First trials event (PITS). What should I know?

Discussion in 'Trials' started by sweenrace, Aug 10, 2013.

1. sweenrace

sweenrace Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm heading to my first (PITS) trials event next weekend with my new (to me) 09 Gasgas. Last year I spectated at an event so I have a vague idea of how things work but I'm a complete rookie to bikes and trials in general. I've been putt-putting around my yard so I'm at least confident I can get to the first section!

I would love some guidance on the things i should bring, what I can expect to do to be allowed to compete (can i get the necessary memberships there?), how long do the events take (it starts at noon), what do i do at the end of the event to make sure my score is counted?

All feedback is welcome!

Best
    Ian
  2. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would call a PITS club member. Looks like AMA, Pits membership and spark arrestor. Mostly people are helpful to a new rider. Bring plenty of water and a way to carry some on the loop.
    Remember you are there to have fun. Usually first time riders have trouble with a ribboned section vs. just practice. Don`t get too excited, people are hard on themselves at some thing that appears easy.
    Good Luck!
  3. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. sweenrace

sweenrace Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks @lineaway. I've been studying the flyer and am getting more excited by the day!

Any PITS members reading this? Any words of advice?
  5. Undertheoaks

Undertheoaks Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the club !:clap I too am a new member have been to four events now and loved them all. The group is a very nice bunch and will help you out in whatever needs you have. This next event is at Boreal Ski Ranch so Im sure a spark arrestor is needed as all other events I've been to required them to. Looks like the event you are riding is Sat as noon time is the start time there, Sun we start at 9am. I've yet to ride the Sat events as I usually have time to only ride one day on the weekends. I recommend riding with water as it can get hot with all the walking you do on the first lap checking out the sections. You will do eight sections on Sat three times repeating the same loop, on Sun we do ten sections three times. You will re-gas after each loop grabbing a bite to eat if you care to and turning in your score card each loop and receiving a new one for the next loop. I recomend riding the begging class to get a feel for it and not make the same mistake I did and inter the intermediate class the first time:eek1 way to hard. I race B enduro and Hare scrambles so thought I knew what I was doing. I currently participate in the Intermediate/sportsman class and fit right in. Hope to see you up there name is Sid and ride a 05 Gasgas 280 pro.
  6. thegraydog

thegraydog 2 wheels X 6 ways

Oddometer:
    If you are an athlete you know to refuel yourself consistently. A spate of straight fives is a sign you're going wobbly. It sneaks up on you.
    Have a ball, keep it light!
  7. sweenrace

sweenrace Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys, great advice. I hadn't realised I'd be riding so many sections. Better get a good night sleep before! Will definitely be riding the 4 line.

What about gear? Whats the minimum? Boots, helmet? Gloves? Do jeans and a tshirt work?

Does anyone know can I sign up for the AMA membership at the event or do I need to do it ahead of time?

If I'm riding the 4 line I assume I'll be doing that with any other 4 line riders?

Thanks!
  8. Undertheoaks

Undertheoaks Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes you can sign up for both AMA and PITS membership at the event. Plus being a PITS member you have access to the fabulous club property in the Sierras. Gear, you will need a DOT helmet, boots and thats about it, pants are your choice either levi's or dirtbike pants will work, a lot of guys ride in T-shirts, again your choice. You will ride with the 4 line people and have a blast practice your balance and wheel hopping at home it will all come into play at the event. Cheers !
  9. Rockcat

Rockcat LDA

Oddometer:
    I've only ridden a few AHRMA trials events, so I'm no expert. For me having an open face helmet, real trials boots, eye protection, gloves, and a long sleeve jersey make the trial much more fun. I was nervous before my first event, even though I had been riding/racing for over 40 years. Just relax and have a good time. Don't worry about how you are doing from section to section, just try to improve on each loop.
  10. DrKayak

DrKayak Retro Rider

Oddometer:
    I would suggest the #3 line. The 4 line is not that fun. At least take a look at a close section before you sign up and see what you think of the #3 line. I started on the 2 line last season. I got a couple clean/zero on the first event. Not that hard... the 1 line is hard.

I would sign up for AMA before the event online. Try to have your AMA # before the event. You can join PITS at the event.

Speak up at the riders meeting that you are new and they will put you with another rider to help you get around.

A pair of trials boots is the most important gear. You can mess yourself up good slipping off the pegs in tennis shoes. And you can't do trials in motocross boots. Light hiking boots would be better than MX boots. Also light gloves and an open helmet you can see good out of.. I wear a Camelback too.

Endurance riding the loop and navigating to each section was my biggest challenge the first year. I had some dirt bike experience and riding the loop on a trials bike still kicked my butt the first few events. Get there at 9:00 and get some practice and scout were the loop goes.

Good luck.. I plan the be there. :eek1
  11. ericm

ericm Long timer

Oddometer:
    At my first event I fell off on the loop before the first section. I was doing so bad that by the third loop some of the checkers were giving me riding pointers. This was the novice line at a sunday event and at the riders meeting the trials master said that the novice line was more difficult than usual. Even though I was not doing well I enjoyed it..... I rode for seven or eight years (and got a bit better at riding) before cycling took over.

