The CRF250L Owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by joec63, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Oldtimer

Oldtimer Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I resemble that remark. :freaky:clap
  2. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie High-Tech Meets Low Class Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lake Isabella, CA USA / Mai Chau, Vietnam
  3. trainman

trainman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Lost Rider, that's what I was looking for, John
  4. Boismj03

Boismj03 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Lost,
    I am really enjoying this thread, alot of great info on here. I got a CRF 250 L a couple days ago and I am really liking it.. a couple of questions for ya:
    Which Airhawk pad are you running?
    Also I am looking at risers and bars for my LRP.
    Did you have any issues with cable lengths for your Rox 1.5" risers?
    Also curious about the bazzaz mapping!

Here it is... stock so far with a GL Fandango tank bag. Great bike
    [​IMG]
  5. Lost Roadie

Oddometer:
    Nice!

Welcome to the club! :freaky

We're running the AIRHAWK Cruiser Pillion pad, depending on how big your ass is, it works very well. I have a couple Medium Cruiser pads for other bikes and would use them on the LRP if I wasn't a skinny Euro sized guy...

http://www.therohostore.com/Product...on-Seating-System-wCover__CRUISERPILLION.aspx

No issues with cable lengths with the ROX risers and KX High Protaper bars, though I do reroute the clutch cable to the rear of the triple clamp. i think I posted about it way back when I did it, you can do a thread search if need be.

I'm also curious about what Bazzaz will do for the LRP, if past experience is any indication it will be a substantial improvement. Bazzaz is a highly respected FI tuner, the only one I'd consider to put on my bikes after getting to know the guys in the R&D department and seeing their shop. These guy live it.
    I will be out of town until the 11th, when I get the LRP back I'll be sure to share my experiences. I believe Bazzaz will be doing the testing/tuning with an aftermarket slip-on pipe, and I have done the cost free air box mod, opening up the intake, so I'll need to decide if I keep the OEM exhaust or go with the slip on they used to tune the bike.
    I HATE loud bikes, it's a nuisance to everyone and doesn't help promote our sport to non-riders and is very counter productive to helping keep our trails open. It will be a hard decision and only if there's DB-killer quiet inserts available for what they use will I consider keeping it...
    Either way an improvement in power at a low cost with little effect on reliability or the option to choose maps for better MPG when getting Lost is good by me.

More LRP action!~

[​IMG]
  6. Demar39

Demar39 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like your jacket.... although I'm a few sizes bigger than you. Are you warm on the hot days... does it breathe well?
  7. Lost Roadie

Oddometer:
    These recent photos aren't of me, but a rider on a Lost fly and ride tour riding the LRP so I can't comment on the riding gear. What I wear personally is listed on my website, and there's various threads in the Equipment Forum about Rukka gear. :1drink

This is me on the LRP.

[​IMG]
  8. emreturkeli

emreturkeli "Ruzgarin Tersine"

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone!

You're gonna make my wife divorce me! :D It's been 3 days and nights that I'm going through this insane 235 pages! Finally I'm done!

During the 3 days that I was reading this thread, here's my progress:
    - I made a downpayment for a CRF, the delivery is probably mid March latest.
    - Made a list of what I will put on the bike (farkles farkles!!) :evil Actually I made two according priorities.

and now I'm dying because neither I have something left to read on the forum, nor I have the bike!! :lol3

Anyway here is my list:

by the way I'm 178cm (I think thats 5'10) 83kg, will be riding both in the city as commuter, and off road all weekends, but I'm preparing the bike offroad oriented! :evil

Priority #1
    - ManRack Utility Rear Rack
    - FlatLand Radiator Guard
    - FlatLand or Emperor Skid Plate (couldn't decide any help appreciated)
    - Rox Elite Pivoting Risers 2"
    - ProTaper Contour KX High Bend (or a rental bar, just because red would look great, again not sure)
    - Pro Taper Pillow Top Grips

- HighWay Hand Guards (I think those are providing the best protection, but I don't like the look and shape of the plastics and the straight look of the bars when looking from the front, maybe I didn't see enough photos with the correct angle? But still confused about the handguard matter...
    - Regular Foldable Mirrors (RAM) or Highway HG mirror addition but honestly I don't beleive that those will perform well.

