GSAA or Not?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by insureguy, Oct 31, 2009.

1. insureguy

insureguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK, I've never owned a GS, but for some yet undetermined reason I really want a GSAdvABS. I do some touring (some times 2 up, others not), but I've always ridden a Honda Goldwing (don't own one at the moment). I have a Harley, it was my dad's, that I ride around the neighborhood. I want to buy another touring bike, and after 4 Goldwings I might be ready to make the move to the GSAA. My questions for all of you are:
    1) Is there any reason NOT to buy the GSAA if I do mostly highway/hard surface riding?
    2) If I do hard surface riding what is the need for all that percieved dual purpose design? Is it that I really don't NEED it? I just WANT it, and the appeal all just in my head? (It's OK if it is!)
    3) The dealer tells me the '10s will have a different motor...should I wait?
    Thanks!
  2. Chuck Roll

Chuck Roll Allergic to Organic

Oddometer:
    GS ADV WITH ABS ?
  3. HelmetHead Cycle

HelmetHead Cycle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    GS Adventure, Adventure?
  4. insureguy

insureguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, GS Adventure w/ABS
  5. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    I see the GSA as a touring bike you can do everything with.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
    It sounds like the new motor is going to have overhead cam and shimmed valves. It will be more difficult to service but the service interval will likely be longer.
  6. BCC

BCC I know better

Oddometer:
    Well, first off, I think every itch should be scratched and it sounds like you're itching for an Adventure, so hell yes.

ABS is a great option, definitely worth getting, imo.

I'm mister latest and greatest, so if it's a matter of waiting a month or so, I'd hold out for the new motor.

I own an '09 GSAA. I'm a happy camper.

I've heard some of the little people have an issue with it's height, but I've also seen shorties ride it no problem.

Take a demo ride. And good luck!
  7. insureguy

insureguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mudcat. Does that make the engine better or worse or just different? Is it worth waiting for? Has this BMW engine been used before or would it be a first year trail. That always makes me nervous.
  8. DPS77

DPS77 in no hurry whatsoever!!

Oddometer:
    Mate, I agonised over the same sort of problem, and then someone on this forum said how as the national average went he had like 20 more turns of the sun and that was it. He raises a very good point. I went out and bought one. It was delivered last week and i have not stopped smiling since then.

To put it into perspective- I have to ride about 2 km past my house,180deg around a huge roundabout and back 2 km in the direction i came to get to the slipway leading to my suburb. It is in a new area and on the side of a hill, so there is still bushland and tracks around the place. So the other day I was sitting at the lights and i thought 'Bugger it':evil , and speared off the road into the bush and over the hill through stuff that i thought such a capable road bike would never be able to go through, and popped out across the road to my place! -saves me 4km and is more fun than you can imagine. I have ridden mostly road for the last 10 years or so, but I'll be taking that short cut now! You can ride it like a dirtbike or try get your knee down (if you really want!!), or just bimble along looking about..... it is the most versatile bike ever!!!:clap You might be surprised at what doors it opens for you. If you are all about touring, you might see a dirt road that looks a bit, um... more challenging than you would like to throw at a goldwing, and also go 'bugger it' and see what's down there.

Just do it, or you will always see them go by and wish you had one, after all, its all an adventure isn't it?:wink:
  9. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    I am not sure. I think it is safe to say, the new engine will have more power.
    If they are making a change, I like to see BMW change the clutch.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
    The motor on my 05 runs great, gets good gas mileage and is dead easy to service. The new motor does not excite me.
    <o:p> </o:p>
    But with a change coming, it should be easy to get a current GSA out the door for MSRP. I would not pay more then that.
    <o:p> </o:p>
    BTW, GSA on this board generally means GS Adventurer. If you want a GS without abs you have to special order it.
  10. insureguy

insureguy Adventurer

Oddometer:

That's the kicker. The dealer is selling the '09s for several thousand dollars below MSRP. Makes me wonder if any new engine could be worth spending that much more......
  11. ANutt

ANutt Old Timer

Oddometer:
    I had 2 GL1800A's and a Valkyrie Interstate before my 1150GS. All I can say is I wish I had tried the GS earlier. Nothing against the 'wings, which are the best damned heavyweight tourers in the world, especially on windy roads.
    But the GS is just plain FUN! Only regret I have is that I didn't use the kitchen pass on a full-on 08 or 09 GSA!.
    Much taller than the wings; also easier to ride, IMHO. Maybe it's my dirt-bike past, but I felt much more at home on the GS much sooner. I am also more comfortable on the GS, as there are more positions to move around to than on the wing. And my feet are warmer thanks to that big radiant heat thingie down under the engine...
    There'll still be a wing in the garage someday, especially if the better half starts riding with me again.
    In the meantime, the GS is a Hoot!
  12. insureguy

insureguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you all! Mudnut, speaking of the better-half, how is the bike two-up...maybe even compared to the GL1800, as you've ridden both? My"better-half" is very used to that big high-backed rear seat on the GL1800. That's part of what keeps her riding with me, sometimes thousands of miles. Will this be a much poorer experience for her?
  13. RudyBoy

