Mark in points standing

Discussion in 'Trials' started by val4215, Nov 15, 2013.

1. val4215

val4215 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was looking at the points standing for a trials club and noticed that some riders had a √ in the box for their score for the event rather than a number. These were also the first place finishers for the event in their respective class. Not every winner received √, some/many winners had a score, which of course was the total of the day's penalties . In addition, the √ was only found in the lower divisions, Pro and expert didn't have a √ marks for any of the competitors and there were no 0s either in those divisions.

Does the √ mean they cleared all sections for the day? A flawless day?
  2. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    A bit more information would be useful here, such as.....which Trials club?

As a W.A.G. though, I would surmise that the check mark indicates that the person scored or "checked" a section during that Trial. NMTA does not record persons checking with a check mark or any other means, so it is just that, a guess. I have heard of other clubs recording checkers though.
  3. motojunky

motojunky Professional Idiot

Oddometer:
    I'd guess the same as Brewtus. In the MAVT organization, checking one event per year is required to be eligible for year-end awards. I suspect that what you're seeing is how the club records that a rider checked an event.
  4. val4215

val4215 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So you get first place if you are a checker?
  5. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    We have no idea what club or chart you are even talking about. Just speculating what it could be. Every club has it`s own way of doing things.
  6. val4215

val4215 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I see now that there are more than one first place given. If the check mark is there its 30 point and another 30 points is given to the rider who took first. So you tie for first if you check. Thanks for the replies.
  7. Rockcat

Rockcat LDA

Oddometer:
    Worker points are usually first place points. You don't count as the winner of your class in the event you check, but you do get the points.
  8. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are probably looking at trialsmaster points, not checking points. Or a combo of both. Our club gives out points for setting up a trials (trialsmaster), but we just expect the rider to check(Be an Observer or Judge) when asked as part of riding for any given event.
  9. motojunky

motojunky Professional Idiot

Oddometer:
    Our club requires a rider to check/work an event to be eligible for a year-end award. You don't ride at your work event. No more/less points for trialsmaster vs. checker - either qualifies as working the event. No buddy scoring or morning ride/afternoon check... Lotsa different ways to do it. I would be curious to know what club the OP is looking at.
  10. val4215

val4215 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Southern California Trials Association
  11. Rockcat

Rockcat LDA

Oddometer:
    If you look at their standings and then look at the results for the individual events, the check mark is worker points for the event. They have a nice web site.