Bicycle thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Zodiac, Jul 10, 2006.

1. reed523

reed523 To pedal or not to pedal

Oddometer:
  2. TheYeti

TheYeti Hard to be Humble

Oddometer:
    Good luck on your tour.
  3. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    Link's broken

I'll dig around s'more and see what I can find.

edited to add: I'm planning on a Paris-Roubaix homage ride on the first Sun in April. All y'all are welcome. I've got a half dozen or so stretches of pave (aka dirt roads) linked together. Bring yer box section tubulars and lets have fun!

M
  4. Mr Head

Mr Head Tired at the beach

Oddometer:
    Got some pictures of the two mtb wheels sets I have that need to go live elsewhere.
    First up are the modern set, 9-speed I think,
    $50 + shipping or offer?

[​IMG]

Rims

[​IMG]

Hubs

[​IMG]

Last set, oldies - Rear on the drive side has the seal missing.
    Free just pay for shipping,

Hubs

[​IMG]

Rim wear

[​IMG]

Rims

[​IMG]

Cassette 7-speed

[​IMG]

And Gummee! if you want those old computers, PM me an address.:wink:
  5. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    Hey Mr. Head: what say you unbuild them XT wheels and send the hubs with the 'pooters? I like that vintage stuff. :nod (and don't need the shipping OR the rims)

Hey Jeffy! Buy the other set. Screamin deal for what they are. :nod You can even have the spare rims if Mr Head unbuilds em for me! :thumb

Went for an hour toodle 'around the block' this PM. Was thinkin mebbe UW Hockey tonite, but since I haven't heard whether the pool's open or not (swim meet) and its 45min+ away, I didn't fancy driving up there only to hafta turn back around. :nono So I didn't wanna get too aggro today 'just in case' of UW Hockey, AND wanted to scout some dirt roads I thought I knew of. Turns out a few of em are gated off and the last one that I KNOW goes thru to Camp Upshur on Quantico MCB was gated off too. :bluduh This one actually had a lock on it! What do they think it is?! A military installation?! :baldy I'm searching dilligently for all the thru dirt roads in the area. Know of enough that I can make a ride out of em. :ricky Found a few more names on a map that *may* actually be roads. Lots aren't tho. Like the 2 I passed today.

Wore some new Louis Garneau bib knickers with some h2o proof knees. I guess I overdressed 'cause my knees were sweaty when I got home. :patch

M
  6. Jeffy

Jeffy Hmm...

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I sent him a PM on shipping.
  7. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    I already got rid of the oldies. Sorry Gummee!

But they are going to a good home. And my garage is going to be clearer, though there are these female packrats that keep stacking stuff on my stuff.:huh:lol3

Now, I need to go measure these wheels for shipping...:wink:
  8. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    Damn. Oh well. Next up? :ear Any M900 XTR stuff? How bout 7400 series D/A?

M
  9. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn, those tires are worth $50 each! :clap
  10. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    Tires are worn pretty good.
    They don't work so good on the stuff around here; sand and loose stuff.
    Or maybe it is the raked out shopper geometry the fork provides when paired with antique steel?
  11. Uncle Pollo

Uncle Pollo Bad Hombre

Oddometer:
    I haven't been on the bike for 2 plus hours for a long time.

Windy, but I soldiered on.
  12. Jeffy

Jeffy Hmm...

Oddometer:
    SHhhhh!!!! :deal :lol3
  13. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    14 miles today - a nice, simple 14 mile loop w/ a 6 mile off-road portion.

[​IMG]

My house is indicated by the green arrow. Beautiful day in the desert was a bonus.

The frame bag and other items from Revelate Designs (Eric Parsons)arrived today....pictures to follow in a day or two.
  14. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    phew. my son got back for the week from college, brought his 1977 Trek TX300 back... if you were following my dribble before, this frame was meant for 120mm 5-speed hubs, but had a 135mm 7-speed deore hub jammed into it, and it wasn't real happy about it... so I had scored a set of vintage DuraAce 6-speed 125mm wheels, along with a crankset that included a octawhazza sealed Ultegra BB, and my plan was to have my favorite LBS coldset the frame and true it up for the 125mm hub...

so I pulled the chain, the wheels, the crankset, and hauled the frame down to said LBS yesterday, a drizzly sunday. LBS is dead slow. head wrench looks at it, says we really don't like to do cold set kinda stuff, insurance yada yada, don't have right jigs (but the other guy said...butbutbut...) so he sticks it up on his work stand, measures it, hey, its 125mm now. uses a piece of string and hey, tis centered now. puts his Park Tools rear dropout alignment thing on it and hey, the dropouts are perfect. whoa. swaps the BB for me, hands me back the frame. I ask "how much?" he says, 'catcha next time'.

so bring it home. duraace+mavic wheelset fits perfectly. finish cleaning the rather gritty chain (arcata rains a LOT!), compressor-blow-dry it, dribble just enough triflow on it, install new octathingie Ultegra cranks, replace front triple derailleur with a 105 double I already had (bike wasn't a triple anyways, so wtf with the longarm Shimano 600 that was on it?), and sweeeeet.

oh yeah, took my chainsaw file to the brake calibers to drop the pads the last mm (frame and brakes were for a 27" wheel, bike has 700c on it), now pads sit mid rim and not right at the top.

kid rides it today, says its riding fast and smooth, and rides even sweeter than before (700x23mm UltraGatorskins FTW!).

I know, pictures, pictures. I still need to see if I can find a short arm rear vintage derailleur, like an older 105 or something, to swap for the Deore longarm it has, then I'll take a new pic.

meanwhile, said kid has new money making scheme, he'll buy CL bikes locally where they are plentiful and sell them up there in Arcata where they sell for twice as much. finds a 1985 Trek 420 61cm all original in decent riding condition for $100, hopes to flip it for $200+, good luck. I showed him how to use a chain punch and crank puller today to clean it up proper. only mechanical funny was the rear hub was a little loose, so I tweaked the cones (didn't even want to get in there and clean/repack), and poof, its smooth. the front axle feels kinda grungy but wtf, college students just want a roadie that gets them around, and this one has all the mounts for fenders and rack. double butted truetemper cro-mo, too.
  15. TheNedster

TheNedster Lurkapotamus

Oddometer:
    He may do well flipping bikes. Slim pickins in the Humboldt CL bike listings.
  16. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    Got woke up by the neighbor's dogs barking. ...and barking. ...and... :bluduh So I thought I'd sleep in and go play UW Hockey tonite.

Then I went downstairs for coffee and brekky and saw that it was already 50+. No effing way I'm not going riding when its this nice. It won't be too much longer. Wore 1/2 layer too many clothes, but WTF?! I wasn't in a jacket, didn't need shoe covers, etc.

Sure nuff! Later on in the PM: rain.

Tomorrow = 90min of wandering around looking for more dirt roads. :clap

:ricky

M
  17. Range Motorsport

Range Motorsport Junk collector

Oddometer:
    It was 70 and sunny when we started riding today, 58 and rain when we got back. I like this bike more every time I ride it.
    [​IMG]
  18. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    Weekends were made for singletrack

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We'll regroup at the top.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. VertigoCycles

VertigoCycles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    South Mountain?

I have a buddy who lives right off Chandler Blvd and I try to get out there every year or two for a long riding weekend. Fun riding out there.
  20. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    Mid 40's in temp this morning.. out for a 45 minute ride on the powerlines..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]