What's the best wind stopping things for a 1200 GS

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by mkuszek, Jan 26, 2013.

1. mkuszek

mkuszek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I an considering a 2007 1200 GS BMW and was wondering what would be the best wind stopping windshield for a guy like me at 5'10"?
    I am also interested to know if there are any other wind stopping things I can stick by my knee's to reduce some wind.
    I don't want to make the bike look silly with a huge ugly screen but something complementary with good design is what I am after.Advice appreciated
  2. ztrab

ztrab Long timer

Oddometer:
    After owning an 09 Adventure, I put the Adventure windscreen on my son's 07 and my 2012 GS. I have tried several aftermarket taller shields and laminar lip - nothing compares, but that is my experience, YMMV. I did not use winglets but do have the wunderlich larger handuards that help reduce turbulence. I am 5'10 but longer in the torso, i.e. sit a little taller. I always ride with an XD and find the Adventure screen still get the air over my beck.
  3. White Tenere

White Tenere 49 years on two wheels

Oddometer:
    Post or ask this over in GSpot section and you'll get hundreds of recommendations.
  4. BalancePoint

BalancePoint Regional idiot, formerly just local.

Oddometer:
    There's a million opinions. I've always liked the Cee Bailey screens. There's a really large selection of heights and widths. I put 20,000+ miles on an 09 GS with one.
  5. Marki_GSA

Marki_GSA Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you want all the weather protection buy a GSA as they have exactly what your looking for. Other option is to fit the GSA screen and wingless. You could also fit the tank for leg/knee protection but it's starting to get expensive and cheaper to get the actual bike they belong.
  6. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    For wind protection for the legs, Aeroflow makes these "Aeroguards", shown in silver in this pic. They only fit the '05 - '07 models (also shown with Aeroflow "Half Faring"
    [​IMG]

A lot of people don't like the look of Aeroflow half farings, and I don't think the Aeroguards help win any beauty contests. The only other way of getting wind protection (for your legs) that I know of is to just buy a GSA, but there are certianally better windscreens than a stock GSA screen, IMHO.

I prefer my 2 section GIVI Airflow (not to be confused with "Aeroflow") which can be used in a low position and still provide clean air with no bufetting in summer time.

[​IMG]

A lot of peeps like Cee Bailey's Adventure system which is optionally taller and always wider than the stock ADV screen, and also comes with wider wingletes
  7. Paul Mihalka

Paul Mihalka Old Fart

Oddometer:
    I had excellent results with the combination of the basic GIVI shield and Adventure wind guards.

[​IMG]
  8. mtbenson

mtbenson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The best wind-stopping thing for your 1200GS is your garage door. Other than that, for me +1 on the Givi AF-330 and Adventure winglets.
  9. LaurelPerryOnLand

LaurelPerryOnLand Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. qman8

qman8 15 GSA / 16 WR250R

Oddometer:
    +1 for this setup. Less adjustment capability than the 2-part Givi, but way less expensive, and WAY better looking! Add Tobinators if you need more adjustment!
  11. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    GSA gas tank, windscreen and winglets. I'm same height and can light a cigar while riding my 1200GSA. not sure what aftermarket windshields cost, but if you can find an inexpensive GSA windshield try one. The winglets help too. I take mine off in summer and notice more airflow. The tank blocks cold air and rain from hitting my legs, but that's a more expensive alteration most folks don't want to take on.
  12. EZGlider

EZGlider Seeker

Oddometer:
    At 6'3", I have zero wind with this screen. The negative pressure (no noise) it creates in the cockpit and ability to adjust on the fly to accommodate my riding environment was worth the $$$.

FYI - I used to ride with a standard ADV screen with TT spoiler that also did the trick, but it was a bit noisy and asthetically distracting. Feng shui, and all.

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/8110428.html
  13. Dadd

Dadd Just another AARGHRider

Oddometer:
    Don't want to hijack the thread, but what tankbag is that?
  14. Mika S

Mika S JC & MC: Double Freedom

Oddometer:
    I had the Cee Baileys, but it broke quite easily. I was stupid enough to ride behind my riding pal who was shooting stones from the rear tire of his R12GS. :lol3 I got a big crack in the screen. Later the screen broke totally in a low speed hi-sider. Oh, well... :evil

Anyways, the Cee Baileys is made of acrylic, while the original is made of much more durable polycarbonate. A huge difference.

Now I have a standard ADV screen and winglets with TT spoiler in a regular GS ('05). This combo is very quiet, I wouldn't change it to anything else. I'm 6'2" or 187 cm, but long inseam/short torso. (You might not need the TT spoiler.)

Although, many inmates here also have good experience with a Givi screen and the winglets.
  15. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the stock windshield on my 09 GS and I really cannot tell much difference than my Aeroflow that was on my 01 GS. My opinion is, if you want NO wind, you need to be in a car. Wind is part of the riding experience on a motorcycle, of course excessive wind is a bummer, but part of what you signed up for. Not trying to be smart aleck, I just kind of like wind on me.
  16. homeontherange

homeontherange Ochlophobiac

Oddometer:
    +1, ….or buy some good gear.
  17. WeazyBuddha

WeazyBuddha Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer:
    I run a Givi AF330 and adventure winglets on my non-adventure 08 GS, made a huge positive difference.
  18. qman8

qman8 15 GSA / 16 WR250R

Oddometer:

There is a big difference between air flow (wind) and turbulent air flow (noise). I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that most would prefer more of the former than the latter!!!:eek1
  19. phandrews

phandrews Mad Max

Oddometer:
    I'm with JustKip on this one. The Givi Airflow works extremely well for me at 6'3". Though it's adjustable I find myself using the sliding section in the lowest position, with negligible turbulence.:thumb:thumb If it's hot weather I take the top section off.
  20. Desert Skies

Desert Skies One brick shy...

Oddometer:
    Good to hear on the Give. The stock on my 05 is in need of replacing so I ordered one yesterday. I've run the stock with a TT spoiler for the last 80K and although it is fine for straight on, any cross wind will have you shifting your head to get back into clean air. That sux when doing a long stretch and ends up giving me shoulder cramps.