Alaska on a BMW K1600 GTL

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by judgebill, Jun 22, 2012.

1. ClifNotes

ClifNotes Facebook Me!

Oddometer:
    2012 jul 16 0152 @ banff alberta canada room 301

an advrider friend advised me to sleep early... and i decided to take his advice!

then, i changed my mind and went down to wash the gtl. i wanted to wash bill's, but I didn't have access to his key. Anyway... i might tip his bike over. bill has sat on my gtl once before - just to ride a few feet to show me how to use the clutch. but i've never ridden bill's.

cindy's still looks clean and could have conceivably looked dirtier if i washed it (because i don't dry it off).

everything is charging now - the canon hd motion camera, shuberth helmet, the gopro, the 2 sena intercomm devices... imagine the horror i had this morning waking up from passing out last night - and finding NOTHING HAD BEEN CHARGED!

i'm beginning to realize that there's a whole world on here. there's a lot of REAL people, nice people, expert riders...

is advrider.com the most popular motorcycle website? who made it, and why? there doesn't seem to be any ads, so how do they have the money to maintain it?

i read the wikipedia article about that guy that rode 500k kilometers. i'm still not sure how he raised enough money to travel. and... because gas is really expensive!

after i washed the gtl, i did what any crazy person would do and started riding it! I couldn't leave the parking garage because I don't know the code to get back in! remember? i just follow bill and cindy. they take care of stuff like... when to get gas, where to go... i didn't even realize i was in alberta until midnight here.

i'm beginning to wonder if it's financially feasable for me to ride the gtl to uruguay. if income must be derived while i'm "touring," i need access to internet.

cindy seemed to indicate today that i would probably tip the gtl over if i tried riding to uruguay - and that question came from another advrider's admonishment that i'd tip the gtl five? times if i tried that journey.

or... maybe it was a friend of bill's that later joined advrider.

you have to understand the surprise people have to learn we're from LA. most bikers are from nearby places in canada. and perhaps for certain reasons - including our relatively light packing - they expect we're somewhat local. So that and seeing the absolute explosive combination of bill, cindy, and me - a lot of people we meet in person come onto advrider to find us. that's exactly how some motorcycle friends we made posted here!

i am really concerned about the near future.

i don't think it's a good idea for me to start work in LA. Remember? the last family I worked for, I stayed with them about 11 years. i think people like me. i definitely like other people. so when i start working again, i tend to really enjoy the people there and i'll stay there forever - as long as they don't run out of money to hire me.

because if i start working in LA, i might as well tell everyone here that the tour is over... unless you think ride reports about the i-10 and 5 freeways are interesting. who knows? maybe i'll find a black bear cub. grizzley cub.

so... what i've been considering is to try the "sink or swim" thing.

i should get the gtl completely fixed. then... just set off.

should i travel the US first, where there's internet and english speakers?

or... should i go south and try to catch up with bill?

i asked cindy to come with me, but she said no. I don't remember the reason why. maybe she doesn't want to be kidnapped and have our bikes stolen. or "tent" on the way there.

we have accumulated possibly thousands of hours of footage. the gopro is often recording. canon hd motion camera is sometimes recording - sometimes both are recording at the same time!

so i'd like to work with bill to compile some of the best footage in a dvd.

i don't think i can do it by myself.

what is the definition of touring? what if you only ride 50 - 100 miles a day? or, you stay in one place 3 - 7 days?

i feel like the way a lot of people tour is like watching the movie Top Gun in 90 seconds... it's not a lot of time to get to know people, or to get to know a place.

dynamic. i think one aspect i'd really like to have if i go ... if i continue this tour is interaction.

i'd like to meet people and if they allow me, to get them on film. the upload it to youtube.

my destinations could partially or even in large part be set by advriders - or people watching the journey.

if bill or cindy wins the lotto in the next 2 weeks, then we'd probably be able to set our own destination.

but if i end up going on tour myself, i'll probably involve all of you a lot more.

tonight i looked at a rr about some couple and small kids? - something to do with her brother dying at 31 and her photos were just... i mean - UNBELIEVABLE. Beautiful, striking, and again - unbelievable.

what an excellent rr. her photos are much better than mine. so is her camera.

and... i read other RRs that are more risky.

what i'm getting at is... how did this rr get so much attention?

there must be a lot of reasons.

but look at the result... the result is that advrider has somehow created... or may be potentially making a "virtual rider."

remember... was it yesterday? i wore the dianese because ya all told me to? actually, thanks for that. i was sweating hot most of the time. but towards the night, IT STARTED TO GET REALLY COLD! and i was grateful i took your advice. (and for good measure, bill read your comments and told me i should listen to you).

what if some or many destinations could be set by all of you?

redbuddha i think asked about frost heaves. another one of you had a sign in alaska? you wanted to know if it was still there?

would a tour be feasible or work or still have this interest if i rode around and took photos and videos of things you're interested in?

i also started to think about a higher purpose for going on a tour. theoretically, i could try to make a large income from youtube and just go wherever i want and just ignore all of you as i write my posts.

