Earbuds that fit under a helmet?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Chay, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Chay

Chay Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, i have looked into comms systems with speakers that go inside the helmet, and i have used a couple but they all have the same problem, they always drown out at highway speeds. Now i only listen to music when on the highway on longer rides so my normal earbuds are a huge pain to get in and they hurt after 30 minutes. I need something with a lower profile, but still sound good under 100 bucks. Any suggestions?
  2. ZEmann

ZEmann want to be riding

Oddometer:
    every one is different the ear buds that come with apple stuff really hurt my ears but I can wear this style all day

and some come with multiple tips so you can fine tune fitment
    [​IMG]
  3. Chay

Chay Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I currently use a pair of Skullcandy ink'd buds that are okay for about half and hour, then they start to hurt me. They are pretty similar in style so i dont think they would work for me, I am considering just hollowing out a small dome of the ECE foam by the ears, it is just a cheap old fly trekker.
    [​IMG]
  4. heliport13

heliport13 Banned

Oddometer:
    S2DUDZ-058

[​IMG]
  5. tenmile

tenmile Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Plugfones. I can wear them all day, and it drowns out the highway noise. Only problem is hearing friends when you stop to fuel up :rofl

http://www.plugfones.com/
  6. mt800

mt800 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've tried several different buds and as usual none work quite like I want them to. I'm not going to install speakers in
    my helmet, so I am stuck.LOL What I use now is a set of Denon buds, they come with different size cushions and sound
    pretty good. I like them cause they come with a short cord and an extension, I can change where iPod is located. Good luck!!!!!
  7. steveWFL

steveWFL Long timer

Oddometer:
    when a second best helmet bud won;t do here are the ones: <cite>www.[B]etymotic[/B].com

[​IMG]
    </cite>
  8. ZEmann

ZEmann want to be riding

Oddometer:
    those plugphones are smart !

I also have the skullcandy and they feel almost as good as my expensive sony's the sony was 60 bucks 6 years ago and they still work amazing
    I wear them all the time the skull candy I use for harsh environment like wet sports just cause they are 20 bucks
  9. Swashbuckler

Swashbuckler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went through the same thing a year ago. I bought a new Bell star helmet and the wind noise gave me a headache on the first ride. I did tons of research and ended up with Shures (link below) and have loved them ever since. Here's why:
    - They are form fitting with different size foams
    --- The mediums are perfect. Once the first foams wore out I was able to pick up a box of the replacements in just medium for cheap
    - They are almost noise canceling. I can't hear anything and keep music on a very very low volume, but I can hear when I'm high revving or horns.
    - They go INTO the ear and lay flat against the ear!! This is why I tried them.
    --- Other earbuds stick out and put pressure against the helmet. And since I wear a properly fit helmet the cheap earbuds are painful and get always get pushed out when I was putting my helmet on.
    - The wire has a little form fitting wire that goes over your ear and behind the ear helping it become a little more stable
    - The whole wiring setup to the amp is replaceable for cheap! I didn't realize that until I ordered the new foam tips.

So to sum it up. The Shures are high quality, amazing sounding earbuds, that fit flat against your ear and are semi-held into place. This makes putting on the helmet afterwards easy, theres no pressure, and you can custom fit them to your earhole.

The $100 pricetag is a putoff, but it's less expensive that hearing issues later in life.

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SE215-K-Sound-Monitor-Black/dp/B004PNZFZ8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1380776759&sr=1-1&keywords=shure+earbuds
  10. Kingsized

Kingsized Kingsized Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree with Swashbuckler. I've been using Shure for many years and can't imagine anything else working as well. The cords are a much thicker gauge than others, the foam "in ear" bud seals out all other sounds and the wire goes over and then behind your ear. This means it won't be pulled out when your putting on your helmet or if you reach over into your tank bag or elsewhere and accidentally catch the cord.

I had a pair of 425s ($300) and lost them on a backpacking trip. I've still not gotten over that. :cry
  11. zelig

zelig black 'tard heroine

Oddometer:
    Based on a recommendation from another moto forum, I tried MEElectronics... and LOVE THEM.

