Australasian Safari 2012

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Stagehand, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    Well I went ahead and sent in my deposit and expression of interest, thought it might be about time to start a thread on it. :D Even though its a few months out. Already making a ton of plans and setting things in motion... its a little like standing at the top of the hill and rolling rocks down. They're hard to move at first, and seem like they go pretty slow, but I expect it will crescendo to a roar as it gets closer :D

Followed Seth's blog thread about it last year with enthusiasm... I've been dreaming for quite a while of participating in an overseas adventure such as this one.

I fully intend to finish this bad boy. Hopefully it will all work out successfully in the end.

Also already meeting a bunch of good folks who are very friendly and helpful, thanks everybody- you've been a great support so far, even this early on.

I figured it would be a good idea to send in the EoI and get that out of the way, and then all the details should work themselves out :D

Ah well, anything I can do to help, let me know.

Anybody else from the US planning on going, this year?
  2. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    Great news, Looking forward to following your progress! Taking the PD I'm guessing....
  3. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    welp, no... but it is an airhead :D

A gentleman down there named Paul Rooney offered to let me pilot his bike, down there, in exchange for gas money. He'll be doing service on it, also. I couldnt refuse.

Bike's had its share of tribulations, to be sure, but I have a really good feeling about this one :evil
  4. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    You+Airhead= Rally glory:lol3
    It occurs to me based on what I've seen, that if you can ride smart and keep the bike upright, the natural attrition of the rally will provide you a pretty good finish! That's pretty universal with any motorsports I guess:lol3
  5. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    Thanks, yes, Airhead or Burst! Keeping it upright is an integral part of my finishing strategy :lol3

out of the ditch and off the fence is the initial operating rule.. :freaky Most of the bike's prior issues seemed to have stemmed from crash damage. Mechanically it certainly cant be any worse than what I could do to it by myself.

You too, man, you keep that bike running and you'll be doing podium tequlia shots, no doubt. :jose Yee-paaa YEEpaaa! Andele!
  6. JayBo1

JayBo1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to meeting you down-under Stagehand:freaky. You've got my details if there's anything you need:deal. (A can of Orange spray paint and you might even be able to sneak into my pits:lol3).
    Cheers
    JayBo
  7. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    Thanks I will definitely be looking you up :D

Plans are afoot like mad around here- yes indeed I do need an echo and a EKG. :(
    Licenses..
    Need to book flights...

Got to get out to California in May for some roadbook practice... more flights and equipment, time off work...

20 miles every other day on a bicycle and 6k runs on the others...

uh.. oh and work, as well.

BUT we have a lot of time to make sure the bike is as good as it gets. No last minute stuff. There is something romantic about prepping my own bike and shipping it and all that, but frankly there's enough to worry about my first time out.
    Not to mention it wouldnt even be feasible any other way, right now. WHere the hell else could I get service and a bike ready to go for the cost of gas?

Currently equal parts excited and terrified, with a sine wave regularity :D

Here's a question: I got a hold of a bit of roadbook from last year's event. I can figure out most of the code, like KRAT and RXR and the like... but is there a key somewhere that would take my guesswork out of it? :D
  8. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:

Have you tried out that computer yet?
  9. Stagehand

Oddometer:
  10. Seth S

Oddometer:
    The safari roadbook was easy to learn:

RAR = ruts along road
    RXR = ruts across road
    KLAT/KRAT = keep right/left of tree

RGR/RGL road goes left/right

CRX creek crossing.
    mill = windmill

those were the most common.
  11. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    Thank you Seth.

BEing that the race is 21-29 Sept, with the Village opening on the 19th.... It would make sense to leave US on the 15th, get there on the 16th, at night, yeah? Is that about what you did, with a few days to acclimatize?

