Sports Tourer versus Adv Tourer

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by coneye, Oct 15, 2013.

1. coneye

coneye Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Been a cruiser man , for most just about all the time i've road bikes , Honda cruiser , kawi , Harley , Cutrrently, rocket tourer .

Anyway the size and the bulk is something , ii have been used to ,Recently i boughty a 650 Vstrom , for long journeys it would be in a word HORRIBLE , but thats no concern because i did'nt buy it for long journeys and if they were on the cards , i would just alter it like i have done to all my cruisers .

But my question is this forgetting the fact that you have to spend on all bikes to get them comfortable , unless your lucky and find one to fit .

From what i've read most seem to be happy with there adv bike of choice , be it a tenere , or a v strom or whatever .

What i like about the v strom is its so easy to manouvre , light , yet plenty of power and a real joy to ride in the twisties , Thinking of selling both though and getting one bike . probably a v strom 1000 or a tenere , so i'll have them long tours covered has well , So heres the question how do the sports tourers compare , to the adv tourers ,

Your going to the blue mountains , your on a ride , to anywhere but always looking for them good twistie roads , example G.O.R, Tassie , basicly the roads that to get there , i like to go on the tourer but once there i wish i was on the v strom .

What would most do buy a bigger adv bike and make it comfortable , seat , risers ect , or go for say a st 1300 , fjr 1300 , and if need be spend to make it comfortable .

I love the fact that on this v strom i can now go down the dirt roads but i'm not a real dirt bike rider , i much prefer to ride the v strom in the twisty hills , because i throw it around easier than the rocket or harleys ..

Do the sports tourers handle the twisties better than the v stroms , teneres ect , or are they pretty much a much
  2. Bappo

Bappo Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you look at the bikes used for the Ironbutt Rally, which pretty much is the extreme edge of what you are describing, you will see that the bikes of choice are are sport tourers, big ADV bikes, and wings/LT's. So I guess it is sixes?

Another thing you will see is virtually everyone whether on a FJR, GSA, S10, RT, or whatever will add risers, suspension, seat like a Mayer or Day Long, and other similar farkles. It seems that what works is what works.

I have an S10 and love "sport touring" and also love riding to the Yukon and Alaska and exploring dirt roads. Not to say I wont some day get and farkle up an FJR or ST1300 but for now I am enjoying riding:clap
  3. AST236

AST236 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just my two cent's worth, but I'm currently riding an '03 FJR1300 and I'm wishing I had another ADV beast bike.

Having owned both a WeeStrom and a VStrom, I preferred the smaller bike by a big margin. Less power but still a good engine, plus it felt much lighter than the 1K bike. For the occasional long trip, it worked fine.
  4. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was in the same situation about 2 years ago coming off decades of riding a sport touring bike. Here's my take on it.

1. The riding position is a key difference between them. I found I really prefer the upright dirt bike ergos, a very large factor for me.

2. I do prefer less plastic on the bike and having it not so susceptible to rock damage etc. if you do choose to go down a gravel/dirt road.

3. I have found the longer travel suspension of the ADV bikes to be a real benefit out in the real world of not so great roads.

4. The Sport Touring bikes do offer better fairing coverage but I've found that the coverage of the ADV bike is enough for me, both often need work to get the best windshield setup for you.

5. As far as handling goes I find the ADV bikes handle as well as the ST bikes. I could easily make the same time on my Vstrom 1k or Stelvio as a ST bike in the twisties, maybe better if the pavement gets a bit bumpy. For reference I have test ridden the following related current bikes (C14, FJR13, S10, Explorer, GSA, Stelvio, Multistrada) I rode a BMW R100RS for a long time and have ridden the K100RS. I haven't tried the ST13, or Triumph's new Trophy SE yet. I'd like to ride the Trophy SE, the Sprint GT had too radical of ergos for me. I'd like to try a Norge to see how it compares to my Stelvio. I've rode several different sport bikes over the years and just can't get into them.

I think a test ride on the bike(s) you are considering will tell you a great deal.

