Alternative to Beadrider for seat comfort

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by mackdaddy, Nov 24, 2014.

1. mackdaddy

mackdaddy Finding my way Supporter

Oddometer:
    Okay,

After about 12 long year my Beadrider seat cover broke while riding into the office. A moment of silence. :-(

Okay, I was pretty happy with them for all these years as an alternative to a custom aftermarket seat being made for my butt. Heck, I even had an aftermarket seat and still used the beads. I wanted to know from the gang does anyone have any other suggestions besides beadrider. Thanks for any thoughts.
  2. QDogg

QDogg Hold my beer...

Oddometer:
    Scarborough, QLD, Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
    Let me be the first to suggest an Airhawk 2.
    :norton
  3. mackdaddy

Oddometer:
    Thank you. A little bit pricier than my beads but can you really put a price on comfort. :-)
  4. BootsandPants

BootsandPants Sprayer

Oddometer:
    Alaskan leather.

There's a thread around here in the Vendor's forum with an ADV discount. Awesome people to deal with, and very inexpensive for the comfort provided.
  5. DonM

DonM Do-dah Do-dah

Oddometer:
    Beads let you get that minty fresh feeling of cool air on the arse when it's sweaty hot out there. I like how one can quickly change the many pressure points that the beads provide. In cool weather, other methods probably do well.
    Dale402, PlainClothesHippy and Uke like this.
  6. Kevin Dixon

Kevin Dixon HMFIC

Oddometer:
    I have used the air hawk and thought it was terrible. The beads are wonderful though especially in hot weather. I have since replaced my beads with a 3D Mesh seat covering similar to that used in Kontour seats. It has made the stock seat so much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. johnpgs

johnpgs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Don't forget the Beadrider advantage in the rain of keeping your ass from sitting in a pool of water.
    Uke likes this.
  8. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is no substitute for the bead rider. The Airhawk and Alaska Sheep's Skin seats are poor substitutes.

Especially the sheep skins, I can't even tell it's on the bike, waste of money.
  9. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers

Oddometer:
    I have plenty of customers who use the Bead Rider with their seats-stock or custom. They place my waterproof seat covers under the beads in summer and over in winter when the air gets too cold as it flows under their "seat".

99% of reports from those riders are positive on the Bead Rider.
    Uke likes this.
  10. jbhawley

jbhawley WTF- Gus?

Oddometer:
    I'm a cheap bastard and look to save a dollar when I can. If you really like the functionality of the beads but don't wanna fork our 40-50$ for a new set, get a set of the taxi cab seat beads from Wally World. Then just cut them to fit your bike seat. You will have to unlace the beads but it pretty easy...just start about 2 rows of bead more than you actually need and unlace. I took a piece of 18ga wire and laced the outside of all the beads (outer edge); keeps them from coming unlaced during use. If you don't like the wood color of the wally world beads, then just paint them. An hour or so our your time and 10$!
  11. QDogg

QDogg Hold my beer...

Oddometer:
    Scarborough, QLD, Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
    Don't let a couple of negative remarks put you off the Airhawk 2. I've done 14 hour days on one, on and off road. They're adjustable, have good airflow, and mine doesn't pool in heavy rain. Still maybe worth considering as an alternative as per you OP. Good luck with which ever way you go.
  12. mackdaddy

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the great info everyone. Right now I think it is between the beads and the Alaska buttpad on the list.
  13. greer

greer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    One suggestion-- check the Fleamarket before you buy anything new; you'll most always find sheepskins and Airhawks for sale.

Sarah
  14. GHO100

GHO100 George

Oddometer:
    ATV Seat pad:

$19, I'm on my second one. Put the first on the Vstrom stock seat, and really improved the comfort and the ride.

Now I've got one on my r1200gs, which has the adventure seat. Good air flow, not too much. Can be taken off easily during the rain. Cheap, replaceable, and surprisingly comfortable.

[​IMG]

Amazon URL: http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Comfo...qid=1417017153&sr=8-3&keywords=atv+seat+cover

On the bike:

[​IMG]
  15. roger123

roger123 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

This, less than $10 and you can make it big enough to go far enough down the seat so your inner thighs don't get pinched. I've been running for years on three different bikes. Perfect for the summer.
  16. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    Ok ... I know this thread is old as hell....
    but here goes anyway.................

I found a wally-world seat cushion some years back for about $15 ...then took a waly-world beaded seat and cut a section to fit ...
    It's worked fine for 6 or 7 years.... but now worn out..........

Wally-world has stopped selling the covers....

I like the beadrider concept....
    but the price ...not so much...
    are there any beadrider "tribute" seat topers?
    There is one company on Amazon "Zone Tech" ... that is inexpensive

ADVRider discount from beadrider?

Thanks,
    says the Mexican cheapskate....
  17. Deleted4248

Deleted4248 Guest

Well you did dig up a fossilized thread...:D however iirc, some peeps have bought a beaded car seat cover and modified that. IMHO the original is still the best though and yes I was shocked at the price too as I bought mine about 10+ years ago..
  18. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Me too. This thread inspired me to put my 10+ year old beadrider on my 690. I forgot how comfortable it is.
    Deleted4248 likes this.
  19. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Ultracrepidarian

Oddometer:
    I put many miles on a beadrider on my FJR. I really liked the airflow and how rainwater drained away instead of puddling between my legs.

I came across this at the Slimy Crud Run this year:

[​IMG]

Apparently a new design from Seat Concepts. Looks like a lot of airflow and cushion, allows water to drain away.

I'm hoping they'll make a cover for my KLX400R .. I'm not tall enough to handle the 1/2 inch of a beadrider.
  20. alejo976

alejo976 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    9Realms likes this.