Probably leave on the 1st or 2st. (30 days has september....) we would have to get from Kalgoorie or where ever back to Perth, yeah?
  12. SafariBerg

SafariBerg Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer:
    The finish will be 1/2 day drive back to Perth on the Sunday, add a couple of days to chill once the bike is packed, Perth and the south west is really nice in spring !
  13. Seth S

Oddometer:
    get there 4 or 5 days before..leave a couple of days after. flying down was exhausting but it wasnt long to get used to the time.
  14. Tarheel Wheeler

Tarheel Wheeler Long timer

Oddometer:
    Subscribed! :lurk

Best of luck Stagehand. Will be really cool to see the airhead rolling at the Safari.

Ref adjusting body clock to time zones...rule of thumb is 1 day for every time zone you cross. That would make for one really sweet vacation in Oz. :evil
  15. Stagehand

Oddometer:

Thanks a lot, man. :freaky It was a real treat to catch you at Sandblast.

I ripped a couple of photos from Safari's facebook page, some of the route they are working on:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. Seth S

Oddometer:
    my internal clock worked better in australia than anywhere else. first day i got in around noon and stayed up till about 8pm. woke up around 5 am wide awake. was in bed by 9 or 10 every night and up by 5 or 6 every day....something that doesnt happen at home. i would say i just fealt fatigued for the first 3 days or so.
  17. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    That really couldnt work better, could it :D That would be great if that happened, I'm about 6 hours off that right now :rofl

Good luck, tomorrow, hope you get some sleep :D
  18. Seth S

Oddometer:
    thanks...feeling a little better thanks to the zertec...this is why i prefer to camp. Also...no official announcement but mentaly i am in for safar 12.....just have to figure out the wallet side.
  19. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    I think It deserves another chance :D That free shipping from the US could certainly push a lot of people who might be on the fence.
  20. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    Free Entry to Dakar for the winner of the Safari!

Australasian Safari recognised as one of the world’s key rally events with new Dakar agreement

Date: 27-Apr-2012

One amateur motorbike competitor in this year’s Australasian Safari will live the dream with a free entry into Dakar, the world’s toughest motorsport event, thanks to an agreement between Australasian Safari and Dakar 2013.

The Australasian Safari has been selected as one of only four events for the world’s most extreme and legendary offroad motorsport races to be Dakar Challenge events.

Organiser of Dakar, ASO, and the Australasian Safari have just signed an agreement that will see the winner of the moto category of the Safari receive free entry into Dakar 2013. This will be known as the Dakar Challenge.

Australasian Safari event director Justin Hunt said the agreement was an exciting step forward for Safari in gaining further international exposure.

“We’ve known for some years now that the Australasian Safari is our region’s toughest offroad motorsport event, but this agreement now acknowledges our status on the international stage.

“The agreement gives the Safari international recognition and further credibility as a major player on the world scene.

“For several years we have had strong international competitors come to Australia to compete as a serious rehearsal for Dakar and this agreement will hopefully encourage further international interest in our event,” Justin said.

Two car crews will be chosen from the Toyota 1000 Race Desert in Botswana and the Pharaohs Rally (Egypt), whilst two motorbike riders will be heading to South America from the Taklimakan Rally in China and the Australasian Safari in Western Australia.

A condition of entry into the Dakar Challenge is that entrants must never have participated in the Dakar, nor have finished in the top ten of an FIM all terrain rally.

The Australasian Safari, from 21 to 29 September 2012, is an eight-day endurance race that sees competitors travel mainly off-road tracks through the outback of Western Australia. The event is known as one of the toughest and most challenging motorsport events in the world. This year’s course will be approximately 3500km through the mid west of Western Australia.

Dakar 2013 is a massive 8000km race from Lima, Peru through Argentina and finishing in Santiago, Chile from 5 to 20 January 2013.

For full regulations visit:
    http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2013/us/dakar-challenge.html

Read the official Dakar release here:
    http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2013/us/out-of-race/news-2013.html

For more information on Australasian Safari visit www.australasiansafari.com.aou
    For more on Dakar 2013 visit http://www.dakar.com