I want a Husaberg 09 FE450 or 540, Which one and best price?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by JustinT, Jan 7, 2010.

1. JustinT

JustinT I will ride my whole life

Oddometer:
    I want a 09 Husaberg FE450 or the FE540.

The specs look very similar. I'm thinking 20/80 on/off road use. With its weight I can handle it in any single track I'd go. (50lbs lighter than my XR650R that gets trail duty, but I also have a KDX 220 for trail duty as well but its mainly a buddy bike)

what are the designed riding conditions for the 450 vs the 540?

I'm thinking the 540 over the 450 because its the same weight and components but the higher reving RPM's of 450 would easily make up for the displacement BUT I feel the lower reving 540 may be more reliable long term? Any suggestions?

I've had my XR for almost 10 years...I need what ever I get to be just as reliable.

What is a good price for either of these bikes?
  2. Hair

Hair I am on my way.

Oddometer:
    You might be thinking of a 570 not a 540.

The 570s have a lot more hit comming off a single track turn. One or two turns isn't bad. But if you are riding many miles of very tight single track you will notice it.

Another really great thing about the new KTMs and bergs is that the CDI offers severl different mapping for the spark. The bergs can be turned down to the point where a 570 almost boggs in the midrange. This makes the bike a lot smoother over the long haul.
  3. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    bigger is better :evil:rofl
  4. MZcountryboy

MZcountryboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd ride a 'Berg.

[​IMG]
  5. JustinT

JustinT I will ride my whole life

Oddometer:
    Uh yea the 570...Not sure where 540 came from since I have been all over searching and reading up on these things.

I guess this brings up the questions...which I think I know what the answer is...why do they make the 450 if the 570 is the same weight and ergonomics? (because there is a race division for the 450 would be my guess?) I originally was thinking 450 over 570 because I'm ready for a lighter bike...but that was before I realized they were the same?

With the switchable throttle injection maps that ya'll were mentioning it seems like you could electronically tune the differences but still if the 450 has a lighter rotating mass in the motor that would mean higher RPM's.

What are going prices for left over 09's (if there is such a thing) and the 2010's, are they getting the MSRP's for them? (not a dealer in town anymore)
  6. husky123

husky123 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The MAP switch lets you select between soft, normal and aggressive fuel and spark maps. On my 390 the difference is noticeable but subtle.
  7. Para504

Para504 Spam, Spam, bacon & Spam!

Oddometer:
    The difference in displacement (but not in weight), is because of different riding conditions. Big power is not your friend in tight technical riding; it will wear you out much faster & increases the chance of losing control. Short sections should be fine, but not a long ride in those conditions (thats why the KTM 400 / berg '390 is preferred over the bigger bikes in tight woods). If you are doing more open area riding, then more power normally isn't an issue, and in many cases can be a good match. Keep in mind the more power in the same frame / weight, the more perceived "weight" the rider feels. A 570 will feel like a much heavier bike (while moving) than a 390, especially when your doing a bunch of tight corners.

For most people doing "dirt bike" riding, a 450 is a good well rounded machine. Short of rally-racing, most people find a 450 is more than enough. For mostly higher speed stuff, especially at altitude I'd consider a bigger machine.
  8. Hair

Hair I am on my way.

Oddometer:
    Bigger vs. smaller. That is a question often ask by those of us that have never felt the pull of a well hooked up large bore dirt bike. :norton
    I use to love riding my 650 over Colorado passes. Plenty of traction. I could be rolling along at 50+mph in a gear where I was at most in the mid range of the motor. When I would see a rock that I didn’t want my front tire to touch. I would just roll the throttle and lift the front right over it. I could do that without moving. Without rocking the bike at all. Without working the clutch. With a 300 lbs guy sitting almost on the gas tank. At elevations way above 10000 ft. I have yet to find another bike that could do that.

The 570 will spank you every chance that it gets. The 450 might offer a bit of a warning before it tosses you ass off the back. :D I can set the maping on the berg to easy. But that only delays the hit. If you roll the throttle and keep on it. The bike will preform.

Honestly that is the difference.

Husabergs are very popular with open country racers. This is because of the fact that they use to offer 600 plus cc bikes that pull like tractors. The 649 and 626 both can be geared high and ridden hard. Add to that the fact that the split case design allowed for the motor to be sized with just about any bore that you want. A fellow ADVer Power Cell has a 750 berg. That bike has to be crazy torque. So when the new generation bergs came out the old big bore guys were wanting the 570.

