Seats for the GSW

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by motocrotts, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Mike M

Mike M Long-timer... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Russell looks comfy and tons of guys swear by them. I can't get past the appearance----but that's just me! :lol3
  2. JCMagoo

JCMagoo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The price is a shocker too, but people swear by them. Sometimes a great product is simply worth the price,

Me? I bought the Seat Concepts cover and foam kit, had it installed at a friend's upholstery shop, and I couldn't be happier.

[​IMG]
  3. OzOldrider

OzOldrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have Seat Concepts better than stock but not a day long seat especially for my passenger. Gripper fabric is great, will probably use the front for big off road days.
  4. runnerhiker

runnerhiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just bought a new Corbin seat for my '14 GSW and I don't like it. It just doesn't fit me. It is the standard seat with standard cover, I paid $550 for it two weeks ago and I am ready to sell it for $200 + shipping. Corbin will not take returns, period. Send me a private message if you are interested.

Edit: SOLD to a current member of this forum, with whom I was PM'ing before svtride and SS Twin posted below.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. svtride

svtride Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check your inboxÂ…PM sent
  6. SS Twin

SS Twin GS 4 ADV

Oddometer:
    Next in line. PM sent.
  7. Mike M

Mike M Long-timer... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bought the BMW accessory Rallye Seat for my GSAW because I liked that it was a solo seat---and I don't ride 2-up. It was too narrow, didn't have enough support and like most stock seats, the foam was soft and spongy.

So I sent it to Renazco to get rebuilt and just got it back yesterday. They're best known for rebuilding dual sport seats and I was told they don't typically rework 2 piece GS seats but were willing to build my one-piece Rallye seat.

I went with a matte vinyl top so it wasn't too slippery (but could still move around) and carbon fiber vinyl sides. Renazco seats are known for their custom suede covers but I decided not to go that way. It took a long time (3 months) but since I had my stock seat, the time to get it built was OK. Very happy with how it looks but will see how it is after a few hundred miles. Seat foam feels a little firmer than before but not hard---I'll give a report on it this weekend.

Here's some pics.

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. cnj3

cnj3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Purchased a Seat Concept at MOA rally for water boxer. Offered a model a little taller than stock, maybe a GSA style. Just finishing 9500 mile trip. Very satisfied. Had Sargent on previous hexhead
  9. nrp

nrp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For me it's RDL. Have them o a GTL and the comfort level is incredible. I didn't like the looks.
    But after using them, I really didn't care. They can look whatever they want as long as they keep providing that comfort level. It is really amazing.
    Mine has the suspension system.
  10. TowPro

TowPro Single Track Geezer

Oddometer:
    What is an "RDL"?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
  11. W-Gator

W-Gator Adventurer

Oddometer:
  12. Travman

Travman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Reading through this thread it looked like a couple of people tried the Touratech Sport seat last year so I was looking for some long-term viewpoints. This is their long single seat that covers both front and rear. The high version is basically flat front to rear.

I was in Seattle this past week and sat on one in their store. The seat was very firm but I liked the ability of moving fore and aft with ease. Before I pull the trigger on this just want to see if anyone else has tried the seat and stuck with it over a Sargent or custom.

Here's a link to the seat in question.

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/...rt-Seats-BMW-R1200GS-ADV-2013-on-Water-Cooled
  13. Smoke Eater 3

Smoke Eater 3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got my Sargent for my '14. Its very nice and super comfortable. I only got to put a couple hours on it today but I'm pretty happy with it. It got it without the welt. To me that's a good choice. Even in the high position I can flat foot my boots and not feel the edges of the seat. :super I am happy.
  14. AdvStrider

AdvStrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have that seat. It's comfortable enough for day trips, and looks great, but for longer trips away on the bike, I'll put the stock seats back on, as they are more comfortable.
  15. 60HzShuffle

60HzShuffle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For what it's worth, I was not very happy with my Russell experience this time. This was my 3rd seat from them that I got for my '14 GSA before my trip to Colorado. I kept asking for them to expedite it and sent my seat in way early, which they said there was no way. I then had to call, left a message and magically my seat was ready for shipping back to me. Of course by that point I had to do 3 day delivery, so they sent UPS 3 day and charged me $142. Then I get the seat the day before my trip and it is not right. No one ever called me to discuss the build this time either. The seat slopes me toward the tank and the contour from the rear of the seat forward is to abrupt, which results in my inner thigh resting on the seat instead of going out far enough to support my thigh as it did on my other builds. Yes, I will contact them but that means going without a seat for a long time again and me eating at least another $100 in shipping.
  16. Nesbocaj

Nesbocaj The NEW Soylent Green Deal???

Oddometer:
    For me~~

Stock is good for about 2 hours
    Sargent will get me 3-4 hours, with standing once or twice. I have it on the '14 and had one on a Tuono.
    I had RDLs on a '04 GS and a '08 RT, both were all day comfort. Both increased the reach to the ground.
  17. mountainguy

mountainguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rode both the stock and Sargent each for about 8 days of 10 hours per day. After the first day, both seats were very painful, especially in the afternoons. I had an RDL on a K1600. I could ride it endlessly with no pain. The problem is it raised the seat height by about 1.5" which was a major problem for me on the K1600.
  18. OzOldrider

OzOldrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Could you post some photos, I have seats due to be done at the end of the month, Kim at Russell said they had a sport version available for the GS, did you get that version?

Thanks
  19. 60HzShuffle

60HzShuffle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kim never mentioned a "sport" version or any option other than telling me to send my pictures in. I had a friend ride my bike today and they noticed it too. Only way to make it better is to have the seat slanted, high in front and low in back.
  20. Nesbocaj

Nesbocaj The NEW Soylent Green Deal???

Oddometer:

Yes, me too.
    We search for the holy grail of seats.