Hacking a 2010 1200 Super Tenere

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by Brendan J, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Brendan J

Brendan J Pfft

Oddometer:
    G'day all I am picking up a new Yamaha Super Tenere in the next week or two and I am seriously thinking of throwing a chair on it. I was wondering from our European friends on here if they have seen one done yet ? I believe this may be a first here in Oztralia if I do if not the world. Anyone got some photos to share ?
  2. TouringDave

TouringDave Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer:
    Hi Brendan, sounds like a great plan. What area are you from?
  3. camaroz1985

camaroz1985 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That would be something to see. Keep us posted if you find anything, or when you do your own.
  4. Brendan J

Brendan J Pfft

Oddometer:
    G'day Dave I'm in Reservoir - Melb. I hope to have it at the beer night next month if you wanna have a look at the beast.
  5. TouringDave

Oddometer:
    Great. I'll bring my V Strom outfit so you can see the nightmare that is sub frames for bikes with no frames. :eek1
  6. 3legs

3legs Real men ride sidecars Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd love to put a chair on a new Tenere. I checked one out recently and it would be a great bike to put one on but I did see some issues. The frame is way too light for a chair. Ok you can put a sub frame on it but the rear end would break fairly quickly plus you would have to get rid of that bloody great awful exhaust, having said that if one came up as a wreck I wouldn't hesitate to put a chair on it. One can always get around those issues.

If you decide to do it make sure you take plenty of photo's and post them here.

Just my 2 cents worth.

3legs
  7. Brendan J

Brendan J Pfft

Oddometer:
    Don't worry guys I will hopefully putting up plenty of photos when I start so everybody can see. I will probably be getting Phil Duffy to be do most of the work as he has come highly recommend to me by a few people.
    I will have to agree 3legs that there is not much in the way of mounting points and the subframe is a bit of a worry and the big lardy muffler will be replaced in due time first.
  8. ClearwaterBMW

ClearwaterBMW The Examiner Supporter

Oddometer:
    this is going to be awesome
    thanks for the thread
  9. TouringDave

Oddometer:

Ooooh, I smell a new project in the wings Alex :evil
  10. NortwestRider

NortwestRider TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer:
    AW,the nightmare that is a SUBFRAME..Starting that nightmare this weekend !!.Good luck with the YAMMI,should be cool.( Even if it's NOT a Vstrom..:D)..
  11. Brendan J

Brendan J Pfft

Oddometer:
    Good luck with yours I hope you don't have too many troubles.
  12. brstar

brstar Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does yours have a centre stand Norwest?
    I left mine on but it would be a lot simpler without. :eek1 Will be watching.

Cheers Bruce
  13. Winterbiker

Winterbiker Sidecarist

Oddometer:
    I think till today no single of the big Tenere has been modified in Germany. I guess, the Europeans prefer the BMW GS-models, because most dealers have leading links, subframes and 15"-wheels in stock and it is cheaper to built a GS than the Yamaha.
    But I´m really interested in your idea.

Winterbiker
  14. TouringDave

Oddometer:

:lol3 :thumb
  15. IsAnOzzie

IsAnOzzie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    if one came up as a wreck I wouldn't hesitate to put a chair on it. One can always get around those issues.

At Silverwater wreckers they have a 1600 triumph. sent my head spinning with ideas.....trouble is ideas cost money...

Back to the Ural.

Wait a Ural with a 1600 parrallel twin hmmmmmmmmmmm
    prolly turn the final drive into a pretzil.
  16. AL-58

AL-58 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, there is a wreck out there somewhere(NSW). Mine got total lossed by the ins co in January. I'd expect it's gone through Pickles auctions by now.

Statutory write-off though.

Al

17. Brendan J

Brendan J Pfft

Oddometer:
    Well I took posession of the Super Ten today its super smooth compared to what I have been riding and could be a licence loser to boot :cry so I will have a keep a steady right hand. At a first good look at it, it looks like its gunna be a bit of a nightmare to make a subframe, so some professional help is going to be needed.
  18. Brendan J

Brendan J Pfft

Oddometer:
    Well sorry for the slow updates on here. I have been searching for a good donor chair for the project. Well I think I may have found something at a good price ? A customer of mine from the shop where I work has a complete Changy chair for sale. Its quite an attractive price but I'm a bit concerned that the front lower mount may not be suitable and the tub is leaf spring suspended. It looks like may have some sort of rubber in torsion suspension for the chassis?
    My concern is that I what to use this for offroad use will it be suitable??
    The price I can get it for makes it a bargin but I don't want to be buying something that wont meet my needs.
    I can get this whole setup for $500 AUD

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. Sparrowhawkdesign

Sparrowhawkdesign Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Actually Vstrom subframes are easy. We do a lot of them. One thing people don't think of when they install a sidecar is that they have a better option than a center stand. Get yourself a small scissor jack from the scrapper. That will allow you to lift any of the three wheels and actually high enough to make tire changing easy. It can also be used in some circumstances to help free your bike when you get it stuck but that's another story. :D
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  20. Brendan J

Brendan J Pfft

Oddometer:

???? :huh