ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2014, 02:58 PM   #1651
wxwax
Excited Member
 
wxwax's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 72,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codewheeney View Post
I was thinking more about varying settings as the car moved around the track on each lap, like Moto GP bikes do (recalling the time that Nicky Hayden's bike got lost in Estoril)

I'm guessing those rules you quoted would prohibit that sort of thing, and I wonder if the capability even exists in the spec ECU

Jim
Yeah, that's not allowed except for their engine management settings, which are basically fuel flow controls, from what I understand.

The FIA tries to be strict about anything which is "reactive" to the environment, from what I can see. So body parts which change shape at speed, any kind of reactive suspension, those are all banned.
__________________
Sid.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:12 PM   #1652
A. T. T-W
Can't be bothered.
 
A. T. T-W's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Centre of my universe
Oddometer: 4,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codewheeney View Post
I was thinking more about varying settings as the car moved around the track on each lap, like Moto GP bikes do (recalling the time that Nicky Hayden's bike got lost in Estoril)

I'm guessing those rules you quoted would prohibit that sort of thing, and I wonder if the capability even exists in the spec ECU

Jim
They used to be able to do so, then the FIA banned it. There was much muttering that some teams had hidden capacity to continue with the practice - hence the standardisation of the ECU (McLaren supplied).

If you think about about it a little further, there'd be no need for the complex steering wheels if the pit could change settings remotely.
__________________
Archibald Tarquin Throttle-Whistle Esq.
A. T. T-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:32 PM   #1653
Codewheeney
Hoopy Frood
 
Codewheeney's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Morgan Hill, CA
Oddometer: 2,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. T. T-W View Post
They used to be able to do so, then the FIA banned it. There was much muttering that some teams had hidden capacity to continue with the practice - hence the standardisation of the ECU (McLaren supplied).

If you think about about it a little further, there'd be no need for the complex steering wheels if the pit could change settings remotely.
Or if the car had sufficient computing power to do the calculations on its own.
__________________
Jim
Morgan Hill, CA - 2013 R1200GS (Cam head), 2004 R1150GS.

Plays in traffic.
Codewheeney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:58 AM   #1654
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Swellvue, WA
Oddometer: 10,288
I think there are two different things being confused here.... 1) active control of the car from the pit by the engineers rather than the driver, and 2) location-specific programming of the car where the tuning of the car is automatically adjusted based on its location on the track. You can have either without the other. And AFAIK, both are not allowed by regs.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:00 PM   #1655
homerj
742 Evergreen Terrace
 
homerj's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: 742 Evergreen Terrace
Oddometer: 4,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
I think there are two different things being confused here.... 1) active control of the car from the pit by the engineers rather than the driver, and 2) location-specific programming of the car where the tuning of the car is automatically adjusted based on its location on the track. You can have either without the other. And AFAIK, both are not allowed by regs.

- Mark
I've heard some of the pundits mention rumblings of automating some of the engine settings for safety reasons. The premise is that the drivers are too distracted with the constant adjustments in the car. The only driver I know of that crashed while making an adjustment was Pastor, so I'm not sure how valid the case is.

I think the drivers can also change ERS management settings in addition to fuel flow. IIRC that was how Nico was able to nurse his car to the end of the Canadian GP. He adjusted the ERS recovery off the rear axle. And again if IIRC at Hungary Lewis made a change to his ERS after he reported high heat on his seat back "similar to Canada".
__________________
09 570 Rallye Beast
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba"-Hunter S. Thompson
homerj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:07 PM   #1656
wxwax
Excited Member
 
wxwax's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 72,882
Belgium calling to the faraway towns
Now war is declared, and battle come down
Belgium calling to the underworld
Come out of the cupboard, you boys and girls
__________________
Sid.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:16 PM   #1657
too old
Keen supporter
 
too old's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Sandy waste
Oddometer: 2,337
Verstappen - F1 driving at 16 I'm not sure how that will go down, personally I feel it's a massive risk and a potential liability - but hey I'm too old and just look at Marquez
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:11 PM   #1658
wxwax
Excited Member
 
wxwax's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 72,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by too old View Post
Verstappen - F1 driving at 16 I'm not sure how that will go down, personally I feel it's a massive risk and a potential liability - but hey I'm too old and just look at Marquez
In carts just one season ago. They must really believe in him.

F1 is toying with bigger, 18-inch wheels. Ferrari's James Allison made an interesting observation:

Quote:
"The space that it will free up in the wheels will allow for a fair amount of research and engineering, and it is something that will have to be unfolded in a quite well planned way for the entire sport."
__________________
Sid.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:16 PM   #1659
Calkins
On Any Sunday...
 
Calkins's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Iowa Falls, Iowa
Oddometer: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
F1 is toying with bigger, 18-inch wheels. Ferrari's James Allison made an interesting observation:
I thought that the reason for sticking with 13" wheels, was to limit braking (to a point)?
__________________
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa USA
1973 Yamaha RT3 - BECOMING A FLAT TRACKER!
1982 Yamaha XT250 - FOR SALE
2007 Triumph Bonneville America - 865
Calkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:40 PM   #1660
tinhead
Gnarly Adventurer
 
tinhead's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Riot Corner, CT
Oddometer: 192
The drivers won't be banging the curbs the way they do now if the 18 inch wheels become part of the formula.
tinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:32 AM   #1661
'Flagger
..this space for rent..
 
'Flagger's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Columbus, OH
Oddometer: 2,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinhead View Post
The drivers won't be banging the curbs the way they do now if the 18 inch wheels become part of the formula.
curb hopping seems to be endemic in all forms of the sport. Regardless of wheel size
__________________
- B

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.

'Flagger screwed with this post Today at 06:10 AM
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:28 AM   #1662
geg OP
Canadian living in exile
 
geg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: 41.655984,-71.302657
Oddometer: 6,065
Caterham's only confirmed Andre Lotterer to drive at Spa, Kamui Kobayashi 'still remains part of the team'. Interesting. #F1
__________________
Greg
Europe 2013 Europe 2012 Europe 2011 England 2010 Gaspe PQ 2008 Nova Scotia 2007

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
geg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:18 AM   #1663
luxlogs
Gnarly Adventurer
 
luxlogs's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Joliet IL
Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinhead View Post
The drivers won't be banging the curbs the way they do now if the 18 inch wheels become part of the formula.
Knock off there Spinners if they do that
__________________
ABC # 11808
74 911S
87 TW200
82 R65LS
92 R100GS
luxlogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014