Another 276c Happy Camper

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Gerg, May 7, 2004.

1. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer

Oddometer:
    Got my 276C Garmin yesterday from GPSDiscount (Thanks for the tip Arch:thumb). I also got the Touratech 176 MvG mount from CycoActive. Took a while to get it all sorted out...

I cut a hole in the mount to allow the power plug to "float" in the GPS and not press on the mount. I also (not so gently) put a small bend in the plate to allow the gps to seat deeper in the mount, relieved the area arount the antenna to allow better clearance, and lenthened the verticle slot that the GPS lip fits into. Having used the MvG mount for the GPS V, this isn't quite as secure a mount :dunno

The hole on the right, the deeper antenna hole, the longer verticle slot, and the not so subtle bend in the back plate.
    [​IMG]

The RAM Mount
    [​IMG]

The other downside is I'm using a RAM mount to hold this on the handle bars. The unit is too big and heavy to use this set-up for serious off road. I'm looking into a shorter arm that is a straight shot either up or down rather than from the side like I have it now.

Took a short ride this morning and this thing ROCKS. The redraw when using the in/out buttons is instantaneous. Very easy to read. Lots of information, also easily readable. It seems to have a better reciever than the V as well. It will sync up in the garage where the V wouldn't.

So far my only bitch is the track function. It looks like you can't turn it off. I'm still looking to see if I can. It certainly isn't a problem, the unit has computing power to spare. As an example I input the MOA National site in as a waypoint and told it to route from Home to there. Took less than a minute. Can wait for the "off course" testing (one of my bitches about the V, too slow).

Now to wait for the 256Meg card :evil

Gerg
  2. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    First of all, :thumb Gerg!
    As for turning off the track log, hit Menu twice, click down to Track on the left, then over to Record Mode to the right. Gotta be out of simulator mode, though. :D
  3. jcolombo

jcolombo Lurking Moderator

Oddometer:
    I have a shorty arm (2"?) I'm not using - PM me if you want it.

JC
  4. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer

Oddometer:
    JC, I've got an assortment due to fitting to three different bike. I've got the short arm too. Just need to tinker with it a bit.

Thanks for the offer.
    Gerg
  5. bpeterson

bpeterson no other way to say it

Oddometer:
    looks good! :thumb which RAM clamp is that on the bars, the large one they make?
  6. CroMag

CroMag Gelande Sauté It

Oddometer:
    Gerg, I see a lot of guys using the RAM mounts, but doesn't that elevate the GPS too much (aka blocking the instruments from view)? What about vibration transmitted up the arm?

I have a Ricky bar setup, same as yours, as best I can tell. I'm currently running a GPS V, and got a bolt on cross bar from Touratech, which allowed me to use the Touratech mount which uses two clamps directly onto the crossbar. Keeps the unit below the instruments and centered on the bar.

Just curious cause thanks to you ffs, I'm now lusting for a 276.
  7. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer

Oddometer:
    CroMag

I use the RAM for portability. I did have my V mounted on the handlebar clamp before I got multiple motorcycles. With the RAM it's easy to move from bike to bike

Brian, It's the "P" mount that's listed Here

Gerg
  8. Marc

Marc Just sayin...

Oddometer:
    I bought MiGSel's GS GPS bracket and installed it on my GS. It looks exactly like this:

[​IMG]

I disassembled the stock Garmin marine mounting bracket and attached a RAM Round-Flat Base to the bottom (item A) - then tie it all together with a short RAM arm (item I).

I position the GPS up and to the left a bit where it doesn't block any instruments at all. With the short arm at an angle, there is no vibration and the thing is solid.

I give it :thumb :thumb two thumbs up.

For the DRZ, I'm waiting for Touratech to modify their 176 MvG mount so that everything (including the cable) will fit perfectly. I'm told "they're working on it."

Marc

[​IMG]
  9. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'll probably buy the correct mount when it becomes available :evil
    I put some more miles on it last night and found that it does obscure too much of the dash (idiot lights). I've move it further out on the bars and I'm using the shorter (shortest made) arm. Much better position.

I like the speedo mount idea but after the run to Crown King in 2002 I'm not sure that's the setup for REAL rough roads. I lost several bolts holding the front end on during that trip. The hole dash moves A LOT under big vibration.

Still tweaking :thumb And again, thanks Arch... got the tracking turned off... there is just SO MUCH this unit does I'm going to start carrying the manual with me:nod

Gerg
  10. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer

Oddometer:
    Ok, first MAJOR Bitch... You can NOT leave the unit plugged into the power outlet on the bike. It won't turn totally off. If the until sees external power it wants to charge. BUT when it's charged it shows on screen as "Charging Completed" but is still drawing power to tell you that.

What's up with THAT :dunno
    Time to rig up a switch on the power outlet!

Gerg
  11. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    Gerg, the thing draws very little power even during use, so leaving it plugged in with that super dim charge complete logo displayed is no big deal. Might as well be worried about the clock on the R.I.D.

Arch
  12. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer

Oddometer:
    Ok, it draws .068 to .070 amps in the "Fully Charged" mode according to the Fluke 77. If I left it on for a week at a time, which isn't unusual, that's 11 amps. Probably not enough to kill the bike but enough to not want to leave it on all the time.

As for the clock, 1 AAA battery will keep an equilivent clock running for a year. So I'm not too worried about that :wink:

I've already flattened the New Oddesy by leaving the V1 on for a week. Don't want a repeat of that:dunno

Gerg
  13. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    Well, instead of installing a switch in your power outlet's cirquit, you could just wire the 276 into a key-switched power source. Given that it self charges it's own battery, there'd be no downside to that as it'll always be ready to run on its own power off the bike anyway.

:thumb
  14. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer

Oddometer:
    I've sent a request to Garmin to add this to the software... one more option. On/Charge/Off. That'd be the best solution. but you're right, key switched will work. If you want to leave it on it does give you 30 seconds to say so :evil

The more I play with the 276C, the more I like it!!!

So when do the 256MB cards hit the streeets?

Gerg
  15. Marc

Marc Just sayin...

Oddometer:
    I was told two (2) more weeks on Friday...

Marc
  16. Marc

Marc Just sayin...

Oddometer:
    Greg,

I'm in 100% agreement with you here. It's definatly a shortcoming that should be corrected in firmware.

Marc
  17. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer

Oddometer:
    Cool... That'll be in time for the National and Ouray :thumb

Greg
  18. edwyun

edwyun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great solution. My cheap way was just to stick a 1/8"~1/4" rubber pad in the back of the MvG mount before mounting the 276C.

How about this:
    [​IMG]

Or something like this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. R-dubb

R-dubb Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow....those guys are great!

Not only did they have the best price to be found anywhere.
    They included free fed-ex.
    Flawless web site operation, e-mail confirmation and tracking info.
    The package arrived a day and half ahead of the delivery promise.
    (ordered Monday afternoon; arrived Wednesday morning)
    A free tee-shirt included.

did I forget to mention......the 276 kicks ass. :D

:dj
    R-dubb
  20. scootertrash

scootertrash Mobile Homie

Oddometer:
    I have been on the sidelines reading up on GPS and the different models. I travel weekly for my job and would like to know how much prep has to be done to use this from city to city? Is it a quick, load the city/address from my laptop process? How many cities can it hold?

thanks, Bill