A lot of riders have traded in a FJR for a S10. Some Norge riders have switched to Stelvios, the riding position is a key factor for many I've read about or known of, it was certainly mine.
  5. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    On top of the all the good comments made above, I would just add that another criterion is also engine configuration. Sport tourers tend to have 4cyl engines, adventure bikes tend to have 2cyl engines. Exceptions apply of course. The former are good for power, the latter for grunt. You appreciate the first on wide curves and long straights and the second on tighter and sportier conditions. In general, that is.
  6. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    yeah damn right it´s an awful touring machine. Can´t understand, how I once went half-way around the planet on one with my missus sitting on the back, must´ve been on drugs or something, cos we both seemed to have a good time riding that POS for six months..... :lol3
  7. coneye

coneye Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yeah damn right it´s an awful touring machine. Can´t understand, how I once went half-way around the planet on one with my missus sitting on the back, must´ve been on drugs or something, cos we both seemed to have a good time riding that POS for six months..... :lol3

nOW nOW Pecha be nice , after all I did say .......But my question is this forgetting the fact that you have to spend on all bikes to get them comfortable , unless your lucky and find one to fit...... I've spent lots of money on bikes getting them comfortable , its what you do ,, my rocket tourer , has a differnet screen ,, risers ,, cables because of the risers , touring seat , riders backrest , highway bars ,, all to make it fit and be comfortable .

Theres no doubt doing the same to the v strom will make it comfortable , its what you do , UNLESS your lucky enough to buy of the rack and be happy . .

Thanks for the rep[lies , i think you guys are only re afirming what i suspected , the adv bike is the way to go , i like the upright style , i don't need massive amounts of power , the rocket has plenty , which i don't use , I'm loving the easy handle style and love carving up the twisties ,,
    so all in all i think its wait for the new v strom , then compare it to the tenere
  8. FuzzyDunlop

FuzzyDunlop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I recently traded my Tiger 800 for a KTM 1190 R Adv because I wanted something with a bit more touring grunt and still have decent off-road capability, as I love doing gravel and dirt back roads and the occasional double track or technical trail. Haven't had it long but so far it's exceeded my expectations. The 1190 really is part sports tourer that can mix it with the sports bikes and part off-road demon, so your get best of both worlds with minimum of compromise. Unbelievable in the twisties and seems very stable off the tarmac. A little bit heavier than a mid size adv bike but lighter than its peers. Expensive but pretty well kitted out from the get go. Throw on a bash plate, radiator guard and a decent air filter kit and you're good.

The Tiger was a great bike and very good on and off the tarmac, but I had to push it a bit and it left me wanting more at times.
  9. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    No. I've held off super sports bikes with 3x my HP on the DL 650. Not saying I'm faster, but on the tight stuff I'm not slower either, the DL handles quite well , even compared with real sports bikes.

So, no, the Sports tourers won't be much better, just more uncomfortable by design.

I've had no problems touring Oz on the DL 650, admitted, changed the bars, modded the seat, but unless you are really lucky you won't get a bike that actually fits well without mods.

Pete
  10. kirb

kirb should be out riding

Oddometer:
    I traded my FJR1300 for a Guzzi Stelvio NTX for my touring duties. I still use by KTM 990ADV for some touring and any off-road duties. I love the ADV ride over the sporty ride of the FJR. I don't miss the other 50HP, either.

The Stelvio is a fantastic touring rig. Comfortable, handles great, upright seating, 8.5 gallon tank for 300mile+ range. The minivan-men tend to give you a wide berth when you are going down the freeway at 80 standing on the pegs to move around. I'd like to see what I look like when I do that.

KTM is an OK touring rig and comfortable with a Rezco seat. Range without safari tanks is 150 miles (ick). wind protection is limited. It does haul ass, lighter, and is a tank off road, but you give up a little on road for that.

The Stelvio could be my do-all bike, but it is heavy-ish. Not at all unlike a GSA (not the factory weight lies, real weight with all the gear). I love the ADV riding position, so that is my touring rig choice until I need to be 24" off the ground.

I could see touring on a 650Vstrom. Great bike, great motor as long as your own personal dimensions are within reason. Not a great bike for two girthy people.
  11. Suddenstop

Suddenstop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's going to be hard to get anything other than adv bike recommendations on an adv bike forum. Many folks have traded in fjr1300 etc to end up on what was for them the right choice.

For on road use, keeping up should not be an issue. Reality is a super sport does 90mph in first gear and is useless on the street. Take it to a track and then you will have trouble keeping up, on streets bikes today are so good it's a different story.

What I have found after much research is that over thinking can be a bad thing. Every forum has good and bad opinions on every bike. When you find the right bike and fall in love - it's about grinning every time you ride the bike.

I am lusting after the new v strom 1k, but won't know for sure until I see it and drive it. My neighbor has the s10 and is tickled pink and rides it everywhere. I put miles on it and found for me it was bland and boring though it checks a lot of boxes. Course I prefer knobbies on the street because it's just funner.

