Considering Ride to 2014 Merlefest

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by deltamark, Mar 19, 2014.

1. deltamark

deltamark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Considering a ride to the April 24 - 27, 2014 Merlefest in Wilkesboro, NC. Never been there. It seems like there's no camping on the premises. Any local recommendations for camping or any other advice for this event?
  2. 4PawsHacienda

4PawsHacienda Inadvertent unrepentant wanderer

Oddometer:
    Not trying to be funny but there is camping everywhere in that area, especially during the festival. Just follow signs or ask. Be prepared for wet, it is spring around here.
    Check out Hwy 16 thru Hungry Mothers State Park on our way home!
    Other music venues in the area:
    Blue Ridge Music Center - on BRP.
    Crooked Road Music Trail - listing of many of the weekly traditional music jam sessions in the area.
    FloydFest and Galax Old Time Fiddlers Convention are absolutely worth a visit.

You'll enjoy the festival, good music everywhere.
  3. SidewinderX

SidewinderX Hey, watch this! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's been 8 plus years since I've been to Merlefest but my best experience in my 15 years of attending has been to camp at Bandits Roost campground on Kerr Scott Lake. It has showers and is just a couple miles from the fest. If you are looking for late night jams this would not be the place though as it's quiet at night.

Tips for the fest

1. It's alcohol free and your bags will be checked on the way in.
    2. Merlefest attendees make up a listening crowd so if you talk during a show, don't be surprised if you get shussed.
    3. Bring some folded plastic to sit on as its easily portable and much less hassle than carrying a chair.
    4. Sunscreen and a hat are a must.
    5. I was always satisfied with the food selections at the fest.

http://www.recreation.gov/camping/bandits-roost/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=73074
  5. TLtrials

TLtrials Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. deltamark

deltamark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Appreciate the info, Tastroman. Wow, didn't know it was alcohol free. Not sure if I ever had a festival experience like that. Guess without alcohol, probably don't have to worry about too many shushers and shushees.:D

And TLtrials, Thanks for the link. Partying, shuttles and all night jams at a waste water treatment plant ... this I must do :1drink

Lookin' forward to riding. Thanks all ...