Can't deside....Buy Both

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ggamster, Aug 12, 2012.

1. jimhaleyscomet

jimhaleyscomet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can speak from experience of the newer WR and CRF250L compared to an older Honda 83 XL250r dual sport. As for the WR and the CRF I have both. My son likes the WR for its suspension and power (has power programmer and FMF exhause) and aggressive knobbies. I like the CRF for its smooth ride, stock linear power output, and stock dual sport very streetable tires. The CRF takes little effort to ride trails. When you are 50+ like me and wanting to keep out riding with the young bucks that becomes important!

I also have an "old" dual sport, the 1983 XL250r. I can't speak for the "newer" XR's but the CRF250L is worlds ahead better than the 83 XL in many ways. Electric start and electronic fuel injection go a LONG way making it a much more comfortable bike. I don't believe the old XR's had either. The stock CRF does not give up anything in the power output and suspension to the old XL either. Although the plastics and the blinkers might give up a little durability to the old XL, I have not broken mine yet after a few enduro rides and 500 miles (300 off road). At the relatively low "new retail" price the CRF is an excellent value for a new bike with wide ratio transmission, fuel injection and electric start that also can handle the trails. The forward "running lights" and extremely bright headlight are nice bonuses on the CRF.

Sure the modified WR feels more twitchy power wise than either the CRF or the XL (both stock) and has a much more capable suspension than either. Still, even with my limited experience off road (3000 miles over 45 years, no races), I have no problem keeping up with my son on the WR and many bigger bikes (450's etc) on off road trails even when I am on either of the Honda 250's.

For those who want a capable comfortable affordable 250 dual sport both on and off road than the stock CRF fills that niche quite nicely. For those who race enduro or want gobs more suspension and hard off road prowess while remaining street legal but at the expensive of a comfortable street ride move on to the WR with aggressive knobbies, power programmer and exhaust (about $8000 new or $4,000 for a 2008 WR with about 3000 miles). For those who want gobs more power/twitchiness and are willing to work even harder on tight technical trails move on to a 400+cc bike.

Beware of reading all the charts and condemning one or the other bike. The OP did not feel the CRF stood up well for how they use it. The CRF does, however, work quite well for my relaxed riding style.
  2. Cyberg

Cyberg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just want to say thanks to the OP.
    Nice write up.

I have always been a bigger and faster bike owner. But now that Im getting older I wanted a smaller fun bike so I just picked up a Husaberg 350. Man I should of had a small bike in the stable years ago. I just had no idea what fun I was missing with a small bike.

Now I have been giving the Yamaha WRR a look.
  3. simonpig

simonpig droppin' jewels

Oddometer:
    These real world review from the OP seems very credible to me because they come from someone who has ridden and lived with both bikes on a day to day basis. Its really easy to ride the specs, but experience reigns supreme.

My WRR was stolen last year and I'm lookin' real hard at the CRF250L but for some reason am not completely sold on it due to its milder manners.

I always thought the WRR had 2 sides to it, both civil and disobedient in that that you could just chug it and ride it like an senior citizen or rev it out and ride it like a motocrosser. I fear that with the CRF, I won't be get "motocrosser" side of it when I need it. WRR did it smoothly and reliably.

Anyway, I need to to take a look at the CRF at the motorcycle show in NY next weekend and sit on and think on it. Anyone want to let me test ride their CRF : )
  4. Krono

Krono Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well ... it seems pretty pointless to compare CRFL to WRF when you can have a GasGas300EC plated for about the same price, which have the best components (ohlins...), only 225lbs and 60hp, if you want to make serious enduro.

Beside this, i shaved 22 pounds off, added a few horses (FMF, EJK ..), a T63 rear tire and became used how to handle it.
    I can say im not ashamed at all by my CRFL, and consider its looking much better.

[​IMG]

L
  5. Off the grid

Off the grid Scrub Daddy

Oddometer:
    On the front lines, battling a global pandemic.
    Shh....some people are not ready for that level of bike. Conjures up all sorts of false rumors like "parts unavailability" and "unreliability".

Which is just fine. Some people like mediocrity.
  6. Off the grid

Off the grid Scrub Daddy

Oddometer:
    On the front lines, battling a global pandemic.
    Personal attacks will get you a permanent vacation, Scooter.