Like most other folks on the adv forum I think adv bikes are the perfect mix for the real world.
  12. ArkieRider

ArkieRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I made the mistake of buying a 2013 FJR before really doing a thorough evaluation of what riding I would be doing. Sold it after 1200 miles and a test ride on a Super Tenere. Definitely the right move for me. I'm much more comfortable and have more fun on the S10 everywhere...twisties, highways, interstate, around town and now I dont have to stop when the roads turns to dirt. Love it...best move I ever made.:clap My pillion actually says the S10 is more comfortable than the FJR also. I'm hooked and will always have an Adv Bike in my stable!
  13. coneye

coneye Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Most answers just seem to confirm what i was already thinking , I suppose its true an adv forum will probably favor the adv bikes , but on this forum most seem to be a bit older and owned lots of different bikes , and less likely to be rattling the sabres just because they own one.

Like i said all the bikes i've owned have had money spent getting them to fit , but the v strom when i'm in the twistes fits like a glove or it could be i'm enjoying it so much i forget the ergonomics .

But when i jump on that big elephant the rocket , Jeez its comfortable , so i'm going to wait for the next v strom to come out and then compare it to the tenere , and with a bit of luck i could end up with the perfect bike , or just keep the perfect combination .
  14. bighairless

bighairless Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm too tall for the sport tourers, they just don't fit me. The not 'fitting' (comfort) part means trying out the large ADV bikes. I had a 650 strom, which I liked enough to worry when I first traded up to the Tenere. I put 18k miles on the Tenere and really enoyed it, it's a great bike...but I wanted more sport tourer, sharper handling, more power, more road bike. I wanted a sport tourer with large ADV bike ergos. I found what I wanted in the Triumph Tiger 1200.

You might want to add that one to your check out list.
  15. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    Having done the BMW 1150 GSA, a DL1k, DL650, and KTM990 here is my take.

All of the prior comments and observations are correct. And wrong..

It is all a perspective thing.

Best advice I can give to someone in your shoes is look at what works best for you.

I cant stand the cruiser riding position, I hate having my feet in front of me. You really cant ask for advice on something like this when you have already had so much exposure to so many different bike.

What it comes down to is what is comfortable for you, in other words you have to decide what is best for your kind of riding.

I have 120K miles on the DL650 right now and use it to commute for work and such. It runs out of poop two up and any time I get above 5K in altitude. If I was looking to tour that would be the reason not to take it, lack of power.

That said you have a lot of choices out there for alternatives, it just comes down to whats comfortable and within the wallets reach.

My .02

Good luck in your search...
  16. mcmann

mcmann Kid at Heart Supporter

Oddometer:
  17. coneye

coneye Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes its all subjective ,,, myself i can't stand feet forward , my rocket is so comfortable because i'm sat upright no lean forward whatsoever , feet on boards . a really comfy seat with a backrest , bikes been lowered so i can reach the floor , but its still a tanker , great 2 up , fantastic long distance , and heh even short boulavard journeys it turns heads ,

But that v strom is fun , but even that at the moment has me leaning forward a little , and after 2 shoulder reconstructions i get sore easy , what i can see for the future is a tenere , v strom 1000 , or similar , made to fit , lowered properly through shocks and front springs , good seat , bar risers ect ect , and a bike thats fun and comfortable to ride to the G O R , and heaps of fun when you get there ,

I could spend on the 650 but naw i would only spend big bucks fitting out another bike if it had the cc's i want for touring .
    The rocket unfortunatly is comfortable getting there especelly for the wife , but once there its hard work , and the missis, well i think her days riding bikes are numbered , hit 60 and you don't bounce or recover has well , so getting on the back is something i now tend to discourage her , rather than encourage .
  18. Reverend12

Reverend12 Well there it is..

Oddometer:
    I have a FJR and a Super Tenere, Both are great bikes, but they are completely different machines.
  19. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I came off an FJR and went with a Tenere. Fits my old bones better. My FJR owner friends
    took this video of us riding together. The Tenere is in the middle. The Tenere held it's own very
    well in the corners. I had a DL 1000 before the Tenere. Nice bike but the Tenere is nicer.:evil

:hide

Very versatile, tours, sport tours, off roads and runs errands.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5pQ1sLe3244" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  20. bleedgrn

bleedgrn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    S10 nicer than the DL1K, TBD once the new one is released. I think you are on the right track waiting for the DL1K for comparison. I own a 12 DL650 heavily farkled to my liking and ride primarily one up. Agree, in the twisties with the suspension set stiff, this thing rocks. Riding two up, adequate but honestly I drive more conservative with a passenger, so to me not a big deal. I test drove the 12 DL1K and almost bought it, but found the 650 to be better, for me at least. If I was to trade in, I would be comparing the 13 DL1K and S10 for multiple reasons. Price is right, more than enough bike either way. Comparing to sport tourer, riding position is everything. I once rode from Monterey CA, to Minnesota on a CBR. Most uncomfortable ride of my life, but it was the tool I had at the time. In the end, I think you are on the right path.