1190R + Existing Wheels?

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by PS-RagE, Aug 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PS-RagE

PS-RagE Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm seriously considering replacing my '04 950 with an 1190R next year. Do you think my offroad Woody's Wheels are going to swap over OK? Maybe with new spacers?
  2. Tancakar

Tancakar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i am sorry but why the fuckk would you want to put 2004 wheels on your 2013 bike ? are you actually know anything about offroad?
  3. Surfdog

Surfdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, 1st they're Woody's... and I'm sure they're 21in wheels.... and that would be the two best answers.

Now, would they fit... don't know but worth the effort.
  4. Frog uk

Frog uk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mate, you really need to pause and think for a second before posting replies like that on a forum like this.:asshat

Would you care to enlighten us all why putting narrower rims in 21 and 18 inch sizes would be such a bad idea, because using newer wider 19 and 17 inch sizes must be better? After all BMW use them don't they?
  5. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    My Behr rims were soft as butter. I got tired of pounding the flat heads out with a 10 lb. coated dumbbell. And Saxxas weren't much better.

And I'm not big on 19/17 wheels on full travel suspension bikes. Seems like the wrong side of compromise...

Just my 2 cents on what I "Are knowing".
  6. Jaimoto

Jaimoto Spaniard in Chile

Oddometer:
    I second that.
    The same guy who never rode off road according to him, recommending the standard 1190 Adv cause "it's bloddy good offroad" and the R is too hardcore...this guy knows why woody's 21-18 are bad idea. He got it, we don't
  7. Martynho

Martynho No more Chilegringo.

Oddometer:
    Sorry I cant advise you on whether it can be done or not, but if you can sort it you should.

We have already seen a set of standard 1190 wheels go tits up during one hard offroad ride here in Chile. Of course being tubeless the effect of a big rim hit meant a complete and unrecoverable pressure loss. The guy had to fit tubes to ride away

Woody's are well known to be tough as old boots.
  8. PPiA

PPiA Pete

Oddometer:
    Don't know if yours will fit, but curious what Woody charges for a set of wheels?

I'm thinking of buying a pair of stronger wheels to fit knobbies on, and keeping the stock ones for the Conti Attacks.
  9. RoteEddie

RoteEddie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You obviously don't know much about anything!:csm (social skills, offroad, english etc)
  10. Katoom72

Katoom72 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you actually go offroad? Calling someone out on knowing nothing about offroad -> It would be amazing if you enlightened us with your knowledge and pleased us with footage of your incredible skill!
  11. Tancakar

Oddometer:
    Seriously some you moan that the suspension is too soft some of you said the wheels are too shit. Some people taking this bike around the world trips already. To know something you don't have to experience the thing! I only ridden off road when I bout my ktm. A month ago I took the bike again off road. Well how much off road is off road? For me it was off road for you may be not ?

Now if you open a topic saying that you want to install near over 10 years old wheels to your 2013 abs bike I really laught at you no matter what.
    I would understand if you say you like to buy woody wheels what ever reason.

Ktm try to increase the sales and try to open the ktm market to all riders that's why they do the changes .

Not long ago some people talking about how bad is that Ktm put tubeless tires to the adventure bike ? What the fuck? Tubeless tires are the future! Correct me if I am wrong but why the cars all got tubeless even offroad?
    You sort of guys if you really seriously want to go off road you need to first consider what you going to do with that chain as I know and heard lost of break downs in Africa because the chain breaking from the rocks.

Please stop fucking comparing the 1190 to 950 adventure I test rode it, it's big bike and nothing nice about it! It's just higher and tube tires and wheels a little nicer so they say . You don't get on the 950 you climb on it! Vibrates like very early v twins. 1190 more user friendly and there is a lot you get for your money.
  12. Tancakar

Oddometer:
    You don't have to go offroad to know the topic is shit! The suggestion is shit. Yes I try to go off road as much as I can.

Why the hell do I need to know how to ride on offroad to actually comment on this topic ?