RudyBoy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The GSA OEM pillion seat is OK, but will be a real step backwards for your wife. You might consider right away a Sargent seat (or other aftermarket), at least for the pillion position. The OEM pillion seat is flat, and slopes forward. The Sargent appears to be level, with a bit of a scoop for the rider's bottom. I may order one next year, although my wife thinks the OEM is OK (not having sat on a a touring bike like a GW).
  14. ANutt

ANutt Old Timer

Oddometer:
    She prefers not to even get on the GS until I get a back rest, or preferably a top case. I, on the other hand, am trying to figure out how to upgrade to a newer 12GS before spending any more farkle money.
    Major difference between the two bikes is that we're not as separated as on the GL1800, and I doubt seriously that she'll ever fall asleep on the GS like she used to do on the GL. No headset plug-ins (yet), no separate volume control, no adjustable arm rest (or arm rest at all).
    If she appreciates the fun-ner aspects of riding twisties and different road surfaces, it might be somewhat of a trade-off.
    But when I bought the GL's, I did so because they are the most comforable 2-up bike around. Anything else is probably going to be a disappointment to your passenger.
  15. BigDaveSr

BigDaveSr It’s All Good

Oddometer:
    Damn, I wish I could find that dealer! In Oregon they still want MSRP and freight and assembly. I have had at least ten new bikes and never, NEVER, have paid for freight and assembly!

Still working on a new 2009 GSA, hopefully soon!
  16. GSALite

GSALite Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My wife is 5'6'', 150 lbs and she falls asleep on both the CLC and GS. I added the topcase with backrest pads for her. I also custom-upgraded the passenger footpegs so she can get on the bike easier and move her feet around more while we are riding. We also have a Corbin seat. She actually likes the GS more than the CLC at times. She has knee cramps and can stretch out more. Important thing is to put her on the bike and LISTEN to what she says about it, (I mean, what she THINKS she is saying). The bike can easily be customized, but the right way for the two of you is important.

[​IMG]
  17. Capt Dan

Capt Dan Just Livin' a Dream

Oddometer:
    I rode big Harleys for most of my life, I'm 50 now. In 2008 I purchased a BMW R1200RT. I thought this would be THE bike. I put 16,000 on the bike by the first year. Then I started seeing gravel and dirt roads heading off the main roads and I knew I wanted to go there but felt the RT was not set up for the task. I am also a bare bones, simple design kind of guy, and even though I loved the RT, it just felt a little to sofisticated and futuristic for my liking.
    I then test drove a GS and a GSA in August of 09. The bike was simply FUN to drive. I felt good sitting up high looking over traffic. The handling was even better than my RT both in town and belive it or not in the twisties at 45-60 mph.
    I purchased the GSA w/ abs, which I feel the ABS is important, and I loved the look of the crash bars and big bags. I also had to have RED.
    I do my own service with the help of Jim Von Badens DVD, but I always have the 600 mile service done by BMW.
    I have just made my first payment and already have 3700 miles on the bike. The bike is just plain FUN to ride and within reason and if you use it for what its designed for, and not as a motocross bike but a good gravel and hard dirt road bike you should have the same enjoyment I have been having.
    Good Luck with your decision.
  18. GSTed

GSTed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I first bought an 07 GS back in Jan. 2007. Loved the bike but kept thinking I sure love that GSA, bigger tank, all the cool bars, etc.! Had to have one. I bought an 09 GSA in Dec. 2008. Great bike, found it a bit more of a beast to move around. I'm 6'1" and found it a reach when I put my Russell on. Nice having lots of gas, but never really needed it living and riding in the good old USA. :D Well while my GSA was parked a big trick ran over it and killed it!:cry

So after two weeks of dealing with the two local BMW dealers, I bought a new 09 GS. Got a great deal. ($3000 off MSRP gave me the push now rather than wait for a possible new 2010 model). I could of had an 09 GSA for only about $1000 over what I paid for the GS, but after having both I think the GS suits me better. I'm glad I bought the GSA (if only for a little while) otherwise I'm sure I would have always thought I missed something. Good luck with your choice.