AFX FX-39 DS helmet?

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by stubmw, Feb 7, 2011.

1. indykwak

indykwak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just received a silver 39, size large. So glad I called Brian at Atomic Moto to discuss sizing, I've worn XL in HJC and Shoei lids in the past and his advice was spot on. The Large in the 39 fits perfect, measurements they state on the helmet are accurate to the measurements I took with the tape. When I bought my Shoei RF-1000 a couple years ago I debated between L and XL, but the XL was more comfortable, but over a couple seasons the padding fades and I sorta wish I got a large, but not too big a deal. Can't wait to try it out on a 400 mile weekend in a couple weeks.

Also can say the quality is better than expected, not Shoei or Arai, but equal or better than HJC and similar helmets hands down. As others have said the strap is too long, but not a huge deal, easy fix. Optics on the shield seam fine. Very pleased.

Took a few phone pics while unboxing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. robotsthrowingrocks

robotsthrowingrocks pray for snow

Oddometer:
    Yes! My size/color is in! If we pre-ordered should we expect an email when they ship out?

Any word on the tinted visors?

I'm debating between a dark visor with clear goggles, or a clear visor with dark goggles. I have clear goggles already, so I'm leaning that way. If anyone is strongly opinionated one way or the other, let me know.
  3. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, you'll get a confirmation email when we ship. I will also post up here when they land at our place.

Visors....are on....the very...last shipment.....grinding my tooth enamel as I write this......I have no idea WTF they were thinking........

BP
  4. robotsthrowingrocks

robotsthrowingrocks pray for snow

Oddometer:
    :rofl

No worries. I'm patient on the visor. I've thumped my current helmet a few too many times now and anxious to replace it. Helmets are more important than accessories. I can always sunglass it or squint in the meantime.
  5. Crapflinger

Crapflinger n00b

Oddometer:
    :clapmy FX-39 is on a truck for delivery (according to tracking info). can't wait.

got a good ride planned this weekend (assuming the weather doesn't go stupid)

also, can't say enough for brian with atomic. i was looking high and low for anyone with this helmet in stock. he kept me updated (to the minute in fact) on their shipments so that i could order and get one shipped out in time. quality shop for sure!:wings
  6. Crapflinger

Crapflinger n00b

Oddometer:
    sweet. helmet waiting for me at the house when i got home. really nice...

it's a little tight in the cheeks, and it's a little funky getting my glasses on once the thing is on but it doesn't seem to be pinching. my head is 23" which is right under the limit on the M so surely the foam will compress a bit after wearing it....doesn't feel uncomfortable just sitting there though
  7. sanobs

sanobs happy Idiot

Oddometer:
    My M silver arrived yesterday,I wore it around the house today. The cheeks were a little tight but only initially. I have been wearing the 37 for the last 10 months. The 39's fit and finish is great. Attention to detail also, I am very happy with this purchase. Great service from Brian and Atomic moto. If you are hard on helmets, (read fall down), and are frugal,(read KLR) you would do well to check this helmet out. Good , safe helmets do not have to cost $ 400, unless of course you want them to.
  8. darkshadow

darkshadow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey BP

whats the word on the M silver strike?
    ordered mine last week.
  9. Brtp4

Oddometer:
    BH, about 10 more days on that size / color.

BP
  10. Vic-klr

Vic-klr TEETET Aventuras T el T

Oddometer:
    I got my today, gonna try it tomorrow

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

is a option for the a dark visor ?
  11. Rattletrap

Rattletrap When in doubt-Gas it

Oddometer:
    Got mine in last week and have ridden 200 miles or so with it. Nice helmet, kinda loud but only real complaint I have is the visor is too short. Needs to be about 2 inches longer to be useful, just for looks as is.
  12. Gravetter

Gravetter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Love mine. Wore it for Indiana's ABATE rider safety course. Basically, 10 hours of riding around in the parking lot with the sun beating on us. Fit great, worked great. No headaches after a long day of buzzing around. I actually found the visor to work fine blocking out the sun. Obviously more so in 11-1 hours. I love the helmet, especially after you factor in the price.
  13. cathulu

cathulu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anybody know if this helmet is available in Canada. Nobody seems to carry it in Vancouver???
  14. Brtp4

Oddometer:
  15. KZDon

KZDon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    N of 49 but actually S of 49 - it's complicated
    That's rather interesting, as I have yet to see an AFX helmet in any dealer in Canada, and AFX's website, although it shows head office in London, Ontario, lists only US retailers in its "where to buy" section.

In any event, BP, you seem to be the only dealer that actually has this helmet in stock, so take all the sales from the other guys and retire early. And tell AFX to add you to their list of preferred retailers ;)
  16. Brtp4

Oddometer:

To be clear, many dealers have them by now, but not all sizes / colors. Most are in, but a few remaining colorways are trickling in over the next 1-2 weeks.

We like this helmet, spent a lot of time studying it, and hope you work with us. But many other good shops have them too.

BP
  17. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman Back in Black!

Oddometer:
    I solved my problem with the cheek pads... I took them out :lol3

Not sure the XXL pads would be much better than the XLs but may be willing to try them when they become available.
  18. ThomasVolomitz

ThomasVolomitz New Old Stock

Oddometer:
    I have found this to be a great helmet and in a slow speed lay down it did it's job very well. My head hit the pavement quite hard and I lifted the Strom up and rode home.
  19. bharath316

bharath316 Madbull

Oddometer:
    Now totally confused on which color to order. I've got a Blue/Silver KLR.
    Marpat is cool n new. Silver looks very nice.

so many choices..... :-(
  20. nonamehorse

nonamehorse Concrete Jungle

Oddometer:
    BP,
    My silver M arrived today. Perfect fit! Many thanks to you and the BOMBERS for the great service and all the sizing assistance.