Carlton Complex Fire

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by 81forest, Jul 19, 2014.

1. 81forest

81forest ADDRider

Oddometer:
    Okanogan County's mega fire is being talked about elsewhere, but this thing deserves its own thread at this point.

Now at 215,000 acres, Pateros has burned, Brewster was just evacuated, and Twisp is at Level 2 evacuation level. Power and cell service are out throughout the Methow Valley, and I just read an update that 911 emergency call services are out as well. It is a serious shitstorm out there.

I grew up in the Methow, went to Allen Elementary in Twisp and Liberty Bell Junior/Senior High School in Winthrop. I have been glued to Facebook for the last three days, reading posts from childhood friends that are abandoning their homes with only what they can carry. It is heartbreaking.

[​IMG]

Current map of the fire from NASA satellite:

[​IMG]

Link to donations via Almira Fire Department: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Almira-Fire-Department/116313891727441

If anyone is in this area and is being affected by the fire, don't be afraid to ask the adv community for help! The Methow is a tough rural community and it will survive this. Examples of hometown heroism are everywhere; the Carlton General Store is staying open all night in order to pump gas to whoever needs it. Donations are coming in, and people are opening their doors to anyone that has been displaced by the evacuations. Cheers to the firefighters, smokejumpers and everyone that has lent a hand so far.

Every year when I was a kid there were fires, people that we knew lost their homes from time to time, but I don't know anyone that remembers anything this bad.

Post updates, news, ideas, prayers and wishes here!
  2. 81forest

81forest ADDRider

Oddometer:
    From Carlton General Store's page on Facebook, I get goosebumps reading this:

"Just a reminder to everyone in the valley that the store is now pumping gas and we will be open all night! That's right all night the doors will be open for anything that you need. If you need a place to stay we will be here. Please make sure you have enough water and gas for your generators!"
  3. Ride Now

Ride Now Graybeard

Oddometer:
  4. 81forest

81forest ADDRider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for those links, Ride Now. Are you seeing ash in Yakima?

<script src="http://www.king5.com/templates/belo_embedWrapper.js?storyid=267786231&pos=top&swfw=470"></script><object name="player" id="_fp_0.697083764243871" width="470" height="264" data="http://swfs.bimvid.com/player-3.2.15.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> <param value="true" name="allowfullscreen"/> <param value="always" name="allowscriptaccess"/> <param value="transparent" name="wmode"/> <param value="high" name="quality"/> <param name="movie" value="http://swfs.bimvid.com/player-3.2.15.swf" /> <param value="config=http://www.king5.com/?j=embed_267786231&ref=http://www.king5.com/video/featured-videos/Howling-winds-push-massive-Washington-wildfire-267786231.html" name="flashvars"/></object><script src="http://www.king5.com/templates/belo_embedWrapper.js?storyid=267786231&pos=bottom&ref=http://www.king5.com/video/featured-videos/Howling-winds-push-massive-Washington-wildfire-267786231.html"></script>
  5. Ride Now

Ride Now Graybeard

Oddometer:
    Nothing right now, but we're actually a long ways from these major fires. We have had several small, by comparison, fires in the area that are all pretty much contained.
  6. 81forest

81forest ADDRider

Oddometer:
    Pic of the Bear Creek fire line, with helicopter about to scoop up some Lake Pearrygin.

[​IMG]
  7. Eastview

Eastview Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How did you get the google earth image with the fire on it?
    I am trying to get information for a friends wife who's place is on the river half way between Methow and Carlton.
  8. 81husky

81husky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. 81forest

81forest ADDRider

Oddometer:
    That image was posted to fb by this site: http://nwfires.com

Lots of good intel and updates on there. Best of luck to your friends.
  10. joeaverage

joeaverage mediocre

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. My sister is over there and her area is at level 2 evac notice right now. She relocated her livestock yesterday and is ready to bug out with the kids. It seems like she has to go through this every couple of years.
  11. 81forest

81forest ADDRider

Oddometer:
    Wow, best of luck to her. I think the toll on open range livestock is going to be pretty bad.

97 homes lost so far. No human casualties. Here is a pic of a friend's house that we were all sure was going to burn, but was saved by aerial bombing of fire retardant. He and his family evacuated yesterday; he built this place by hand about 30 years ago and I know he didn't want to leave..

Gotta love that "slurry red" paint job from the retardant, I'm sure he does.

[​IMG]
  12. 81forest

81forest ADDRider

Oddometer:
    Here is what Methow people generally do for fun when there are no fires.

[​IMG]
  13. Ride Now

Ride Now Graybeard

Oddometer:
  14. 81forest

81forest ADDRider

Oddometer:
    Not so lucky. [​IMG]

A friend just posted this:
    "The Carlton complex is now the largest fire in the recorded history of Washington State. In 1902 the Yacolt Burn toasted almost 239,000 acres...Our fire topped 215K this morning and will easily take the top spot."
  15. 81forest

81forest ADDRider

Oddometer:
  16. SOP Dirt-Rider

SOP Dirt-Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    81, you have a PM..
  17. 81forest

81forest ADDRider

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

This is so surreal to me; that is the view from my high school. From the Methow Valley News caption attached to this photo:

"Picture taken from the fire incident command center at Liberty Bell High School today. We have been trying to keep things updated as much as possible despite some challenging communication issues, the most problematic being that we have no power at the MV News office and our cell phones don't always work well, if at all. I'm proud of my staff for finding ways (Ann McCreary wrote her story last night by longhand with a flashlight for illumination; Darla Hussey posted it from her cell phone). We are working on a plan to publish a newspaper next week, which will require some innovative technical strategies. And electricity. We appreciate your interest and support ... this is a tough time for anyone who loves this valley. We all know someone who has lost a home or has been displaced by evacuations. As always, the Methow community will pull together to help one another through it ... one of the qualities that makes this place special. -- Don Nelson, publisher/editor."
  18. Wenduro

Wenduro Agenda 21 Refugee

Oddometer:
    I'm glad to see our government is such a prodigious steward of our land and their ability to plan ahead is extraordinary. Top. Men.
  19. SOP Dirt-Rider

SOP Dirt-Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ??? Lets keep this thread free of ideals and filled with ways to help those who have great need.
  20. Sethro303

Sethro303 Master of Disaster

Oddometer:

I don't see your ass out there trying to make a difference. Why don't you bring water, food and clothing to the hundreds of people who are now homeless. Troll

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk