riding through AUS without registration/roadworthiness inspection/third liability ins

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Panny, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Panny

Panny motorcycle vagabond

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,

we´ll arrive in AUS in a month and we consider to skip the registration/roadworthiness inspection/third liability insurance.

Stupid idea or worth a try?

If we have an accident, it will be a problem - no question! I´m aware of that.
    But how are the chance to get through with it otherwise?
    Does the police do regular road controls to check these things?

Greetings from NZ

Panny
  2. crash n bern

crash n bern Long timer

Oddometer:
    Will the bike have registration in another country? Or have no registration at all?
  3. Panny

Oddometer:
    Both bikes have German registration/plates.
  4. Sleepy John

Sleepy John Grumpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Stupid idea

Get insurance at least.

How have you been travelling in Un Zed?
  5. Colonial Mick

Colonial Mick FEMINISM KILLED CHIVALRY

Oddometer:
    Upper Cumbucter West. Armidale/Kempsey Rd.
    +1 Not worth it.
  6. Panny

Oddometer:
    Is Un Zed = NZ?
    -> without reg/WoF/insurance
  7. Panny

Oddometer:
    Why? Give me some explanation, please!
  8. BOOTLACE

BOOTLACE Bikie Scum. Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you don't have 3rd party, (in Europe, Green Card..), insurance, and you happen to damage someones expensive car, or worse, hit a child on the road..... You will be in DEEP SHIT, and it will cost you waaaay more than buying insurance. Accidents are indeed accidents, no-one plans them. That's why when I'm riding in Europe, I make the effort to get myself insured.
    Do it.
  9. Panny

Oddometer:
    Okay, so much about insurance.
    What about registration and roadworthiness inspection?

Cheers

Panny
  10. Panny

Oddometer:
    Do you think insurance will pay, if we don´t have registration and roadworthiness inspection?
    I might end up with paying the premium but not beeing insured in fact.
  11. Dean Ohlin

Dean Ohlin inner city elite

Oddometer:
    A quick Google search turned up this information from the relevant authority in the state of NSW(assuming you are entering via Sydney). "Coverage" in that state should extend Australia wide, though double check this for yourself.

Visiting overseas vehicle

<!-- Bread Crumbs --><NAV class=breadcrumbs>Home > Registration > Get a new rego > Visiting overseas vehicle </NAV><!-- End Bread Crumbs --><!-- page header --><!-- Inside large grey square - text, lists, tables, images -->
    <!-- Main text of the page --><ARTICLE>Overseas visitors and tourists may import their vehicle into Australia for a temporary period of up to 12 months by obtaining either a Carnet de Passages en Douane (carnet) from their local (overseas) motoring organisation, or a Vehicle Import Approval (VIA) from the Commonwealth Department of Infrastructure and Transport (DIT). In either case the document must be obtained before the vehicle arrives in Australia. Registration in NSW is not required, but the vehicle must be exported from Australia within the specified time limit.
    Vehicles temporarily visiting NSW from overseas must have current overseas registration. Number plates and labels from the country of origin must also be fitted to the vehicle. It is also recommended that the overseas registration certificate be carried when using the vehicle.
    These vehicles are exempt from NSW registration and cannot be issued with an Unregistered Vehicle Permit.
    Vehicles exempt from NSW registration, are also exempt from Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance. A NSW third party personal injury claim involving a vehicle visiting from overseas is made against the Nominal Defendant Scheme. This scheme is administered by the Motor Accidents Authority (MAA).
    Vehicles entering NSW under these circumstances can be right or left-hand drive, and do not need to comply with the Australian Design Rules. However, the vehicle must be roadworthy. Left-hand drive vehicles with a Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM) over 4.5 tonnes must display the words &#8216;left-hand drive&#8217; on the rear of the vehicle in letters at least 75 millimetres high, with a colour contrast background.
    If the vehicle was originally imported under a VIA and the operator remains in Australia and wants to keep the vehicle beyond the VIA&#8217;s original expiry date, they may apply to DIT to have the VIA amended. If an amendment is approved, the vehicle may then be registered in NSW providing it meets all of the applicable vehicle standards for registration in NSW. See Getting rego for an imported vehicle.
    If an amendment is not approved the original import conditions apply and the vehicle must be exported. A vehicle imported under a carnet cannot be registered in NSW and must be exported before the specified time limit expires.

from here http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/getnewrego/visiting_from_overseas.html

</ARTICLE>
    <!-- 4 column table -->
  12. 102829

102829 Guest

Oddometer:
    Hey Panny,

Welcome to Australia when you finally get here. Sounds like a great trip.

Four things:

1. Insurance - it is worth the peace of mind. You don't have general insurance for your bike for the trip?

2. Registration. If your bike is registered in your home country, and you are passing through Australia on a trip, I do not believe you have to re-register it in Australia. I am happy to be corrected, but have seen/met a number of bike travellers with only their home registration.

3. Roadworthiness. Some states in Australia do not have roadworthiness checks and it is usually only allied with the registration process. Personally, I won't ride my bike unless it is roadworthy to my standards :)

4. Have a great time and post here of your adventures in Oz. No doubt you may catch up with a few of the inmates.

Cheers, Craig
  13. mickd

mickd crash test dummie

Oddometer:
    so would you/do you do this all the time where you live,???
  14. Panny

Oddometer:
    Thanks Woopwoop, for the informations from AA. I´m aware of the procedure.

Might be so in AUS. But in many other countries nobody or at least only some people have in insurance. E.g. NZ or many countries in South- and Central America.
    Many long term motorcylce travellers don´t have insurance and don´t even get it in countries, where it´s mandatory.
    I know MANY, who ride with faked papers.
  15. Panny

Oddometer:
    I would do that in Germany, where I used to live before a hit the road, because you will get caught if you don´t have it.

I´m a bit reluctant to do roadworthiness inspections in AUS, since I travelled through some 50 country and nowhere except in AUS and NZ you have to do such a thing as a tourist.

Pretty much the same with registration.

Third liability is required in many country.
  16. Dean Ohlin

Dean Ohlin inner city elite

Oddometer:
    You do as you see fit.

The fact remains that unless your vehicle is registered (either in your home country and thereby here under the relevant scheme, or in one of the Australian states) I'm pretty sure that you won't get any type of insurance that covers injuries to others in the event of an accident. I was just giving you a bit of friendly advice that in Australia, that is widely viewed as socially unacceptable (& many may put it a bit more forcefully than me!) , apart from the law.

Don't ask for advice if you don't want to hear it.
  17. lockyv7

lockyv7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sunshine Coast Australia. There is no winter here.
    Give it a go, if you get away with it your home free, if not then you pay up.
    I have done it with foreign plates on bikes in Germany a few times and got away with it.
  18. lockyv7

lockyv7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sunshine Coast Australia. There is no winter here.
    The bigest problem you may have is getting the bike released from customs without a carnet, but if you can then just ride away into the distance and have a good trip.
  19. sysie

sysie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You might get through your holiday without incidents and trouble, but then you might not. These days 3rd party claims in first world countries can be very very expensive.

When in mexico ... Do like the mexicans do... When in Aus do like the australians do :-), when in any of the other 50 countries youve been... Do whatever..

My 2c
  20. galbo950

galbo950 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you get caught in Qld unregistered or uninsured just be prepared to go to Court. If you get caught a second time it will be court and your vehicle impounded for 48 hours, third time is court and another 48 hour impoundment with an application to the court to have your vehicle impounded for up to 3 months, get caught again its the same again except its an aplication to the court to have your vehicle forfeited to the state (so you lose your bike). Also eremember that Qld now has automatic number plate reading devices so its easier to get caught now.