I did my first few events in MX boots. Mine were well broken in and were not that much more difficult to walk in than new trials boots. I'd use them over hiking boots due to the ankle protection. It's easy to twist an ankle. You need to have shin/knee guards. You are going to fall on your knees at some point. Gloves are a must as well. I liked the Mechanix gloves as they have good feel.

Because you walk every section extensively, the first loop will take a lot of time. Bring plenty of water and something to eat. I used a small Camelback which also carried my tools. On the subsequent loops you can take a quick look at each section to see if anything has changed and to refresh your mind on what you need to do.

For each section, plan out in your head where you want to put the tires (front and rear have different paths in turns), apply power, etc. Or at least plan where you want to go. If you start the section without knowing where you're going you are likely to lose points.

Watch where everyone else parks their bikes. Sometimes the other lines have a different entry or exit to the section and you don't want to put your bike in the way.

At some events the loop can be almost as hard as the novice or saturday 3 line sections. At others it's easy.

Be nice to the checkers, even if you think they're wrong. They're riders or wives/girfriends/kids of riders. I've seen (a very few) people get mad at a checker. If you ride with the club you'll be seeing the same people a lot, so you want to be on good terms with everyone.

I liked to start early and watch other riders riding my line before I rode. That way I could see if I understood the line and where the difficult spots are. The problem with that is that you tend to do what everyone else did. Usually that is best but sometimes there is a better way.

The whole event will take many hours. You need to pace yourself so you don't get tired. If you are not in shape or waste energy early on you will pay for it later in the event.

Good luck and have fun.
  12. sweenrace

sweenrace Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Guys,

This is really great and very helpful. Lots of nuggets of advice I would never have thought of. Keep it coming!

P.S. getting very excited now!
  13. StuInFH

StuInFH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Ian,

I met you and your bro (I think) when you attended last year, I was checking due to shoulder surgery (not bike related). Glad to hear you are making it up.

Some good tips above, I 2nd starting with a bit harder line than the 4, like the 3 or even the 2 if you have an offroad background and you have been practicing a lot. I believe during the first few sections of the first loop they let you go back and switch your class up or down anyway. (and btw, you won't be needing to do any hopping until maybe the 1 line, so don't fret on that!)

To conserve energy, I rec NOT riding the loop beforehand. At the Riders' Meeting they will ask if any first timers and someone will volunteer to show you around, so you simply follow them. You'll learn to look for the turn markers and lately there has even been an overall map/layout. One of the flyers for this event shows where the sections are on Saturday, simple CC loop. When you are getting your card punched, you can thank the checker and ask which way to the next section, they'll be happy to point it out.

I know you are a lot younger than most of us, but don't underestimate the energy you will burn on the loop between sections, walking uphill and downhill on the sections, maybe some thru nervousness, and the section riding itself. It sure gets to me!

Most importantly of all; just keep reminding yourself it is for fun and don't get too wrapped up in the scoring/placing and all that.

Stu
  14. sweenrace

sweenrace Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes Stu, I remember you! We learned a lot hanging out with you!

Given that I have very little bike experience (on or offroad!) do folks still think the 3 line would be good for me.

The other question I have is so basic it's almost embarrassing! I remember Stu explaining to me the way to ride around the markers in the section. What I don't recall is which color to ride to the right of and which was to the left!
  15. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most clubs are red on the right, blue to the left. Most scorers and riders will be very helpful . Just ask.
  16. StuInFH

StuInFH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. africanjon

africanjon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great info guys, if I can sort a few things out hopefully i will also be entering my first trials on Saturday:D. Quick question do the bikes need green/red stickers, i bought my bike from an out of state owner and am working out the sticker with DMV so not registered as yet?
    thank in advance.
  18. DrKayak

DrKayak Retro Rider

Oddometer:
    You should not need a OHV sticker for the event this weekend. It is on private Auburn Ski Club property as I understand it. No sticker for sure on the events at the PITS property. Spark arestor will be checked.. Don't need no fires...

The 4 line goes right down the center on some sections with very little to no truns, a few small rocks and sticks to ride over.. not much chalange.

The main deal in competing for me is to try stuff a little over your head that you would not do on your own. Guys with 10x the experence I have set the sections and know what will test you.. Even the 2 line is pretty safe, no big log jumps, mostly just how good you are at tight turns on loose dirt and pine needles.

Personaly, I would keep practicing at home untill I could start on the 3 line before I did my first event. But I'm cheep on spending $$ for the gas and entry fees.
  19. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    The spark arrestor is required as it should be to keep the local officials and land owner happy. You are 1000 times more likely to start a fire with the vehicle you drove there than a two stroke engine. If anyone is worried about fires, it would probably be caused by a cigarette more than anything else.
  20. sweenrace

sweenrace Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow, what a blast I had! Like everyone suggested, I got lots of help from folks as well as the great guidance I got here.

I ended up running the 4 line. Ultimately it was too easy but it allowed me to get my confidence which is just what I needed. The loop wasn't too bad and actually a bit of fun.

I also learned 30 minutes is enough time to unload, tech your bike, register, fuel up and buy a pair of boots (thanks lewisport!) and still make it to riders meeting!

Can't believe it's 3 weeks till the next event. Anyone know somewhere in the sf bay area to play between now and then :)