Do try and stay on topic. :deal
  7. skibikemototour

skibikemototour Banned

Oddometer:
    Ditto!:clap Thanks OP! Looked at this site for a while, new poster, agree thanks for this. Strange site in some ways, very obsessed Euro-loving fat-boys who just ride the couch it seems mouthing off all the time.Euro bikes are nice, so are Jap bikes- one chooses what they like.

Yep, I decided to give the WRR a try also. Thought about the CRFL. Both good for certain uses, personal preferences.
  8. desert sled

desert sled trail rider

Oddometer:
    kant take mexico
    keeps taking money
    kick twenty minutes:
  9. desert sled

desert sled trail rider

Oddometer:
    looks like xr250l is a good bike
    thanks for all the good info
  10. CNDRAT

CNDRAT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I also have been considering these bikes...as some have stated,it comes to personal choice...riding styles,age,area/type of riding,individual size..I'm 6'2 / 210lbs.(all muscle :wink:)

I have been away from the dirt for some time...been luv'n the tarmac and my Triumph.Then for some reason I had a crav'n for some off road FUN.

The things I was looking for in a DS:
    1. Weight (didn't want to fight the bike on tight trails)
    2. Price (for an entry level bike,it's hard to beat the Honda)
    3. Wanted a DS..no need to load into a truck or trailer (pain/less riding time)
    4. Low maintenance (just ride the thing)
    5. Reliability (Both get A+ here)
    6. Dealer support (same)
    7. Fun factor (when I ride...do i look like this :D)
    Lot's of other reasons but ...again we all have different needs and wants,at the end of the day we all want the same thing.

Enjoy the Ride!

OP..A BIG THANK YOU for the thread..and to all that have added great input on two very different bikes...:clap I now know what I'm buying very soon :thumb
  11. simonpig

simonpig droppin' jewels

Oddometer:
    My WRR was stolen not too long ago, so I went through the whole "which bike should I get now" train of thought. After a thinking about it and have a look at the CRFL on paper and in person and everyones accounts of it, I decided to get another used WRR, which was the best value for performance, utility, and fun.

Just picked up another '08 and life is good again.
  12. CNDRAT

CNDRAT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Suck's that it was stolen...but he/she had good taste as do you :thumb

Congrat's on the new bike...enjoy the ride :ricky
  13. Rx4Pain

Rx4Pain Do something... Even if it's wrong.

Oddometer:
    Thanks to the guy that did the comparison of the Honda and the Yamaha. I have neither of these, but test drove the CRF 250l a while back out of curiousity after seeing the crazy'ish low price. I was prettttttty tempted!

Navin's responses were both comical and stupid. I ride trails and single track with a guy who has a CRF 250x and another that has a KTM 450exc. What do I ride????? A Kawasaki Super Sherpa 250. I think we all have a good time and ride according to our skill levels/the machines we have and have gotten used to. Sometimes my little SHerpa suprises them enough to raise an eyebrow or two.

Equipment and owners have always made me chuckle. When I played competetive raquetball, I remember the guys with the 300 dollar raquets, 100 dollar shoes etc etc. I had a blast smoking them with my mid level Ektelon racket that had been popped and restrung 2 or 3 times.

Personally, I believe that Eric CLapton could make a 100 dollar guitar sing....just like Ricky Carmichael could spank Navin's behind, riding a 1974 TS 90! Until someone is at the pinnacle of their craft, equipment is always...alwayyyys secondary to skill.

A buddy and I took a 2160 mile trip (the Western portion of the TAT) last summer. After I climbed to the top of California Pass, rev'ing second gear to redline so that I could even use 3rd gear at the air starved altitude of 13,000 feet....I joined my buddy at the top. (He was riding a KLX 300R) A few minutes later a group of BMW Adventure bikes arrived...the three of them represented some 40,000 dollars in bikes/excessive gear. Same hill, same route, same view....same ride. I dont think they had any more fun than we did.

I love getting the most out of equipment that "shouldnt be as good" as someone else's "look at me" stuff. It is a challenge. I love it:)

All you CRF 250l and WR Owners....ride on ! They are great little dual sports and I have enjoyed the thread.

Ken
  14. Giddy Goanna

Giddy Goanna Fat tanks 'n skinny women

Oddometer:
    WOW Ken!

You have succinctly expressed my thoughts.
    Much appreciation to the OP for his efforts in answering what has stuck in my mind since the release of the CRFL.

