Bikes you didn't like nearly as much as you thought you would.

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by davidji, Nov 18, 2012.

1. gring0loc0

gring0loc0 lane splitter

Oddometer:
    Although I've never ridden a bike that didn't put a smile on my face, I must say...

BMW F650GS 2 cyl version. An f800 motor, but tuned down. Why would anyone want something like this? I took it on the test ride, accelerated to red line a few times and :bore
  2. Lee Dodge

Lee Dodge Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yamaha WR250X. I read the big thread about what a wonderful bike it was and the amazing motor. I wound up hating the motor. It had no torque. You had to wring its neck all the time to make any forward progress. Low speed fueling was very jerky. The thing that finally made me sell it though was the sound. For some reason I just could not stand the sound of it.
  3. expatbrit

expatbrit Still pretty much a n00b.

Oddometer:
    KTM 950 SM.

Not the bike's fault, per-se. When it was running, it was fabulous.

It was just incontinent. If it had a fluid, it drooled, sprayed, or squirted it at some point. I had gas tank leaks (3 tanks!), gas tank fountains, oil leaks, coolant leaks. It only drooled from the clutch master slave.

Add to that the local KTM dealer, and the fact that the last time I rode it -- to look at trading it in, and FROM said dealer after the 3rd new tank -- it dumped petrol all down the sides of the rear cylinder and stopped firing that (FUNNY). It was going to leave me stranded, or just catch fire with me on it at some point.
  4. No False Enthusiasm

No False Enthusiasm a quiet adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just when I'm looking at a couple of these posted in Flea Market... :lol3

NFE
  5. Nophix

Nophix Ride. Eat. Repeat

Oddometer:
    Not mine, per se'. Well, any bike thats hers is mine, right? My wife had a '97 GSXR600 for a while. She wound up not caring for it much, and as much as I tried, I couldnt like it. Every time I got on it I wanted to kill it.

Vibrated like crazy, had no power, handled like a tank. It just felt completely "off" no matter what we did to it.

Nice looking bike, though.
    [​IMG]
  6. Jim K.

Jim K. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought this bike was right in my wheelhouse when I bought it in 1980. It was the 'standard" CX &I rode it for 4 years but never "bonded". I'm not sure why....it was very good in every way, it was stone reliable, smooth as silk, moderately quick for it's displacement, a little on the heavy side, but not overly so. It did everything I asked of it, commuting, 2 week touring every summer, no problem with 2-up rides, even good on gas. I even liked the funky, faux Guzzi looks. Looking back, it was a wonderful bike, just not the bike for me.
  7. dirtdreamer50

dirtdreamer50 long time rider

Oddometer:
    I've made some expensive mistakes over the past few years. Couple of Harleys that I never got comfortable with. A Triumph Sprint 1050 and a Triumph Tiger 1050 made their way through the garage, too. Finally happy with the Dyna, RT, and the XR. Wasted thousands getting to that point. Hope to not put myself into such a position again. tp dd50
  8. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place Supporter

Oddometer:
    '00 R1150GS.

I was supposed to love that bike. Everybody raved about them. I hated it from the first time I rode it. :deal

Comfy Corbin seat, excellent heated grips, terrific brakes and decent midrange power. That's about all I liked about it.

It went through fuel like a garbage scow, was only marginally lighter. Had the worst suspension action/quality of any bike I'd ridden since maybe ever. Throttle control was terrible, more like an on-off switch than an actual throttle. FI system was a very crude/dumb cost saving measure from a company that knows better. The list goes on.

What a load.

:puke1

[​IMG]
    matbaugh likes this.
  9. kirb

kirb should be out riding

Oddometer:
    I rode a '99 Buell M2 for 11 years and was really interested in moving 'up'. Buell was closing out all models at the time and I pulled the trigger on the 1125cr. First ride looked like a monkey f'in a football with the 'clubman' bars, so I put on a set of Rizomas with the rest of the 'high bar' kit and lowered the footpegs. Much better. Seat was like plywood, but the bike was a hoot to flog.

I put something like 2k miles on it over a year. I just couldn't get used to how 'frantic' the motor sounded, how easy the plastics scratched, how difficult the valves were going to be, and the GF hated riding on it. I sold it for what I paid a year later, bought a Griso, and moved on.

[​IMG]
  10. ninepeaks9

ninepeaks9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Hey, isn't that the same model of bike that two well known dudes took around the world and still has most loyal following in the adventure motorcycle world? And you just trashed it here? :rofl
  11. Rinty

Rinty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So what do you like? :lol3
  12. PAULIBIKER

PAULIBIKER Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not keeping track, but there sure does seem like a lot of BMW's in this thread..................:hmmmmm
  13. Mr. Canoehead

Mr. Canoehead Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer:
    Calgary, dreaming of riding the Alps, again
    Lornce is a Buell man through and through.

Funny because I love my GSA but the Buell is an itch I gotta scratch. Buddy just bought an XT, and so I'll be trying it out in the spring.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
  14. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place Supporter

Oddometer:

This bike rocks. I just know it.

[​IMG]
  15. Anticyclone

Anticyclone Out

Oddometer:
    2007 Triumph Tiger 1050. Bought it used and owned it for 8 months and about 10k miles, so it wasn't all horrible obviously. Good commuting and around town bike. Nice on the weekends. Not the best gearbox. What sealed the deal for me was how the thing handled when loaded down for a camping trip for a few days.

The bags (which are oddly shaped and tiny on the inside/ bulky on the outside) are carried high and very far back. I simply could not get the thing to handle they way I wanted to with a load. I'm not talking about a 150lb passenger her either. I'm talking about as much camping gear as you'd carry on your back, maybe 50lb. I did all sorts of messing with the suspension. I ended up just humping the hell out of the tank for a 2000 mile long weekend through the Appalachians.

Oh, also the buffeting was atrocious, the headlight should have been a criminal offense and the engine leaked oil through a flaw in the engine case. Not a bad gasket or loose bolt, and actual hole in the block through which oil would seep and spray the back tire and leave a puddle in the garage. I'm still baffled how the previous owners missed that. I put some black RTV on that and traded it before it could leak any more. Kind of soured me on the whole "Boutique" bike experience...
  16. Cos

Cos Re-Greekified

Oddometer:
    Triumphs are "boutique" bikes? :lol3

Sorry you had a bad experience mate. I've had my 955 Tiger for 6 years and it's never missed a beat.

The one that really did it for me was the Aprilia Dorsoduro.

Fueling...meh...couldn't be tuned either, so that blew.

Aprilia marketed it as some kind of wild thing...it's not. Nice bike and all, not quite the hooligan they made it out to be.

Suspension...good on paper, could never get it to be motardy enough. Too harsh, horrible at absorbing bumps.

Couple of little things, like my dash going blank and the hoses spraying hot coolant on my legs.

What sealed the deal was the abysmal range. I was on the throttle pretty hard ( engine is really nice and the sound is awesome), so i got the dreaded fuel light every seventy five miles...tops. Just as you're getting warmed up...stop and refuel. Blech.
  17. Anticyclone

Anticyclone Out

Oddometer:
    Around here they are:lol3. 2.5 hours to the nearest dealer...
  18. Celtic Curmudgeon

Celtic Curmudgeon Indiana Jones wanabe

Oddometer:
    Biggest disappointment I actually bought was a CB1000 (Big One). Loved the styling, was well made, comfortable, and the handling and brakes were good, but the engine was a massive disappointment, even after a V&H pipe and rejet. I guess at that time the makers hadn't figured out that many people who want a big standard/naked want open-class power as well, not some wheezy detuned lump. The guy at the shop told me he could get the power I wanted, but would involved cams and other expensive tweaks I didn't want to mess with.

The biggest disappointment I ever rode was a mid-80's Sportster a buddy of mine was selling. Ridiculous ergos and controls, clunky, and bog slow. Put me off the whole "Harley Experience". Rode it around and block and said "no thanks". The next time I rode a Harley was a 2010 Road King, and I was blown away at how well it did what it was made to do.
  19. AdvStrider

AdvStrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a 2008 Yamaha Fazer 600 for 2 months, after a mate who has a 2002 model told me how wonderful they are. It was the dullest bike I've ridden, boring and had no character. I got it as a winter bike, but hated the thing and traded against a 2011 Triumph Street Triple R. Now that was an AWESOME bike:lol3:D
  20. Sidewise

Sidewise Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All of them!

For those of you who think motorcycles have character or soul that's purely a euphemism for "there's something wrong with this damn thing" but I refuse to admit it.