I stopped by the Harley Davidson shop.

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by tessalino, Dec 12, 2014.

1. JohnCW

JohnCW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you advocating anyone who doesn't like HD's for whatever reason and says so should be banned? That just sounds like censorship to me.
  2. JohnCW

JohnCW Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK got ya. No dissenting opinions allowed in HD threads in 'The Perfect Line'.
  3. pmelby

pmelby Home Brew Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Now I'm a fucking serial basher. Oh joy, I've finally reached my potential in life. I knew that there was hope.:clap

I didn't buy the bike because H-D wouldn't make a sale available. As I've already stated, there were no bikes available at the 4 local dealerships. I called out of state to find a bike to demo. And when I showed up for the demo ride, the bike wouldn't start without a boost. I'm not the lone ranger in this type of experience.

Why does it piss you off that I'm dogging on H-D about a bike that you would never even consider purchasing yourself? Shouldn't you be glad that H-D has given up that foolish effort to entice other rider's into the fold? WTF? It makes no sense to me.

I don't give a rats bare pink ass that folks give BMW a hard time about their weak effort at building a cruiser bike, the R1200C. So why the fuck are you so defensive and apologetic about H-Ds failure to sell a semi-sporty Sportster? I just don't get it.

H-D builds great cruisers and heavyweight touring bikes. WTF doe's it matter to you if I piss and moan about their failure in other styles of bikes?

cheers,
    melby
  4. greatlakestrout

greatlakestrout Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd buy a HD dual sport in a heart beat, if they made one today. I buy USA made as much as possible. But guess what, they don't, I didn't complain about it. I just bought a suzuki instead. I called the HD headquarters and inquired about the possible future possibility of one, they told me now way.

That is all we can do as consumers, is ask and maybe request manufactures to make what we desire. We (dual sport riders) represent a very very small part of the bike market here in the US. So to have what we have available to use, we should be thankful.

HD rocks by the way, they make great bikes. If I was rich I'd buy a XR1200 and set it up for off road and use it to cruse around and tear it up when I can. But until I get rich, the DR650 does just fine.
  5. sarhog

sarhog Ride far...

Oddometer:
    Did you speak with the department of redundancy department about the "possible future possibility"? :lol2
  6. Tgiby3

Tgiby3 Triumph Street RAT

Oddometer:
    I personally am not a fan of harley, of course i support everyone's right to choose!
    But, I do really like the XR 1200. A lot. It's not a bike i would go looking for, but if one ever crossed my path with the right price, i'd happily buy it.
  7. scooterintexas

scooterintexas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :rofl
  8. pmelby

pmelby Home Brew Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mr. Hexnut,

Is this or is it not a thread about the H-D dealer experience?

I stopped at the Harley Davidson shop and I was very impressed with the cute sales staff:drif, and also impressed with the line of bikes. This includes a nice Sport Standard the XR1200. The sales staff was really up on this bike and showed me the 10+ pages of accessories in the 964 page P & A catalog dedicated to the XR model, including three different seat heights and also bar risers that offered different pullback and rise. The whole package offered a bike that might possibly fit my needs as an aging, some what tall, trending to fat, rider.

One can only hope.

cheers,
    melby
  9. 131unlimited

131unlimited Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stopped by my local HD dealer today to order up a bunch of new parts, on top of my standard 11% discount (MVP for buying my bike there) they also gave me an additional Christmas discount and thanked me for my business. There were lot's of folks in the show room and the parts department buying stuff.
  10. greatlakestrout

greatlakestrout Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a few tonight lol nothing wrong with that. Maybe there should be a law against drinking and conversing on the internet:beer
  11. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where is this mythical market you speak of? Cruisers sell more than ADV bikes and most likely will for the foreseeable future.

This guy gets it.
  12. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes but how does that relate to what the factory churns out?
  13. JohnCW

JohnCW Long timer

Oddometer:
    I though the thread was actually about what demographic ride HD's, and if primarily older riders would this represent a challenge for the company in say 20 years time. Like all threads it digresses all over the place, but this was how it started out, at least as I read it.
  14. TheProphet

TheProphet Long timer

Oddometer:
    In November 2014, the OP had just started riding, had already dropped his new learner level bike, and noted that he had "less than" 2200 miles total riding time. In December 2014, one whole month later, he's looking to buy a V-Rod, and commenting on the bleak future of Harley Davidson.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1021627

Like fish in a barrel.:evil

Bob :D
  15. SCPancho

SCPancho Old farts riding club.

Oddometer:
    I am a 1200GS rider at the moment. It's for sale in fleamarket. Not sure what my next bike will be. I've always liked the XR1200. Went to check it out on the HD website. It's not iPad friendly. Had a hard time searching models. I looks like the XR is not in their 2015 line up. How hard is it to test your website on all possible platforms? Well, thats not an exclusive HD problem and not related to the bikes I guess. I am looking for something a little lighter, lower, easier to handle at low speeds, more street oriented. Maybe I'll try the used market.

Oh, I've visited HD dealers before. Had both bad and good experiences. The local guy was the only one there, beside me, and didn't have time to come out of the office to talk to me.
  16. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:

:lol3
  17. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    Visiting Harley shops is an "if you've seen one, you've seen them all" sort of experience. That's the foremost reason I gave up trying to ride with Harley riders: They can't pass a single freeking shop without stopping. Secondary reason is that I refuse to ride Interstates. Maybe the order should be reversed.

Oh, almost forgot. I kind of resent Harelys and the people who ride them. Fit and finish aside, they are a truly screwed up line of motorcycles yet the owners think they and the bikes they rode in on are somehow superior.
  18. 131unlimited

131unlimited Been here awhile

Oddometer:

You ride a KLR, of course you refuse to ride on an interstate! Here's a news flash for you and your old KLR with the homemade footpegs from the hardware store - no one that rides a HD and likes HD's gives a flying fuck what you think, ride or do.

It's also no shock that you resent HD riders, and manage to have some type of an inferiority complex when their around. :rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl
  19. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    I have 25 years of "when are you getting a real bike" that says otherwise. :lol3
  20. SCPancho

SCPancho Old farts riding club.

Oddometer:
    I don't agree with your dealer assessment. I've been to several dealers and they have different 'personalities'. Just like other dealers. The stuck up, go away if you're not wearing chaps' dealers are going away. The newer ones have the retail thing figured out. The reason the riders stop is for the t-shirt.
    :D

I have to admit I have a couple BMW t-shirts.

There are assholes on all brands. The HD ones just stick out because of the pirate uniform.
    CowboyFatBob likes this.