I bought a 570 because I am a larger guy. I also bought it because I ride near the low end of the throttle. I want a bike that has a good amount of pulling capabilities down there. My 570 is not as good as my 650 was. Nothing will ever pull like my 650. The 570 is a decent bike. I just bought a 390 for my son. It's a good thing for him that I am way heaver than he is. Because if the 390 was setup for me. I would be riding the hell out of it on our very tight single track.
  9. snarf

snarf WFO and clueless

Oddometer:
    If I were using it to race- I'd get the 450 because of the more usable, easy to ride power. If I were getting is a s just a fun biek to ride and do DS events with, I'd ge tthe 570 without a second thought.
  10. 06Z

06Z Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been reading up on these bikes for 9 months. Every article praised how light and flickable they are when riding. So many rave how amazed they were at how exceptional the FI is. Then the great deal I got on a 09 FE 570 and I could not say no. Now with the map switch installed, and the throttle cams kit, I am glad I did not buy a FE450 because of all the options you have. From the agressive mode with the 0 throttle cam down to the mellow mode with the 400 cam. Amazing bike!!!
  11. Gillus

Gillus High Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    I bought an '09 FE450 from Rick at offroadboss.com cuz he would sell it, farkle it very well and ship it to me for less than anybody. Closest dealer is 330 miles away. Go look at the husaberg.org cult site and you may find a deal or two on a leftover '09. I have a gently used loaded '09 with 270 miles and 17.2 hrs I have considered selling. Used ones go from as low as $5700 on up with most used ones for 6 to 8 depending on the use/condition and "farkles". My knees are shot and they are the only ones I have so it might have to find a new home. I will see the knee doc Monday:cry .

I hate to sell it as it is the closest thing to a trials bike that you can ride anywhere for enduro riding or desert stuff or whatever. Heck, I put battery powered Christmas lights in the spokes on mine and rode it in a Christmas light parade. Starts immediatly anywhere any time cold or after a hot tip over, runs great, rides very nice, no hickups or anything. One thing to keep in mind for these bikes is they are all about the same weight as the engines are mostly the same just different displacements. They are a bit light for on road use if you want one for that just like any true lightweight dirt bike is. They are a bit thirsty for long distances with a smaller tank to save weight.

As far as a 450 vs 570 I do not know what to suggest, husaberg.org and ktmtalk.com has plenty of opinions. There were more '09 570 leftovers around than 450s last I looked if you want a deal. The '10 390 is supposed to be better for tight stuff. Forum talk sez the 450 is as good as it gets for all round stuff and most everyone is happy with one. I haven't played with the mapping as "beginner" setting has more umph than I need as I am not ricky racer, have tested it at 9000 ft and I am a big guy. I spose you could ride one of each and decide. Farkling gets expensive with the lights and street legal stuff and exhaust and rock guards and cooling fans and bash plates and......... so keep that in mind when your pricing a bike. Spending money to get one is expensive, riding one is priceless:clap .
  12. Cliff-77

Cliff-77 Lost Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't know that much about the Berg,just a few yrs back a friend bought a new one to trail ride with,it had problems running,cranking etc.I realize it probably could have been tuned or it had a simple fix,but he couldn't get satisfied&traded for a KTM 525.Has the Berg been good for others or improved?I see them at good prices,sure would be tempting.
  13. CodeMonkee

CodeMonkee Geek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't agree. The 570 is very tractable, that is why I bought it - very tame at low throttle and it doesn't hit suddenly, even though the power is there if you wish.

I recommend a person ride each bike, 390, 450 and 570 in their intended environs unless there is some obvious advantage to one or the other - like if you are doing the Dakar you would probably want either the 450 or 570. I ride mostly tight technical single track and I sometimes wonder if I should have waited for the 390 (they had not announced it when I bought my 570), but I still have a lot of fun with it and most of the time the power is more than controllable. Bear in mind that I am an out of shape 55 year old guy who doesn't ride off-road very well, and I still find it very controllable.

I do recommend the Rekluse - it makes riding the bike a lot easier.
  14. CodeMonkee

Oddometer:
    The new engine is completely different than the older models and IMO is almost perfect. With the EFI it runs great, starts anytime, and has power everywhere without sudden hits. The only slight complaint I have is a very slightly noticeable hunt on very light throttle with very light loads on the street - i.e., when I am almost coasting, but with just enough throttle to keep it moving, then I notice just a bit of hunting - but it isn't jerky and you have to be aware of it to notice it.
  15. CodeMonkee

Oddometer:
    I haven't had mine at those heights, and I have not ridden the 450 or 390, but I agree - they are very rideable bikes. I will often come to a stop sign and not have to put a foot down as I momentarily balance it at a standstill (or very close to it) and then move off. I did notice the wind a bit yesterday as I was going across an open area of highway to get to my riding area, so yes, as with any light bike the wind can move you around a little at over 50 MPH.

At any of the power settings you have more than enough power to get anything done unless you are racing, then the 'aggressive' setting is better.

I have thought from time to time that I would like a lighter bike - like one of those trials bikes with a slightly larger tank and a real seat.

As an all around bike that is very dirt oriented and can do everything fairly well the new Husabergs are great bikes if it is your only dirt bike. The 570 would also make a great SM bike. About the only thing they won't do well is touring on road - IMO.
  16. Gillus

Gillus High Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    I am 56 and one of the reasons I bought mine is cuz a dealer told me their owner had one and he was an old guy and found it easy to ride. I am not suggesting it is an old guys bike but it is easy to ride for another out of shape 56 yr old guy who thinks he is 40 who doesn't ride off-road very well also but has a lot of fun. I am considering spending money on heavier springs, a 54 rear sprocket to go slower, the throttle gizmo for putsing slow and may look into your recommended rekluse to make it easier yet, thanks for the recommendation!!