wherever? have you peeps figured out that in some ways (or maybe it is exactly that way) i don't care where i am? i ride over time zones, national boundaries, territories... and i'm pretty oblivious to it.

i do remember the animals. and people i meet.

so let's say i find a way to go on tour. and i just keep posting pics of where i've been and how nice the ride is... but in a way, what good is that? i mean - it's great for a vacation. but i'm thinking about trying to do it for a VERY LONG TIME. so... if i did that, i'd want a higher purpose to be touring.

if i just wanted to be comfortable, i could just stay at home and play with Roro, my cockatoo.

but if i'm going to go out and tent all the time (which honestly, doesn't appeal to me at all), and have that constant struggling feeling from not having a permanent place - i should be doing something more.

plight.

there are homeless people, are there homeless kids? i think...

you know what? i think people are often ... they feel detached from other people that suffer in different parts of the world because we're given their news of suffering after so many filters.

what if i was riding around and uploading stories of people... they don't have to be suffering so much, but just ...

yes... i'd need a lot more time, the focus of the tour would be different. but i think it would be interesting to give aid or help to people.

how do i find them?

go to soup kitchens?

maybe i can HUMANIZE other people suffering - so those that have abundant resources can help them.

maybe helping people that are in need is really helping myself - because maybe the most Christian or "good" thing we can do as human beings is to help other people.

it feels potentially hypocritical to be talking about helping others when i'm riding the most expensive bmw motorcycle that's ever been produced. but... look at the reasoning and history, the motivation... and then there should be understanding.

ohhhh... scattered thoughts because i can't see the future.

really tired... it's 2:35am.

i know i'll wake up feeling tired. but at least everything will be charging. better than today when i woke up and pretty much had no idea what was going on at all... (THEN AGAIN, getting drunk last night actually allowed me to sleep many hours. i'm not encouraging anyone to drink - but i have to admit i felt good from all the hours of rest.) and again - i didn't drink but a few small sips today. i was a good boy.
  2. ClifNotes

ClifNotes Facebook Me!

Oddometer:
    after i washed my gtl, and rode it in the parking garage, then washed the tires again... i looked back at it. i stopped and stared. something.... was different.

you know what it was? my gtl SHRANK.

yeah, it got SMALLER!

i was wondering why it seemed so tiny, and i realized that after all these miles and the increase in comfort riding it - it no longer seemed like a "monster." In fact, I used to call it a monster in my mind. i just couldn't manage it.

the gtl, for me being a new rider, has the abundance of power and JUST ENOUGH unpredictability that i wonder if i'm starting to love it.

i can't really recall ever loving a machine before. and i ask myself how i can love my gtl when i can replace its parts - or even buy a new one.

just like having a long time pet or girlfriend, you also get used to positions that work for both of you. one position i've developed recently is having my feet on the passenger pegs, my chest all the way on the gas tank, one hand on the handlebar, and one hand gripping the edge near the part where the flaps go out to create more airflow for the rider.

it's really strange! i don't talk to my gtl much, but... i really feel like some kind of attachment or love is forming. it feels really... weird and... makes me self conscious to write this. but once i start riding, and the gtl produces so much sensation - the sound, the vibration, responsiveness to different gears and throttle.

is it wrong to love a machine?

is jesus mad at me for loving a machine and not people that are in need?

whatever... you peeps will help me figure it out
  3. AZbiker

AZbiker Say hi to the bad guy

Oddometer:
    Clif, this forum is owned by an inmate named Baldy.

He also owns www.smugmug.com which is a photo hosting website. Profits from smugmug pay for the bandwidth advrider consumes.

That is why I pay to use smugmug instead of any of the other free hosting sites.

Now you're starting to understand why some of us get so torqued when someone messes with our bike.

When you get back to LA, hopefully you will be able to find some lightly used parts from eBay or somewhere else on the internet to repair the crash damage. There are a lot of people on adv that know how to turn wrenches and I bet they would help you. Use the dealer for warranty work and the more complicated service stuff.

You didn't hurt the frame or do any lasting damage.
  4. steve_k

steve_k Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Cliff, here is a picture of Emilio Scotto’s Gold Wing that I took last year when coming home from Death Valley and spent the night in Laughlin, NV. I think that might be the only bike in the collection, but it was still worth the time to visit.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

http://www.riversideresort.com/entertainment.aspx?id=175

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. Dirt2007

Dirt2007 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Someone with some skills needs to photoshop some sponsor stickes on Clif's GTL:wink:
  6. ClifNotes

ClifNotes Facebook Me!

