Triumph Tiger 800

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by ScrambDaddy, Jul 12, 2010.

1. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    Yeah, didn't bother at 12k (which was only 7 months ago) because the bike was running perfectly, making no noises, and word from others was in-spec valves (plus my Wee-Strom, which uses the same shim-under-bucket valve setup, never needed adjustment in the 40k miles I owned it), so I didn't feel like cracking the engine open. Told myself I'd do it at 24k, but that passed while I was in Newfoundland at the end of August. Finally got around to it this weekend because I'm about to head out on another trip next week. :D

--mark
  2. deltamark

deltamark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For the second time in a week, I left the power on to my dealer-installed Oxford Heated Grips. Came back this morning to a dead battery. Went to the Aerostich site and read about the Centex Auxiliary Power Fused Panel. Seems like a good solution since I also have a heated jacket jacket wired the same way as the grips. So, my question: Is the Centech panel all I would need? I see the AP-2 Wiring Harness and am wondering if I'd need that too. If so, it seems to be an expensive solution.
  3. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    this is what you need for your grips.
  4. deltamark

deltamark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Levain. I can be pretty mechanically dense, but I get the impression this kit might be for the stock heated grips. Think it would work with the aftermarket Oxfords?

5. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah. Me too:lol3:lol3 This is plug & play. Really simple. I have Oxford grips on my bike as well. The EB kit has the triumph plug. Plug it into the one on your bike. Now you have switched power. Wire the oxfords to the 2 leads on the kit and you're in business.
    Good luck. The guy is in japan. Don't let that keep you away. It's all legit.
  6. viper770

viper770 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    well i bought my 2012 tiger 800xc brand new at the beginning of April[​IMG] and i have over 17,000 miles on mine now
  7. NoobIAm

NoobIAm Far, far from the Garden.

Oddometer:
    Believe it or not, I've been to Hutchinson. Had a lady friend from there in the mid-'80's. Say, what town is it near there that has the space museum with the Blackbird? That was a surprise. :D
  8. Yankee Dog

Yankee Dog Long timer

Oddometer:

thats in Alabama

[​IMG]
  9. littlelionmonster

littlelionmonster Custom Faker

Oddometer:
    I just installed the EB 3 circuit kit last week. Pretty simple and the connections are easy to do. Tapped into the tail light to power the relay.

After making my own setup on my Sprint, it ended up being about the same cost and a whole lot cleaner install.
  10. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    No, it's near Omaha. :wink:

[​IMG]
  11. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    The stock heated grips have their own relay. The Eastern Beaver kit was developed specifically for aftermarket grips. I was the guy who first emailed Jim and asked him to build one; how-to writeup on the procedure is here:
    http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,1593.0.html

--mark
  12. NoobIAm

NoobIAm Far, far from the Garden.

Oddometer:
    There is also one in the center of Kansas somewhere near Hutchinson… I've been there. It's where I learned that the Blackbird dates back to 1959, believe it or not. :deal
  13. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is the exact set up I used too. EB kit with Oxford grips. Half the cost of stock and works great! Jim Davis the owner of EB is legit and his stuff is the highest quality. Shipping from Japan is not bad in terms of price and time. I've used his products on a number of bikes and have never been disappointed. :wave
  14. orv

orv Busted butt Supporter

Oddometer:
  15. Dubl-A

Dubl-A SuckerDucker

Oddometer:
    Damn! Hope you're OK. Any major damage to the bike??
  16. Snapper

Snapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hope you stayed upright... and killed that fooker! I feel your pain, I hit few too, except not on the Tiger.

[​IMG]
  17. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:

+1

I've used Jim's products on three bikes now and couldn't be happier with them. Great stuff.

--mark
  18. Dubl-A

Dubl-A SuckerDucker

Oddometer:

That's awesome!! :lol3
  19. orv

orv Busted butt Supporter

Oddometer:
    The deer cleaned out everything in front of the forks except the instrument pod and windshield. It was relatively simple to screw on the new plastic parts to make it whole again. Front tire, wheel, brakes and forks all survived without problems. It works perfectly.

I found excellent service from Triumph central warehouse. Parts were here in about three days. Also, they used ample thread locker at the factory. I was impressed.

Nine ribs and some road rash and six weeks of recoop and I'm good. 2k on the bike since rebuild. Lv it.
  20. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
    Excellent. Glad you're all fixed. Could have been a lot worse by the sound of it.