My dirt history goes: '83 XT250, '92 XT225, '97 XL250 Degree, '01 KLX250.
    Most trail rides were a sea of blue (Yam WRF's) and orange.
    Haven't ridden serious dirt since 2009, WRR was tempting, CRFL is sorely tempting! (Price & seat height solved)

Have ridden the better suspended bikes and they were a revelation, but always happy to get back on my dunger.
    I always have fun riding a bike to it's limits (both engine and suspension) and the "beginners bikes" obviously provide a lower, slower ceiling that is safer.

Cheers Y'all,
    Giddy.
  15. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    Well, we just joined the WR250R & CRF250L club. We just picked up a 2013 CRF250L with 600 miles on it for my wife tonight. She's currently riding an XT225 that she's done the Eastern TAT on and other DS rides, so we'll see how the transition is from the XT to the CRF for her.

We are headed out to CO/UT this summer and she's got a few months to decide if the the little bit larger and heavier CRF will be okay before we sell the XT.

We had thought about a WRR for her too, but honestly its so tall and she's only 5'4" with a 29.5" inseam, we'd have to lower it just way too much. She's ridden my WRR, but her initial reaction was that it just didn't jive with her. I think the CRF being a lower bike to begin with and having more torque down low will work to her riding style better. I love how revvy the WRR engine is, but that's not how she rides. In stock form, she can get her feet down pretty good on the CRF. We are going to try the low Seat Concepts in hopes that we can just leave the suspension stock height on the CRF so she gets the most out of it. I just hope the extra weight of the CRF doesn't set her back at all.

We'll give an update once she has some seat time on it. Oh yeah, the CRF is so quiet stock! We enjoy quiet bikes. :clap
  16. ex_MGB

ex_MGB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, here's from another angle. Let's say you're a bit older but in good shape and want to do adventure riding around Central America. You don't intend to do serious off roading, more like dirt and gravel road riding and mostly on road riding. In other words, you want to get back to remote spots via 4wheel roads but not if it means riding a goat trail.

Would the Honda work? Bear in mind, buying new, with the Honda you've got an extra $2k to put toward repair/maintenance. Or, are you better of with the WR with the peace of mind knowing it can take more punishment?
  17. shep546

shep546 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why not go for an older, bigger bike... a 2000ish honda xr650r would be great for your needs.
  18. ex_MGB

ex_MGB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My two current rides are a CBR250R and Helix. I want new and it seems a light, durable 250 with great mileage is sufficient. My thought is that if a 250 will do the job, and is durable, why go bigger and heavier? I would travel with maybe 30 lbs of stuff.
  19. jimhaleyscomet

jimhaleyscomet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The only reason to go heavier (assuming 70+ speed is not required) is to haul more weight (luggage) and with more comfort for 99.9% of the miles. The Honda NC700x gets good reviews (http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2013/02/rideapart-review-honda-nc700x/) as an adventure bike and gets better mileage than a 250. I have a KLR650 dual sport and it gets a bit tricky in wet grass or wet clay off camber single track. If there is a jeep road out there that we can't handle I haven't found it yet and with a 6 gallon tank it has a lot of range.

The 250's give up a bit of comfort for better handling (and safety). They are a lot lighter in the tuff spots (say wet rutted clay road, wet grass, or deep dry sand) and much less likely to break a leg when the bike does fall over on you.

Were I in your situation and wanting a 250 I would go CRF250L. Its lower seat height and linear power makes it far more comfortable than the WR (I have both). Only if you wanted to do single track fast would the WR come back into play. Even a naked 250 street bike will take almost any DRY single track. However, the 250 dual sports are geared lower so you can slow down more in the tough stuff (Rocky steep roads, deep rocky water crossings, loose deep sand, rutted muddy roads). I have been trail gravel road riding on and off for 40 years in snow, on the beach, up through 14,000 feet rocky snowy mountain passes and NEVER had to turn back because I had a 250 dual sport. I did have to push (or pull it) out of a few muddy or very VERY few loose situations though).

Riding your CBR250r carefully down a bit of DRY single track might amaze you with what it can do. You do risk a bit of plastic or lever damage if you try that though. Not that the plastics on 250 dual sports are immune to damage.
  20. slideways

slideways EspaƱa

Oddometer:
    I lived in Central America for 12 years and had numerous bikes.

A 250 will do just fine. I had an XR250 for many years and it was a great bike for South of the Border. You can tag anything with wheels down there so you are not limited to just street legal bikes.

When I was in Honduras I tagged my Ktm 400 and had a blast.