checking the front sprocket, I decided to change that one as well. Don't forget that the front sprockets circulate twice what the rear one does so not surprising they go first.
    If your rear sprocket and chain were definitely ok, I don't see any reason why you change just the front but next time round change the whole set!

Re different types of chain, I'd personally go for an X chain as they last a long long time. Even when I had the ZZR1400, I never had to adjust the chain in about 4,000 miles, same with the XF. :D
  19. woofer2609

Oddometer:
    I think I'll just do the front then, I have a new one in the basement.
    I'll get an x-chain next time round, but honestly, after bending the bike back into shape after riding in one of the more technical areas out here, I'm not sure it'll outlive the current chain. I should probably avoid taking this bike out there.

Honestly, I'm always amazed by what this bike can do with the right tires, psi, and judicious throttle.
  20. raptortrail

raptortrail Been here awhile

Oddometer: