The All New LIQUID COOLED R1200GS threadfest

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Dorsicano, Feb 3, 2011.

1. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    They got ya covered...standard halogen lights, with LED running light option should fit the bill nicely for you!
  2. herrdirektor

herrdirektor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    I say 2014 will be the year of the GSA, since BMW has made changes in their production/quality lines. They will be capable pull it off to release, pretty sure about that. My dealer thinks 2014 too, and he visits Germany often enough. Time will tell.

Just as I was thinking that my previous R1200GSA (2008) was just about the fugliest bike BMW could ever think of, they came out with the design of this new WC boxer. Bravo, bravo ! It is so ugly, it blots out the sun, thus increasing the adventure experience too. Only thing for me left is to wait for an even uglier ADV version, and yours truly will return to the realm of the GS world. For now I'm by far too happy with my totally different animal, the K1300S. (My R80 1992 boxer does take part in this or any discussion).

Opening my oversize bag of popcorn, and awaiting the developments.

:D
  3. Marki_GSA

Marki_GSA Long timer

Oddometer:
    Apparently BMW announced yesterday that the GSA will be shown at next year's show. I haven't tracked down the announcement yet, will post it when I do.
  4. genka

genka Stand with Ukraine

Oddometer:
    In infancy on a consumer market. In commercial application, where the labor costs and downtime come into play LEDs have been in use for quite a while. Semis have had LED tail lights for decades. LED traffic lights, flashing emergency lightbars are at least 10 years old. All newer city buses here in Baltimore have LED headlights, and many of the old ones have been upgraded. LEDs have a proven reliability record.
    Having said this, I'm afraid to think what BMW will charge for a replacement LED headlight assembly. I won't be surprised if no components, even front glass or fan will be available separately.
  5. khale

khale ride dirty

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry, but I don't recall any replacement part being cheap on a BMW. Why would anyone be surprised if it was expensive. I messed up my left side panel and to replace it as an unpainted side panel was fuckin $350. So the rule of thumb is, buy an expensive bike and have fun, just don't break anything.
  6. herrdirektor

herrdirektor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I told (you all) so........
    :D
  7. dmac57

dmac57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Links or it's urban legend.

:fitz
  8. RetrogradE

RetrogradE Banned

Oddometer:
    Fellas,

For two days after this bike was released (last week), it's like I had taken rhino horn--I was hard as a rock for this bike and would've paid the king's ransom to have it.

But, the excitement has worn off.

I love BMW and have for years. I've owned 1150 / 1200 GSAs and loved them. I'm a little tired of BMW progressing their tech to the point of over-complication. My 1150 was cake to work on. The 1200 was harder because of CANBUS but still not a big deal. But I fear this new bike is going to be $20k plus the sexy options that I want and that's just too damned much.

At this point, I'm thinking a used 1200GSA or finding a used Tiger Explore or Tenere. The Tiger has a wet clutch, triple cyl, etc.

Anyway, not that any of you care. . .
  9. genka

genka Stand with Ukraine

Oddometer:
    Why was it harder because of CANbus?
  10. khale

khale ride dirty

Oddometer:
    Base price for the base model will be less than 18k is my guess. 2012 Ducati multistrada is $16995 and that's the direct competitor in the luxury market.
  11. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    BMW has stated the base price will be the same or less than previous model, however, they may throw the cost of ABS into that number since it is now standard, not sure. So it should be quite a bit less than $18k in the US at least. So somewhere between $15,500 and $16,500 perhaps? But there are tons of options and you know they ain't gonna be cheap, so fully loaded ya, over $20,000.
  12. NoobIAm

NoobIAm Far, far from the Garden.

Oddometer:
    This is really no different than replacement parts in the auto industry… it's always cost more to assemble a vehicle from parts, than to buy it outright. That said, I think the issue here will become, just how deeply BMW will part out the sub-assembly for the headlight module. If they don't break it down, it will cause headache, but not necessarily an insurmountable problem, given the power of the Internet for research and procurement.
  13. RetrogradE

RetrogradE Banned

Oddometer:
    When I wanted to add some electronics (such as hard-wiring a GPS), I could just tap into the fuse box on the 1150.

My 800GS and 1200GSA had to have relays, etc.

I'm not saying the CANBUS is a deal-breaker, just that it's more complicated.
  14. RetrogradE

RetrogradE Banned

Oddometer:
    Right, that's exactly my point.

$15,500 is doable. Even a grand more, sure. I don't finance anything so the lower outlay of cash the better.

The problem is: I want it all. LED, cruise, etc. No ESA, so I guess "not all."

But you add the LED, cruise, panniers, and then a few signature farks to make it your own? Then tax-title-doc fee-license-insurance?

Sheeeiit, it's too damned much.

Then you compare it to a private party 2nd hand bike and all of a sudden you can afford to wait 5 years for the "new" model.
  15. khale

khale ride dirty

Oddometer:
    We can guess what the price is until we are blue in the face. When it arrives and if you really want the bike, you'll get it. I pay cash for all my goods as well. If it exceeds 20k for base model, I'll buy it 2nd hand in 2014. I'm still perfectly content with my 2005 GS, but looking at all the specs on this new girl has me pumped.
  16. NoobIAm

NoobIAm Far, far from the Garden.

Oddometer:
    In reading through the .pdf that BMW released, I noticed what may amount to a significant change to engine longevity. The main crankshaft bearings have been reduced in diameter by 5 mm, and the connecting rods have had their width shaved at the crank. All of this adds up to higher stresses on the bearings, which leads to greater wear in a given timeframe. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out against the current boxer engine.
  17. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    That's a non-issue. Sure there is no fuse box on Can Bus bikes, but plenty easy to wire accessories. BMW even provides an accessory plug for GPS wiring.
  18. Marki_GSA

Marki_GSA Long timer

Oddometer:
    They have been making small bearing cranks for years without there being issues. In the same specs you will see the crank is made of different material. It's all in the name of lower friction better fuel economy. Lower friction to me says lower wear. In a perfect world the crank should never touch the bearing. Large bearings are from the days of poor oil and pumps. Will you be able to use the old 20w50 dino juice? Probably not. Wait this is going to turn into a which oil now :-(
    It's quite funny really, there are two distinct camps. One who wants things to stay just the way they are with no advancements. Just leave it in the past and they will be happy. The other camp that want all the new stuff and the benefits it brings. First there was the I don't want electronic ignition, points are where it's at. Then there was I don't want fuel injection and now it's woh eth me they have gone and made an electronic headlamp!

CAN bus never has and never will stop you putting anything on your bike. It's a data network similar to say your Internet connection. Would you blame your Internet connection when something in your house screws up? It's the ZF unit that stops you messing about. Simple enough to bypass with your own fuse box off the battery should you wish.
  19. RetrogradE

RetrogradE Banned

Oddometer:
    Everyone just relax about CANbus. It's a fine system.
  20. Beemerlover

Beemerlover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah. If they make the 14 GSA in matte purple with chartreuse accents, a neon-yellow frame and a huge, leaky plastic tank (12 gal. or so), that'll be just perfect!! :clap