WUMPA - my DMC R1150GS Adventure rig

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by DRONE, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Melrone

Melrone Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the same panniers on my rig.But the hinges on the right bag was moved to the front so the opens from the rearand lifts to the front.Just moved the hinges and latches....I'll look to see if I have a pic....:wink:
  2. crotchrocket3000

crotchrocket3000 b00b

Oddometer:
    What an absolutely stunning outfit!!!! VERY jelous!! :tb
  3. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Thank you Crotchrocket3000!

Following Claude's advice, I got a nylon strap and attached it to the lid. I didn't really want to drill a hole in the lid to mount it, so I drilled out one of the lid bracket rivets and replaced it with a bolt. Then I attached the strap to that bolt and to the hinge bolt. Voila!

[​IMG]
  4. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    I have 8 separate power lines going from the bike to the car -- (1) pink electric trim-up, (2) purple electric trim-down, (3) blue running lights, (4) brown brake lights, (5) green turn signals, (6) black unswitched accessory socket, (7) and (8) blue and red switched accessory sockets. I also have two separate white ground lines--one to the Fuzeblock and one directly to the battery. The power distribution happens behind the seat back as seen here--

[​IMG]

Yeah, I know -- it ain't pretty! But separate lines makes it easier to troubleshoot problems, and if one line goes out I have back-ups. Like for instance the running light line is really pretty much the same as the switched accessory lines. This whole area is protected by the seat back, which gets used even when the dog platform is in place.

I installed the Powerlet accessory sockets on a piece of wood glued (yes, glued!) to the seat support bracket. This way I didn't have to drill any more holes in the car, and the bracket provides some protection to the sockets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I chose this location so that the sockets would not be exposed to the dog when the dog platform is in use, and so they'd be handy to the passenger when the seat is in place. The sockets will be used for heated gear, for a heating mat for the dog, and for re-charging batteries on gadgets.

The biggest battery I take camping with me is the one that powers my CPAP machine. I can sleep three nights on one charge, and then recharge it during the day. It has its own protective case, so I can throw it under the seat and let it ride there while it's charging.
  5. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    And speaking of the seatback, I put it in and take it out frequently, and don't want to be fooling around with a screwdriver each time. So I installed some threaded brass inserts into the seat back and got some wingnut bolts to fit. Now I can take the seat out and put it back in quickly and easily without tools, and can even do it by feel in the dark!

[​IMG]
  6. AceRph

AceRph Retired slacker

Oddometer:
    That is a fine looking rig, Drone.

I like the Powerlet idea.
  7. gordonscott

gordonscott Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Outstanding! :tb That is one sexy outfit.
  8. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    One way to avoid drilling in fiberglass for this type of thing is to glass a nut
    or a bracket onto the underside of the lid. Various brackets, coupler nuts (long nuts that can be cut to a desired length) and such can be found at a common hardware store as well as fiberglass repair kits. Just food for thought. You did great.
  9. BeeMaa

BeeMaa Submariner

Oddometer:
    Drone - Looks good and definitely better than weather stripping on the pannier. Nothing left to do but ride...

Good call Claude.
  10. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Wumpa's first camping trip to Lake Chelan. Finally got some dirt! Needs some tweaking but I was happy with how it handled. Here's some pics.

Near Snoqualmie Pass. That's Kirby the Co-Pilot in the car--

[​IMG]

Mountain Home Road above Leavenworth--

[​IMG]

In the hills north of Lake Chelan looking south--

[​IMG]

Close to the 4500' snowline on Slide Ridge Road south of the lake--

[​IMG]

That was my turnaround point on Slide Ridge. I could've gone a little farther, but the snow had recently melted off this part of the road and the surface was pretty soft. In the next pic you can see how I was digging in. I was sure I couldn't make it to the top so turning around here made sense.

[​IMG]

Here you can see the lower part of Slide Ridge Road and the rain clouds that were starting to drift in--

[​IMG]

BTW, Slide Ridge Road is part of the Washington Backcountry Discovery Route.
  11. ClearwaterBMW

ClearwaterBMW The Examiner Supporter

Oddometer:
    what awesome pictures
    i'm so glad you added them here
    nice to see WUMPA "in the field"
  12. crotchrocket3000

crotchrocket3000 b00b

Oddometer:
    :freaky Looks great in the out doors!! and looks like it mostly stayed white ! :evil
  13. BeeMaa

BeeMaa Submariner

Oddometer:
    How are you liking your rear tire? It looks like it's doing very well on the gravel and hard pack. Aside from not wanting to get you bike dirty, how good is it in the mud?
  14. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    I'm not a mud monster. Prefer dry dirt and rocks. Definitely don't go looking for it. Hit some on this trip and got through it OK. Still experimenting with pressure levels. First trip--26 lbs. Next I'll try 30.

And I don't know what you mean about not wanting to get it dirty. Look at the 2nd pic in the post above--there is definitely some dirt on the possum scraper! Geez, some guys . . . :loco
  15. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    when you say 26....
    was that in BOTH the bike AND sidecar tire?
  16. Abenteuerfahrer

Abenteuerfahrer Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer:
    Drone....mind me asking what brand make is the front tire. I also need a aggressive front for the TAT in lieu of my 110/80R/19 Tourance. You lookin' awfuly good...:D... Thanks...
  17. OlyRider

OlyRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Elmer!!

Drone,

In your photos you appear to be using padlocks on your Happy Trail boxes. Many of us have switched out the stock latches for these:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=555262

Seems to work quite well. (Although I didn't have to drill out a new "lower" mounting hole when fitting mine.)

Great photos from Chelan. Nice eye. You missed seeing Clearwater's rig at SSBMW's Vendor Day on Saturday. He even put a decal on all his LEDs with his name on it! ;-)
  18. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    LOL
    yeah....
    there's probably a few folks around here who think i'm associated with that company....
    of course, after a child threw up on me today at the office...
    well... nevermind :D

[​IMG]
  19. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    I'm running 30 in the sidecar tire.
  20. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    The front tire is also a Heidenau K60 Scout--the current (old) style. Heidenau is in the process of updating the K60 Scout tread pattern.