- 13t Front Sprockets
    - Speedo DRD Calibrator
    - Foldable Gear Lever
    - Yoshimura Fender Eliminator and some smaller LED front and rear blinkers (any recommendations?)
    - Steel braided brake lines front and rear

Priority #2:
    - FMF Q4 Exhaust
    - FMF MegaBomb Header
    - FI Mapper EJK or equivalent
    - 42t Rear Sprocket (if need felt)

Priority #3: (If I decide that the bike is a keeper, and decide to not sell it for sure)

- Seat Concepts (carbon gripper red)
    - Race Tech rear shock and I don't know where can I tune the front fork here in Turkey

and the worst part is that in my stupid country any shipment with a value above 80$ is hold at the customs and kept mandatory for stupid custom fees like %65 :cry so my only option is to wait to have friends visiting USA, so that they can bring the parts to me. Some EBay sellers understand the situation and declare lower values for international shipments but I think that's a low possibility with these kind of companies? (I'm afraid to ask them since some of them acts and responds as if it's a fraud but I don't see it that way considering the unfair reasons the government does that!) anyway thanks in advance for all the help and guidance! :clap
  9. goondock

goondock Adventurer

Oddometer:

I have DRC led markers and DRC tail light with DRC eliminator kit. bought them form Wheeling Cycle Supply if you are concerend about the blinkers blinking fast you will need the IRC Relay to make them blink at stock speed. that IRC relay just replaces the stock relay. if you dont care about fast blinkers then you dont need it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  10. RonZacapa

RonZacapa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have my lrp now for about 3 months and done just over 1600 hassle free km with it. Had to get to a meeting yesterday that was like hurry up & wait, like you rush like mad to get there on time (lack of proper planning on my part) just to find out that theres another meeting running late before yours. Anyways, I was pleasantly surprised when the lrp was barreling along at an indicated 149 km/h (92.6mph) on a downhill section with me ducking down. I know the speedo over reads by a good few km but it still felt plenty fast. In town and through the traffic I prefer the lrp over my XR650L and the R80 airhead, its just about the perfect little runaround.
  11. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got a question. To fill the tank, it looks like the zipper unzips from the front left, down the side, then at the rear unzips further from L to R allowing the tank bag to flop to the left for gas cap access. If the bike is on the sidestand, does the tankbag want to flop back into place while filling the tank? Since the CRF has those silly bars across the fill hole, I use 2 hands on the gas filler to make sure the gas flows into the tank and not all over everything. Any commentary on your experiences fueling with this tank bag?
  12. lccpmj

lccpmj Totes amaze balls

Oddometer:
    Hi Everyone,

Picked up my CRF250L 2 weeks ago and loving it! Glad I found this place as it's a wealth of information. Only problem I can find is the lack of accessories here in the UK - Honda UK only lists a work mat and motocross tent ffs. Anyway, managed to get this ordered from France today, as Arrow UK don't stock it.

[​IMG]
  13. trainman

trainman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    lccpmj, welcome to the forum, when I first got my bike there were several places in the UK that sold items for your bike, but never bought from any of them. Type in CRF's Only, they are here in the US and carry a large number of items for your new bike, don't know about shipping to the UK cost, but it will give you a good idea on what's out there for your bike. Good Luck and welcome again to this forum, there are others on this forum from the UK so someone should be able to help.

John
  14. kiwi5

kiwi5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I know it's a debatable subject but does anyone pay attention to "carefully" breaking in the LRP during the first 1000K, or do you just ensure to vary the speed and thrash it?
  15. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    I have this bag on my DR650 (and use it on my KLX250S). It's awesome. I just unzip it partially and flop it over. It doesn't want to flop back over at all.. hang hangs down pretty low, and with the stuff IN the bag, it adds "ballast." I would expect it'd be just as good for the LRP.

Rob
  16. SAPB

SAPB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Everybody is all over the place on this subject, but it has been pointed out that Honda knows a thing or two about small engines. Might not be a bad idea to follow the break in period advice on page 10 of the owner's manual. Just my 2ยข
  17. radiation

radiation n00b

Oddometer:
    Ok this may have already been covered, forgive me. I'm 6ft and 250lbs, anyone here that size with one? How does it do, or buy a bigger bike? I should be back in the 200 range before I purchase but if the right deal came up I'd buy now.

<Flame> on

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
  18. emreturkeli

emreturkeli "Ruzgarin Tersine"

Oddometer:
    Do you think it's possible to combine Cycra and Highway Handguards parts this way?

- Buying the Center Reach Bar version of Cycra HandGuards
    - and mounting it to the Fancy TopClamp of Highway Handguards?

Because I really like the bar and the plastic guard design of Cycra, but hate the idea of clamps in the center of my handlebar, on the other hand I again love the topclamp idea of Highway hand guards...

I hope somebody will confirm this.. :ear

PS: by the way I'm about to get offended by not getting any reply for my big first message... :(:
  19. miles44

miles44 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So in a previous post I noted that my new Lrp was having excessive head shake. Well the bike has accumulated 1400 miles and I am posting to say the problem is getting worse. I've checked the tire pressure but found that it is within spec. And at this point I'm not sure what to check. One thing I do want to note is that the headshake only happens when there is a car n front of me and I'm in their "backdraft". The bigger the vehicle the worse the shaking. If there is no one in front of me the bike rides smooth. I'm thinking maybe I should take it to the dealer I bought it from.
    Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
  20. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:

I'd suggest reading over chapter 16 of the service manual regarding proper tightening of the fork legs, front axle and the steering bearings...on page 16-27 they discuss steering bearing pre-load....never seen that in other service manuals of bikes I have owned....they seem to want the head bearings pretty snug