The Trans-Lab is Overdone. We want to Ride the Rock.

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Canuman, Oct 7, 2012.

1. dresda

dresda Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its well worth the ride out to Trout River, through the tablelands. And there is a great restaurant there, the Seaside Restaurant with awesome fish!

Frankly, the fish is good anywhere you go in Newfoundland but they do a particularly good job of it. I had some ocean perch on my first visit. Yum!
  2. Canuman

Canuman Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer:
    Miss you Steph. I want to get this Passap out of my living room have you and work on it. I'll give you a ton of yarn, if necessary, promise. A Passap's like owning a classic Triumph. Can't have too many spares.
  3. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    At the rate that I fall over...I shouldn't have a problem. :rofl
  4. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Both times I have been on the Rock, we spent the majority of the time on the west coast. It is by far the prettyest area imho. I can see endless trees etc where I live, so ocean views are what I like the most. That said I also love the small fishing villages etc in all the nooks and crannies around the coast. I am not looking for any city experiences either.....all small villages and towns lets say as we pass through so to speak. I have been to St. John's once and it was pissing down with rain, in the family cage and we still bailed and started towards home. I watched the Targa race on TV a few weeks back, loved it. Gets my old rally blood surging once again....used to do it back home in England. But this trip I would like to see some of the more off the beaten usual touristy type places if we can. I love a good plate of fish and chips......I try and only eat one meal a day if that in a resturant....or it gets too expensive.:freaky
  5. AtlasExp

AtlasExp beer me

Oddometer:
    I will sell my kidney to buy you a safari tank for DRZ!!! :evil
  6. Canuman

Oddometer:
    You know, Anton, I suspect you would. I think you should keep your kidney, although your offer is in the best tradition of being a droog. I have the Jackpiner57 racks on. I can carry my 1.75 gallon Rotopax on the top mount, and I can make up a mount for another gallon on the left side, if necessary. That will give me about 6 gallons useful, with a little reserve. That's good for about 250 miles or more. I can also add a Rotopax mount to the right side for another gallon, but I'd rather not have the fuel that close to the muffler.

However, I could really go psycho and add the Safari tank and all the Rotopax options. The bike would be as heavy as the KLR, and would be a rolling bomb. I'd have to smoke a cigar all the time. . .
  7. jackpiner57

jackpiner57 Moto-Racks.com Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    In the interest of saving Anton's kidney, or at least part of it, I can weld a mounting plate for the Rotopax into your left side ring. At worst you'll blow us all up. At best, you'll claim the smudgepot land speed record. I'm bringin' the whiskey and marshmallows!
  8. Canuman

Oddometer:
    STAND BACK PEOPLE! This rig's a rolling time bomb and it's gonna blow! Maybe I should strap on a fire extinguisher somewhere? Contemplate me through leather, gentlemen. I'm on the warpath and the price of coffins is on the rise. (With many thanks to Mr. Clemens.)

Should be a pretty sweet trip if she don't catch fire. I'm not that tough at all.

[​IMG]
  9. Canuman

Oddometer:
    Anyone have information on the road that goes up Lloyd's River from 480 to Buchan? This looks like an excellent route that connects to the T'Railway on the Gaff Topsails run.
  10. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    Red Indian lake rd north side. It is in better shape than the south side which takes you to Millertown. From the Burgeo road (480) to Lloyds river is the least maintained but from there to Buchans is good road. A little soft in the spring with the thaw but firms up well later in the summer.
  11. Canuman

Oddometer:
    Is it possible to ride the old Buchans/ASARCO railway bed from Buchans Junction to the T'railway? The rail bed shows up clearly on satellite images, but I can't find much information on it.

12. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    I have not ridden it so can not comment with knowledge. If i was looking for this info i would ask both Kojack and Newfie Rider as it is between the two geographicly.
  13. AtlasExp

AtlasExp beer me

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/U6e3rUi8SVw?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    :rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

I will start looking for 1200GS with concrete paniers! So we can have more fun and adventure!!! :-)
  14. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful, can't wait!!!! I may even bring my trailer for that easy trail!!!!

No problem!!!:huh
  15. Canuman

Oddometer:
    That trailer have pontoons? I'm thinking of bringing mine also. Mine floats.
  16. Canuman

Oddometer:
    That trailer have pontoons? I'm thinking of bringing mine also. Mine floats.
  17. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know it's water tight from the underneath.....and it weighs not much when empty....but loaded I bet it floats like a rock!!!:huh

I also won't be testing it out that far for sure.
  18. Canuman

Oddometer:
    I went out with a little spin locally with Jackpiner57 on my KLR yesterday. I've been divided between bringing the KLR for comfort or the DRZ for trail ability. Now, Tom is a much more experienced dirt rider than I am, but his DRZ sure made the rough stuff look easier. I think that 100+ pounds less weight would make things a whole lot more pleasant. Shame they had to put Newfoundland so far away, though. Getting there on the DRZ could be an exercise in endurance.
  19. Canuman

Oddometer:
    Went out with inmate Barbsironbutt on her Mighty XT225 Serow. Rode lots of gravel, had a good early dinner, and saw a moose. I'm officially in training, b'yse.
  20. jackpiner57

jackpiner57 Moto-Racks.com Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    It was great to get out and ride with you Tim! Yeah the DRZ is way easier to ride in the more rugged terrain, but I'm thinking you'd be better off on the KLR because there is probably very little if anything that it wouldn't handle on this trip. Isn't it mostly gravel roads?