Just asking why? Why why why would you ever consider doing that wheel change ?
  13. PPiA

PPiA Pete

Oddometer:
    Woody's wheels are stronger.
  14. Tancakar

Oddometer:
    Some one from Norway saying me that I don't have social skills :) allright

I am not English may be my language is not as good , I do have some off road knowledge, I can assure you I know as much as people just writing in this topic.

If you really serious and going to do very massive offroad, 1190 990 950 isn't the bike I am afraid.Because you need to be lighter off road.

so people telling me that I don't know offroad how do they justify that I don't know offroad ?
  15. Katoom72

Oddometer:
    Because they bend and leave you stranded. That's why!

Some people ride harder offroad then others and need to upgrade allot of stuff on their bike to keep it in good and safe running condition. SO the topic or suggestion is not shit. The only shit in this topic is your wiseass comments.

Why do you need to know how to ride offroad?
    Because in your first comment you where an asshat and acted like you knew it all. And the OP was crazy for replacing his wheels on his 2013 bike! Thus im calling you out on your self-proclaimed knowledge. Wich obviously, is none existent.

1190 990 950 is not the bike to go offroad? They are marketed as the best offroad adventure bike. Is it a motocrossbike? Is it perfect? Hell no! That's why people alter the machine to make it better offroad. Nothing more fun then trashing a bigass bike trough rough terrain, that's why we bloody love to ride the KTM adventures! If the material can't keep up then it has to be replaced by better stuff, that's why the OP wants the woodys over the stockers.

Speak your opinion in a decent manner or be even smarter and just keep quite!

Now show that steed some sand and rocks. But don't forget to bring tubes and irons. :lol3
  16. Tancakar

Oddometer:
    I make a comment like that because even the 1190 standard is a lot better then bmw GS LC. It gives a lot confidence I added ! People like me didn't ride as much offroad will have a lot confidence with standard I said.
    However if you understand it like that it means there is something wrong with you I am afraid . I didn't comment 21,18 inch is good or bad idea I said why the fuck would you do that ?
  17. Tancakar

Oddometer:
    2013 ktm 1190 adventure R

The new 1190 Adventure R is the only choice for all those who want to make no compromises at all when offroad with a travel enduro. Larger wheels - 21-inch at the front, 18-inch at the rear - a whole 220 millimetres of suspension travel front and back, along with a fully adjustable chassis, optimise its offroad ability. If desired, the 21-inch (front) and 18-inch (rear) wheels can be fitted with deep-tread knobbly tyres, thereby extending the field of use dramatically. Desert perhaps? No problem!
    The following features distinguish the 1190 Adventure R:
    » Wider aluminium handlebar with "ball-burnished" finish
    » Seat height not adjustable, but single-piece/full-length for offroad use
    » Longer suspension travel for improved offroad ability
    » 21" and 18" wheel diameters for improved offroad ability
    » Standard tyres (90/90 ZR (260) 21 and 150/70 ZR (260) 18)
  18. Tancakar

Oddometer:
    Also In this forum there is a guy traveling around the world with 1190 adventure R , may be its ideal to check what he has to say about this ! Anyway just waste of time for me and this is my opinion !
  19. PPiA

PPiA Pete

Oddometer:
    This does not guarantee the quality of the wheels, it just points out the advantages it has over the std model.
  20. Katoom72

Oddometer:
    And? What point are you trying to make? It's well known the old adv has the same weakness in wheels the new one also has. They are to soft and bend when you go a bit to rough on them.
    To overcome that issue the OP wants to replace them ,BEFORE they bend, with the woody's setup.

I don't know how i can express it more clearly. It's not like KTM is gonna add the fact that they can bend when they have to handle very rough terrain....

The bike ain't perfect, deal with it! (not even a KTM is perfect, and im a KTM nutter. I pee, shit and bleed orange)

Does he batter the crap out of it on hard and rocky terrain? Or is he just traveling around the world...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.