Non-Ethanol 93 Octane in your area?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sboles, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum Super Moderator

Oddometer:

Nothing wrong with the vehicles. It's simple science.

You fellows in Canada have lucked out in that your population has not been duped by a powerful corn lobby.
  2. Pork-Chop Express

Pork-Chop Express Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a somewhat modern 2008 bike with a polyamide gas tank that was turned into a pretzel by ethanol. I'm on the second tank now and despite having it epoxy coated before ever putting a drop of gas in it has swelled /lengthened by over 1/4". I had to modify the mounts just to get it to fit back on my bike after doing a simple air filter change. I guess I should just plan on replacing my $1,000+ gas tank any time maintenance is performed that requires removing the tank? Even the EPA themselves have now recommended the percentage of ethanol blended into gas be reduced. Among the reasons they sighted was damage to not only engines but also the catalytic converter systems that are meant to reduce emissions in the first place.

Ethanol adds to the cost of gas, reduces mileage, harms engines and cat systems, and fuel tanks that are made of polyamide or fiberglass. It also artificially creates a higher price for corn sold for food. It's not a good thing.
  3. BikeMan

BikeMan smoke, drink, screw, ride

Oddometer:
    no not really. i usually use turkey hill (kroger's) - 93 octane. yes i notice less mpg w/ethanol blend. i add sta-bil marine formula ethanol treatment for same mpg as non-ethanol blend fuel.
  4. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wrong. Ethanol is added after the gasoline is refined and shipped in a pipeline to a fuel terminal.
    Ethanol is usually delivered from the producing states via standard rail tank cars. It is then stored at fuel terminals and added to gasoline when tank trucks are filled for delivery to fueling stations, where it is stored and dispensed the same as non-ethanol gasoline.
  5. B02S4

B02S4 Aye

Oddometer:
    Eastern PA, non-E is hard to come by, but available near me in 87, 93, & 100 (leaded race gas).

A carb bike can run a full whole number AFR leaner on E10 as compared with non-E, all other things equal.

Sunoco non-E 87 + Lucas Octane Boost is my friend.
  6. Bappo

Bappo Long timer

Oddometer:
    East Idaho non-ethanol gas is all over. Most stations have hi-test ethanol free gas and a couple are completely ethanol free. even have a big NO ETHANOL sticker at the pumps.

I know that the pumps that are part of the Consolidated Fuel Network (CFN) are good gas. I believe it is because they use local gas and are privately owned? Or something like that.
  7. Pork-Chop Express

Pork-Chop Express Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It amazes me that in a mid-western state like Idaho you can get ethanol free gas but on the coasts it's hard to get anything but ethanol tainted fuel. It seems the further you get from the corn growing part of the country the harder it is to get fuel that isn't blended with ethanol. Kind of counter-intuitive. :)
  8. 83XLX

83XLX Long timer

Oddometer:
    About 2 miles from my house (in north Alabama). I always fill up there on the way home.

[​IMG]
  9. Ray R

Ray R Long timer Supporter

Oddometer: