Fieldsheer

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by GroundFighter, Apr 11, 2007.

1. GroundFighter

GroundFighter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What the general concensus of the Fieldsheer riding gear.
    Opinions?
  2. lowflyer

lowflyer Sarcastic savant

Oddometer:
    I have a Highlander suit that has held up quite nicely. This is a get what you pay for sort of thing though. A 'stich it is not.
  3. titan305

titan305 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a pair of the ventilated pants. I like the fit and hard armor in the knees and hip padding. It also has a zip out liner which is great. I usually ride with jeans on under the pants.

I also have two of their jackets. Buttons broke on one of them, not a big deal. I only paid 99 for each of them.

Overall happy. Alot better and alot worse out there.
  4. 16873

16873 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a mesh jacket for summer riding that ripped to shreds. Still have the scars to prove it. Make sure it is a step above mesh at the very least.
  5. smammon

smammon Ninja Hippie

Oddometer:
    I have a mesh jacket and pants. Used them on a 4k road trip last summer. Loved the mesh pants in the heat. Never went down in them and they seemed ok - till I tried something else.

I looked at a ton of other gear at the RA rally and started to have my doubts. Liked just about everything else better. Now I have Tourmaster gear. Big difference in construction and materials. Got the Flex jacket - very cool. Changes from a full waterproof insulated to a balistic shell to a partial mesh all in one. The cordura used is about 3 times the dennier of anything on the feildsheer and all the seams are double stiched at a min. I also like the way they do the mesh better. For example, the areas you are most likely to have contact (like the outer side of arm / elbow /shoulder /back) is 1000 or 1500 dennier. Even in it's most open configuration on my Tourmaster jacket the mesh is only on the top of the arms, the chest and sides of the back. The Feildsheer is 100% mesh with single stiched seams in large areas. I can't imagine it would hold up well in much of a slide.

On my Feildsheer stuff the seams all started to un-ravel and zippers stared to come out. One thing I did like was the back protector. Seemed like I had an ironing board back there at first but I think it's better than anything else I've seen in the lower priced gear.

My advice is pay a little more and move up a notch to Tourmaster, Cortech, or First gear level. Go to a shop that carries several makes and see the construction for yourself.
  6. TheMan

TheMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have FS leather pants which I've ridden hard for two years+ . They've held up and performed very well during that time though I've not field-tested them in a getoff yet. No zipper, stitch, or seam failures. At least the leathers seem to be good quality.
  7. Kinsman

Kinsman Ribs....for her pleasure

Oddometer:
    I went down in a Fieldsheer one-piece on some really really rough asphalt....the shoulder did tear, or rather was ground away. Also ground nearly through the shell of my helmet. But the CE armor and the 1000 denier Cordura kept my skin in place, and no damage to me.

I think it's as good as anything else that is made of Cordura. It gets a recommend from me.
  8. adaycj

adaycj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a fieldsheer 1 piece suit I am happy with. I have used it for a little over a year. I have had no failed seams or zippers. I had a 40mph get off on a gravel road a few weeks ago and the suit held up fine and the armor worked. No notable injuries and the suit survived.

I have never owned a Stich so I cannot compare.

http://www.fieldsheer.com/2007web/web3/tech.html

Here is a link with advertising/propaganda from Fieldsheer. The material they now use isn't called Cordura, but suspiciously it seems to perform the same in the tests shown.

The Phoslite works well too, and my suit has a good share of it.
  9. DragonRider1

DragonRider1 East TN Adventurer!

Oddometer:
    Knoxville,TN next to Deal's Gap & Cherohala Skyway
    I have a set of fieldsheer pants that I bought (liked the full-leg zippers to make it easier to get on/off while wearing boots). Two daysafter I bought it I started a 4,500 mile ride. The first afternoon one of the pocket zippers broke. Second day the two loops that hold the liner in the bottom of the pants broke. Recently the other two zippers (main and pocket) broke. The entire bottom of the crotch area has frayed out though I don't know when it started or how long it's been doing it. I have had the pants for less than a year. I got frustrated and gave a call to the company. They said to throw it in a box with a note, send it in, and they will fix it if they can and replace it if they can't at no charge. I plan to be doing that this week.

For reference: the hein Gericke/First Gear pants, jackets, etc. look new after 8 years and are still bone dry in torrential rains!
  10. CA_Strom

CA_Strom Cunning Linguist Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Temples of Syrinx (Treasure Valley Idaho)
    I have a FS zero condition 3/4 jacket and a Mach 1 mesh/leather jacket, and I've been happy with both considering the $$. Check out Brockton Cycles for some great deals on FS gear.
  11. AirheadPaddy

AirheadPaddy “An inconvenience is only an adventure"

Oddometer:
    Have had FS HydroTour jacket and Apollo pants for a year...no complaints and no crashes to test. Would have rather had the Booster pants that unzip all the way but they were backordered at the time and I did not want to wait. One of my riding partners bought a set as above with the Booster pants and is happy also. I think a good deal considering the $$$:D
  12. markgsnw

markgsnw WTF?

Oddometer:
    two FS jackets here, I'm happy with them, seem to be well made and a good value. I had more issues with my Roadcrafter.
  13. ErikU

ErikU Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a FS jacket. The zipper broke after about 800mi of use. I had to replace the zipper, but other than that it's been ok. Totally waterproof so far, and the protection seems good,.. better than many!
  14. anatinae

anatinae As Bad As Can

Oddometer:
    My wife and I have the FS Adventure pant. Nice protection (ce hip & knee), seemingly good quality at reasonable price. Only time will tell.
  15. minidisco

minidisco When are we going?

Oddometer:
    Two FS jackets, tested on 3wk trip through the worst rain falls of Alaska: rain & sleet, lots of dust, misery to spare... never once got wet, totally waterproof and with great insulation. Now looking for FS pants to replace the Ballistic 5.0 that barely held up one season only!
  16. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer:
    fell off with the FS mesh stuff on dirt at 70mph. Held up brilliantly, didnt tear.

fell off on tar at a low 40mph, and it melted the nylon on the pants right through. thank goodness my rolling action ensured that not just one section would get all the attention. never go nylon again in my life.
  17. crash50

crash50 Idaho Back Country

Oddometer:
    I have a FS Zero condition jacket as well. I have used it for the last three years, off road and on road. I have stayed dry and have yet to use the liner, even though I live in central Idaho and ride from March, (if possible) through November.
    I have had up to 1/2 inch of ice on the front from freezing rain and stayed dry. ( I used a Columbia coat fleece liner then though)

My only gripe is that it only has two very small horizontal vents on the front of the shoulders. No zipper failures as yet. I wish the velcro strap was longer as I have a 18" neck.
    I also have a pair of thier waterproof nylon pants, but I use Olympia riding pants instead. The FS pants are used on the off-road Quad in the spring and late fall and for snowblowing in the winter.

It will assist in weight loss in the summer.

For the money, $99.00 on clearance, the jacket has been okay, but next time it's First Gear for me.
  18. KeepItSafe

KeepItSafe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wonder what Denier the Carbolex and Cordura they were comparing. Hopefully, it'd at least be equal, as to say comparing 620 to 620.

Does anyone know about their 1000 Denier Maxtena? Such as that found in their Tour Temp TX Jacket? http://www.fieldsheer.com/2007web/web3/product/tourtemp.htm

It's Maxtena, as opposed to Carbolex and is described as Super Abrasion Resistant, something the Carblolex jackets don't say. It's also more expensive than their Carbolex. I'm unable to contact them and ask about it, because when I click on the Contact Us link a small window pops up. The small window has the box for emailing them, but has no scroll bar so that I can go down and hit Submit. Anyone else have that problem?
  19. Snapper

Snapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lowside at around 40ish in 2 piece perforated leather "Airspeed" Both the jacket and the pants split their seams some 6 to 10 inches long... and I'm a lightweight 5'8" 150lb guy. Won't buy that crap again.
  20. longtallsally

longtallsally Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer:
    I've been rockin' a Highlander for well over a year and probably 15k total or so on the GS as well as a sportbike. No worries. Quality is really pretty good, but he hook and loop (velcro) isn't that great and probably my only complaint. No offs to speak of with it, so I can't speak to that, but I trust it. Fit isn't perfect either, but I struggle with that by design due to being a goon.

I'd buy it again.