Gear Up/Patrol at Speed

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by blazer, May 5, 2008.

1. blazer

blazer Vote Blazer for President

Oddometer:
    I've heard some contradicting stores about the GU or Patrol at speed.

One online review
    claims you have got to be completely nutz to take them above 55.

Others say STFU hold on, don't worry it ain't bad at all.

Now that the GSA is gone, I am seriously considering one of these and I want to get an idea what I'm in for.

Thanks,
    B-
  2. RedMenace

RedMenace Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer:
    BEST URAL REVIEW EVER!
    :rofl
    and not far off the mark for a 95. The new ones are a little better...:lol3
  3. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    That review is way out of date. It is like saying a 2008 Roadking is like A 1970's AMF Electraglide. Urals made shortly after the Soviet Union fell were poor at best, and Dnepr's were really bad. Today Dnepr/Neval/Cossack is gone, and Ural's are a different machine. Brembo front brake, Ducati electronics, European gears, valves, pistons, US seals, and bearings. Still low in Hp, and speed. 65 mph is about max, but off the highway it will keep up with traffic just fine. After 5000 km's the only problem I have had on a 2007 is a bad flasher unit, that is a 30 second repair. Think of a Ural as a new "vintage" bike. Just remember, sidecars are like stout beer, You will love it or hate it. I havent even started My V-Star since I got the Ural.
  4. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    A new acquaintance (ADV Name Spicy McHaggis) just bought a Ural. I believe it is a gear up in the snow camo. He rode it from Seattle to Bellingham and loved it he is now in Juneau, Alaska with it and planning a ride through out Alaska and to the D2D ride into Dawson City, Yukon Territories this summer.
    It is a very nice looking and functional bike, I would love to have one. I ride an '02 R1150 GS Adventure now and still would love the Ural Gear up.
  5. blazer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the responses.

I kinda figured that things were different now. I also know that Urals have some parts only an owner can love.

So 65 mph is max speed. How's she run ~ 55-60? Nice and stable, or like she's commin apart at the seams?

Thanks!

B-
  6. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in

Oddometer:
    :ear
  7. Tarka

Tarka Strangely strange. Oddly normal.

Oddometer:

My 2004 750 Ural will run all day at indicated 60-65mph,even three up and loaded to the bollox with camping gear.

55-60 mph is a doddle.
  8. Yankee Dog

Yankee Dog Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1

My 05 Gear UP is about the same. 55-60 is it's sweet spot. Some folks have problems at higher speeds because they turn the damper down too tight. Too much damper and it tends to wander at speed. Just a little and it is no more effort to ride than a two wheeler.

Yankee Dog
  9. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    I only have 500 kms on mine and I'm still breaking it in but I have had up to an indicated 100km/hr twice briefly and it was very steady. Can't wait till the break-in is over.
    Leaning towards selling my 1150GS as I'm tired of it cluttering up the garage. May wait a little longer till the novelty wears off but so far no signs of it diminishing.
  10. RedMenace

Oddometer:
    The engine will do it and handling is fine below about 45mph but it sucks above 60. I suppose if you have never ridden any other sidecars and have low expectations, the handling is acceptable at freeway speeds but the Ural is not designed for that use and even with the upgrades isn't really good at that. The Retro may be a different story but the Gear Up is twitchy and unstable at speed and "three up and loaded to the bollocks" is a really bad idea in modern traffic on the highway.
    This is a back roads and off pavement adventure bike(where it excels) that can do stretches of highway to get you there. If you compare it to your GS, for instance, you will be unhappy. If you want modern suspension and competent highspeed handling put a Ural hack on one of the big adventure bikes such as a Triumph, GS,Strom or KTM. Then you will shift the focus to more highway with the ability to do gravel with aplomb and rutted dirt with more effort.
  11. motojosh

motojosh Mildly Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mine'll do 55-60 pretty well, but the sweet spot for me is closer to ~50mph. 55-60ish feels okay, but 50ish is a bit smoother. YMMV.
  12. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I feel that 60 mph on the highway is fine for a late model Ural. It sort of reminds Me of a 1986 Sportster, My first street bike, that I got new. You can ride on the freeway just fine, but not a bike to choose if that is what You will be doing the most.
  13. blazer

Oddometer:
    I have the RT for the slab.

I just need the Ural to get me to the fun stuff that just happens to be down the highway a ways.

Thanks!

B-
  14. Tarka

Tarka Strangely strange. Oddly normal.

Oddometer:

Mine`s a 750 Dalesman,not sure how that compares to US models but it`s fairly close to a civilian Gear Up.

Regarding speeds and 'highways' I tend to avoid our motorways which are 70mph limits but with most cars at 75-90mph and HGV`s normally restricted to 56mph and the inside two of three lanes.
    I mostly use our rural A and B roads which are usually 60mph limits and for some strange reason nearly all the cars travel at about 40mph.

I posted the example of three up and loaded to the bollox to illustrate that being fully laden doesn`t massively affect the Ural`s travelling capability due to it`s torque and spread of available.
  15. gec343

gec343 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree. Two months ago, I purchased a 06 Tourist. I love this bike, plus have not even started my other bikes since the purchase. Cruising speed in about 60MPH. They handle very well at highway speeds, but, correct on the low power. The gearing is perfect for a sidecar unit, easy start off, etc.
  16. RedMenace

Oddometer:
    Understood. I did the Blackdog several years ago three up on a new Ural. Some pretty aggresive riding at times, but fairly low speeds. We did fine, even though three up is not optimal weight distribution. But I really do not like the handling at higher speeds(regardless of load) and I worry folks will get in over their heads hearing "hero" stories. For the money, you can put together a much better highway rig.

But for a from the factory get anywhere(eventually) rig with two wheel drive and a reverse, Ural is the only show in town. I also think they make great beginner rigs, as long as you don't try to flog them too hard. With a spare mounted on the trunk they are fairly stable, and the engine gives you nice linear power from way down low -easy to get going from a dead stop but it won't run away with you.
  17. snoid

snoid 100% Okie

Oddometer:
    well... i wouldn't say it's a deathtrap above 65mph... but you gotta realize going in that the decel effect of hauling yer ass towards the ditch is exaggerated at that speed.

if you know that going in... you'll survive just fine.

gotta tell ya though... decel from 65mph on a gravel or dirt road isn't bad at all. the tires break free and it happens without that short, sharp lurch.

55mph is the absolute sugar-coated tits on my bike. and quite frankly, when yer hacking about... who wants to go faster?

me
  18. RomaDakota

RomaDakota Experts agree!!

Oddometer:
    Good analogy about beer/hack. Wrong about Dneprs. My MT11 (post SU constructed) has been more reliable than a friend's 06 Ural. What Dnepr do/did you own?
  19. wyowillys46

wyowillys46 Petrosexual.

Oddometer:
    STFU and hold on.

:hide
  20. Charro

Charro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    2006 Patrol, 55-60mph crusing speed. No problem.

Andy