Oddometer:
    Thanks - I will discuss this with Bill and Cindy today
  7. MoToad

MoToad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cliff,
    I am about to embark on an extended adventure myself. All the questions you put down to print are valid questions. It's great to read them and apply (remind) some to myself. Our adventures are as different as night and day in that you are like a brand new Wikkipedia open to gathering any and all experience on the subject whereas I am a wee bit more seasoned at this process. I will be tenting more than enough but I gotta say that in that respect, we are not dissimilar. I grew up doing the great outdoor thing but 20 years of family and child rearing put a real damper on it. Getting back into a tent took a couple of years of relearning. The biggest thing was to realise that there was really no need to buy on of these puny one man rigs to save space. With old age aches and pains setting in I found that having a modern tent that I can almost stand up in still breaks down to a package easily stored on an adventure sized bike.
    But also, unlike you I have a rough game plan which will be spilled in my RR to begin in a few days. At your age, you've got to think of the future in longer terms than most. The two greatest tiedowns are jobs and family. You gotta have money to travel but when you are making money you can't travel. And, if you start a family it could be a good 20 years before you even take up motorcycling again. SO WATCH OUT!:rofl
    One other small note: Think of getting rid of the big 1600 if you are serious about anywhere south of the US. There is just no way to avoid at least some nasty stuff they refer to as roads. And also, how's your Spanish?
  8. ClifNotes

ClifNotes Facebook Me!

Oddometer:
    2012 jul 16 0905 @ banff canada

i'm going to eat chocolate cindy gave me for breakfast. i took a photo last night of the chocolate store she got it from.

i told myself in the shower this morning that i'll ride safe. i don't want to do anything risky.

i'm pretty much all packed up. just charging the iphone and gopro.

i know i'm behind getting back to all your messages - i'll try to catch up at some point.

i'm going to go look for that rr with the wife's 31 yr old bro that died - and the awesome pics
  9. ClifNotes

ClifNotes Facebook Me!

Oddometer:
    my spanish is pretty much "no spanish". But I pick up languages quick.

so... if i ride from LA to uruguay, there will be "roads" that are much worse than the Yukon?

And... could I get on a ship from LA and ship ourselves to uruguay?

another concern i have is insurance. it could cost a lot to insure the gtl through s. america. what if it gets stolen, right?

who will go with u on your tour?
  10. GuillermoM

GuillermoM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Clif,

Riding from LA to Uruguay would involve Mexico, Central America, Colombia, Peru, Chile (and/or Bolivia), Argentina and finally Uruguay

Mexico could be considered safe enough to ride on your GTL, and also the way down (South) from Peru to Uruguay.

But,…

Can´t say that Central America is safe…

And in Colombia they use to kidnap people… well, don’t know, but it’s strongly not recommended to make a solo trip through this country! (Your relatives should have to pay "some" money for your life)

You also can get a plane to fly from LA to Montevideo,… once in Montevideo you can rent a 1200 GS (here or at Argentina because renting is cheaper there) and trip to the South end (like Ushuaia in “Tierra del Fuego”), following the highest mountains in all Americas at “Los Andes”… After that, you could say that you have made both ends (North: Alaska and South: Tierra del Fuego)!

With Bill, we are planning to trip to Ushaia on southern summertime (by 2012 end and/or 2013 beginning), maybe you could join us!

ps: how can I insert a photograph here?
  11. ClifNotes

ClifNotes Facebook Me!

Oddometer:
    day 1: Cindy gets me so drunk i pass out
    day 2: Cindy runs a semi nearly off the freeway
    day 2.5: Cindy brings me and Bill to a HARLEY DEALERSHIP (where we are now at 2108 Cranbrook St, Cranbrook BC Canada...

I'll show you the pics later! Bill & I gotta run!!!!
  12. rgiroux

rgiroux Invisible Man

Oddometer:
    Get a t-shirt. that was a great dealership. stopped by there in 2009 on our way north. :lol3
  13. ClifNotes

ClifNotes Facebook Me!

Oddometer:
    Cindy took ur advice and got 2!
  14. ClifNotes

ClifNotes Facebook Me!

Oddometer:
    to park or not to park (in front of the harley dealership) THAT IS THE QUESTION...

[​IMG]
  15. rgiroux

rgiroux Invisible Man

Oddometer:
    park her RIGHT in front :lol3
  16. whatsgnu

whatsgnu Scheissekopf

Oddometer:
    Clif,

You will tour on your BMW and make money as a motivational speaker.

Ride SAFE and smell the roses along the way.

:clap:clap:clap
  17. InDenial

InDenial Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do a tour ride stopping at schools giving motivational talks to the kids. You know, no drugs, no alcohol, graduate, and live your dream. You could get paid for it and tour at the same time. Heck, I'd pay to hear you.
  18. ClifNotes

ClifNotes Facebook Me!

Oddometer:
    Thanks. your "detection" is correct.

At first I was terrified of riding. Occasionally, I hated it - because it was so challenging.

There were several days of reckless passing. Then this morning I told myself in the shower to ride safe. So today I don't remember doing anything really risky.

Today we crossed back into the US. I want to ride slow now also because I can't afford insurance as it is - much less if I have to pay extra for tickets.

I think 2 days ago was when I passed two vehicles, it was a slight curve, raining... and the oncoming white truck / rv almost hit me.

wait... maybe there was one sort of close call today.

but today i also aborted one pass - so i knew when i did that it meant i was starting to be more cautious again.

your reminders and teaching does influence my driving. i'm certain you have all kept me alive. thank you !!!!!!!
  19. ClifNotes

ClifNotes Facebook Me!

Oddometer:
    thanks for the good laugh :lol3
  20. ClifNotes

ClifNotes Facebook Me!

Oddometer:
    ohhh! thank you!

i never even thought of that!