Broken seat lock mechanism R1100GS

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by klrmatt, Jul 1, 2011.

1. klrmatt

klrmatt Playing in the dirt

Oddometer:
    Hope somebody can help with some information. Is the seat lock mechanism the same for an 1100 and 1150GS. I have a 94 1100 and the seat lock mechanism is broken at both mounting points and I know of an 1150 being wrecked and was going to see if I could get the lock mechanism off that bike and mount my key barrel into it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Matt
  2. vintagerider

vintagerider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, as long as the 1150 is not an Adventure. You can do w/o that lock bar by securing the seat rail to the rear frame w/ROK straps. Once the seat is pulled forward it can not come out of the Z brackets.
  3. opposedcyljunkie

opposedcyljunkie Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer:
    You can also verify by going to the MaxBMW fische and checking if the seat locks of both bikes have the same part #.
  4. klrmatt

Oddometer:

That's an option if I can't find one, thanks for the tip.

Matt
  5. klrmatt

Oddometer:

Cool, I will have a look.

Just checked it out and it is the same part number. Thanks for the link to the fische, appreciate it. I will see if the one on the 1150 is in good condition and if it is, replace the broken one on mine.

Thanks again.

Matt
    Sefto likes this.
  6. Farnsrocket

Farnsrocket Gang Gang!!

Oddometer:
    Mine broke too and I was a able to fix it with some jb welding, small screws/nuts and thin strips of stainless steel sheet metal!
  7. Rick001

Rick001 Never too old

Oddometer:
    Mine was broken when I bought my R1100GS about a year ago. I cable tied it together, and with a little bit of electrical tape here and there, it had worked fine ever since.

A lot of them break, because people ram the seat on without turning the key to move the locking mechanism out of the way.
  8. klrmatt

Oddometer:
    Well the lug at the front was broken off where it goes into the front seat Z holder and the plastic at the other end that the bolt goes through was also broken. So used some loctite super glue and washers to do a repair job, when it was dry I put it back together and strengthened it all with zip ties to give some bracing and the seats went back on without a problem.

I will look for a 2nd hand one and put my key barrel into it. Easy to see how they break. I've only had the GS for 18 months and they were obviously already broken, the unit was holding on with zip ties. I was having trouble getting the key in with the system case luggage racks on and was wondering why things had moved, so did some investigation and found the problem.

Seems to be a common thing that breaks. Now need to build some kind of rear rack support as I want to put a topbox on for a trip that Rosie and I will be going on for 4 weeks. Looks like that is another part that is easy to break.

Love the GS and am slowly learning its foibles.

Matt
  9. vintagerider

vintagerider Long timer

Oddometer:
    KLRMatt: ["Now need to build some kind of rear rack support as I want to put a top box on for a trip that Rosie and I will be going on."]

Great idea. Caribou has pre-made ones. In the mean time cross bungee tie over the load in an X from the rear of the rack to the frame loops which support the passenger loops. Totally removes the load from the porter. Never had a rear porter crack doing that if the shim on the porter is correct. For the latter, remove the porter and add washers as needed.

Here's wishing a great ride for both of you.
  10. opposedcyljunkie

opposedcyljunkie Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer:
    Check the rear mounting tab for cracks on the plastic. This is the part that usually gives as a result of ham-fisted riders who punch the rear seat down.

11. KShow

KShow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    my rear tab was broken, and I was able to run a hose clamp around the subframe and mechanism to secure it, has worked great for years
  12. klrmatt

Oddometer:
    Great idea. Caribou has pre-made ones. [/QUOTE]

Excellent just checked the Caribou site and I think I will get a set of their rear rack supports. Thanks for the suggestion, they pretty much look like what I was going to design and get made.

Matt
  13. CSaw

CSaw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Matt,
    I am new to this game and know that I am off current topic but was wondering if you still have that 1100GS staintune pipe, or have I missed the start line??
    Cheers,
    Chris.