M9-BK Hi-Fi Sound-Isolating In-Ear Headphones:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0038W0K1G/

M9P-SL (adds Microphone) for a few bucks more:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0038W0K2A/

The M6/M6P have an over-the-ear hook design which worked with my old helmet but not my new one. (Note that the inline mic on the "P" models adds a failure point.) At twenny bucks or less it's a cheap gamble to possibly discover something awesome.
  12. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Those look to be a little thinner than the ones I have. I can get my helmet on, but I start feeling pressure around 60min. later. I wonder if these would be better...
    Currently using Klipsch x10. They're pretty good, and they bury in your ear, but the end sticks out and can bother me in my left ear only at times. Still looking for the Etymotic ER6i replacement:cry
  13. Tbone

Tbone off-ramp slayer

Oddometer:

No kidding.
  14. crazyjeeper

crazyjeeper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I also run a set of Klipsch image X10. They are pretty much the only ones that I've tried that can be comfortable all day for me. Once installed you can rotate them down slightly so they don't stick out hardly at all.
  15. warriorcole

warriorcole n00b sch00b

Oddometer:
    CycleGear has the Skullcandy brand on sale for $10. They work pretty well. I may pick up an extra pair at that price.
  16. Swashbuckler

Swashbuckler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Shures are what I would call "Noise Suppressive." If I turn up my music I can't hear anything else. But as long as I keep my music at a moderate level I'll be able to hear the important noises - such as horns, sirens, or my motorcycle at higher revs. The foam tips are real foam tips. You mash them down, put them into your ear, and you can hear them expand to your canal. Similar to any ear foam that you'd use for shooting guns.

The only problem I've ever encountered while wearing these is if you have to communicate with someone else. I keep my phone in my jacket pocket so when I arrived at a toll booth I couldn't hear a word the lady was saying and had to fumble around for a few seconds, taking of my gloves and trying to silence the music, before I could here her. Same apply's when riding with buddies. If you try and stop to talk you'll have a hard time hearing them. I've gotten used to my phone location so I can usually press the volume buttons through the jacket. But the chord is also long enough for me to run the chord down underneath my jacket, and out to my tank bag if I need quick access to the volume at all times.

And I've rode 5 hours with these in. They did get a little uncomfortable after that long, but having anything expanded in you ear would.
  17. CanyonRider

CanyonRider Celebrating Festivus

Oddometer:
    My setup - made my own:

Radian custom molded earplugs.
    http://www.radians.com/radsite/index.php/products/industrial-safety-products/item/radians-custom-molded-earplugs

Earbuds molded into the earplugs. You can use the cheapest or most expensive you want as long as they have the removable rubber tips.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003EM8008/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are youtube videos and instructables on how to do this.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmk-y_9exJ8

The molded earbuds, seal out wind noise and allow me to keep the volume down and still hear what's going on around me. They allow me to slide my helmet on/off without any problem or movement of the earbuds.

Works for me. Good luck,
    CR
  18. Bearcat263

Bearcat263 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fortunately I'm still using my ER6I's. not looking forward to replacing them
  19. CafeRacer99

CafeRacer99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use inexpensive Sony earbuds. I bought a few sets that were more expensive only to find that they didn't fit well under the helmet. Luckily the store I bought them from took them back. I've also broken the wires on a couple sets. So I don't want to spend a lot.

You might want to try several cheap sets til you find the right shape and size for you that is comfortable. Then you can look for the nice, sound canceling set that costs more, as long as it's similar to what you know is comfortable.
  20. RForestR

RForestR In the Woods

Oddometer:
    I ride with the exact same setup - Bell star helmet and Shure 215s. Swashbuckler knows what he is talking about +100

Suggestion tho, get an iPod remote (works with iPhone and I'm sure there are non apple products out there. I use an iJet that was shipped to me for $25. Hook up to your charging port on the phone and the controller is small enough to use as a keychain, or to stick somewhere accessible when riding. The controls are simple...volume, skip song, pause, and most importantly maybe, stop and volume. If you do have to talk to someone or simply want to turn off the music for a bit just do so and the Shures act just like a set of earplugs.