Brad Penn

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by vwboomer, Oct 9, 2012.

1. vwboomer

vwboomer Buffoon

Oddometer:
    Anyone use this oil? I usually stick with Rotella in everything. A guy at work who races a lot of 4cylinder compact enduros runs this and says a lot of other builders/drivers are using it and it holds up really well.

They make MC specific also.
    I tried a search on here but you know how that goes :huh
  2. Pro_Marinero

Pro_Marinero Carbon Sasquatch

Oddometer:
    Does it cost more than Rotella?
  3. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you going to race or ride like a racer ?.........don't get caught into the "best oil search" . It'll never end.
  4. silvergoose

silvergoose Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What is this company, a refiner, oil specfic, or just a label? What is ment by "holds up well" indicating that other oil fails, in what way? Sounds like a come on. Few people can out engineer large corp. like Shell Oil- Rotella is damn good. Have not heard of many users say rotella did not "hold up"

I get a little upset at the so called experts making unsupported claims about a product. Let us view the results of the oil tests ran by independent lab.

Smoke and mirrors.
  5. vwboomer

vwboomer Buffoon

Oddometer:
    seems to be about $5-6/qt so the same neighborhood as T6. I did tell him that Blackstone will give him a test kit if he wants to find out how well it is really doing.

apparently a lot of the stock car racers are running it in their high fallutin engines :dunno

a brief google didnt turn up any lab work on the stuff but someone has probably done it.

I am on the way out to the garage to swap T6 into my Adventure in place of the M1 I put in in june.
    Never hurts to check new stuff out, but I doubt many, if any, of us has had an engine fail, much less be able to pin it o a certain oil.
  6. Tmaximusv

Tmaximusv Separated at birth

Oddometer:
    seriously asking with background.

I ran t6 in my airhead RT b/c I had it around for my VW TDI. Thing leaked at several points so I didn't do that again.

Is there any harm in running t6 in my 1150GS if it doesn't leak? All the doomsayers claim the low viscosity will cause my wheels to fall off. :y0!
  7. vwboomer

vwboomer Buffoon

Oddometer:
    I can't speak to your GS, but my owners manual on the 950 says 5-40 is fine for lower temperatures, and several inmates on here run it year round :dunno

I was running 20/50.
  8. little foot

little foot seriously not serious

Oddometer:
    Brad Penn use to be Kendall motor oil, most drag racers use Kendall back in the day.
  9. HapHazard

HapHazard Be Kind - Rewind

Oddometer:
    ARG bought the Kendall refinery. The Amalie and Kendall brand names were sold to Conoco Phillips. Should be good stuff.

From Brad Penn site:

Our history

In 1997, American Refining Group, Inc. (ARG), a privately held energy company headquartered in Philadelphia, PA, purchased the Kendall/Amalie refinery located in Bradford, PA, from Witco Corporation. As a result of the sale by Witco, of the Kendall<sup>®</sup> and Amalie<sup>®</sup> brands to a third party, a new name was given to the products produced at the site: Brad Penn<sup>®</sup> Premium Pennsylvania Grade Lubricants. Founded in 1881 at the height of the domestic oil boom, the Bradford refinery is the only refinery processing 100% Pennsylvania Grade crude oil. It is also the oldest continuously operated lube oil refinery in the world. Due to the consistency of our feedstocks, the quality of our products can be traced from the wellhead to the finished packaged product. ARG's refinery and blending and packaging operations are ISO 9001:2000 certified. The Bradford refinery was the first in the United States to carry the ISO 9002 certification.
  10. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I spent some time recently building circle track engines. They use it all the time. The best thing I saw was a alcohol burning big block Chevy engine from a mud bogger that ended up upside down in the mud,unconscious driver WFO for 30 seconds or more. The intake manifold,several intake ports and a couple cylinders had mud in them. The inverted running meant oil starvation for the crank and cam. Two main bearings were scuffed. That's it. We replaced all the bearings crank and rods from a precautionary point but the engine was good to go. No crank,cam or piston damage. The shit works and works well in adverse conditions.

I just ran some of the 20W50 (not the MC type) blend in the Tuono for 5K miles. Towards the end it got thin and shifting became kinda notchy. Didn't bother to analyze and used another brand on refill 'cause I'm trying different kinds of oils but I'll use it again when I'm done testing.

It is good for older engines because of the high ZDDP content and tests a little thick for the viscosity rating. Look around bobistheoilguy.com for some testing data.
  11. C Squared

C Squared Now without TURBO! Supporter

Oddometer:

Good to know. I was a Kendall guy in my bikes back in the day...
  12. chollo9

chollo9 Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer:
    Popular in air-cooled Porsches. We probably put it in half of the cars that go through our shop.
  13. 74C5

74C5 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Popular with Triumph TR-6 guys (car not bike).
  14. cat

cat Long timer

Oddometer:
    :norton
    Do you mean that you used the vbulletin search function or you used google?

:1drink
  15. vwboomer

vwboomer Buffoon

Oddometer:
    both I think. that was a long time ago :deal
    I think my 950 likes the T6 better than the M1. Seems to shift quieter. hard to tell over the clatter of the cam chain though.
    Might try the Brad Penn next spring
  16. kruzuki

kruzuki Gear in the Machine

Oddometer:
    Drove through Bradford PA this summer- all the Kendall signs were gone. Brad Penn signs everywhere!

btw, Bradford is the site of the oldest contiunuously operating refinery in North America.
  17. scooteraug02

scooteraug02 Dog Rancher

Oddometer:
    What happened to D-A oil? Bardhal, Kendall and D-A were big in the 70s

I've heard good things about Brad Penn on the BMW GSpot site.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  18. mebuildit

mebuildit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Brad Penn makes good oils. We have used their break in oil with great success, after break in we always checked leakdown and if we felt that the rings haven't seated we kept running the break in until we got readings we were ok with. Our race oil we used Torco synthetic with good results on the engine side. But at $10 bucks per quart you have to decide for yourself.
    Just my .02c worth