Alternative to Badlands Pro . . . ?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Cactus Dave, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Cactus Dave

Cactus Dave Born to Argue

Oddometer:
    Ok, so I see on the Klim website that they are offering the Badlands Pro jacket for $200 off . . . . I'm interested and really want to buy this bad ass jacket, if I can . . . .

I call Klim and discover that the price on the website, $699.99, is $200 off the regular price of $899.99.

Really? Is the Klim truly worth 2 - 3x what other similar jackets sell for? No doubt it is quality stuff, but the premium seems outrageous.

So, my question to the collective asylum is what have y'all found to be decent, eminently serviceable and useable alternatives? There is the Kathmandu,, the Kilimanjaro, the Rev'it Sand 2 . . . .

I want (1) waterproof; (2) real impact protection; (3) good ventilation; (4) quality construction such that it does not unravel or fall apart sua sponte; realistic, meaningful features (pockets, adjustability, etc). There is obviously a balance to be struck. But an excessive premium price, with a very real risk of fit issues leads me to seek the collective wisdom of the Asylum. I recognize this is a bit akin to a "oil" thread, but succinct, meaningful recommendations are appreciated.

Let the flaming begin . . . .

Cheers,

Dave
  2. Kickstand Down

Kickstand Down Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The jackets you listed aren't comparable. The Badlands Pro, along with Poseidon GTX, Rukka Cosmic, etc., use Gore-Tex Pro, which is waterproof on the outside. All of the $500 range jackets have a waterproof liner.

The difference is that a Gore-Tex Pro jacket will stay completely dry on the outside, while anything less will get wet on the outside (and heavy) but keep you dry with a liner. There's nothing wrong with a waterproof liner, it's certainly cheaper, but comparing the around $500 dollar jackets with the $700-$1000 dollar Gore-Tex Pro is apples to oranges.

To your "which of the $500 range jackets are the best", a lot of people like the latitude, though it seems to be somewhat lacking in the ventilation department, depending on your heat tolerance and how warm it gets where you are.
  3. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    No worries on the current Latitude jacket. Klim has added vents to the chest pockets which actually make it vent better than the Badlands since it has more vents now.
  4. '05Train

'05Train Mind is not for rent

Oddometer:
    Yup. Unless you're riding only on the gnarliest of single-tracks, the Latitude Misano is your jacket.
  5. XtreemLEE

XtreemLEE Working Class Zero

Oddometer:
    Piney McPineface’s Remedial Resort (Google Maps)
    I've had great result with First Gear products, gore tex is overkill and I've ridden in all day rains...
  6. James Adams

James Adams wut

Oddometer:
    I'm sure you read all of the other "is Klim worth it?" threads already :lol3

You get what you pay for. I had a Sand 2 suit that I sold because the Badlands is twice as good for me.

If you don't have a local place where you can try something on, buy from RevZilla or another vendor that will make it easy to exchange if you need to try a different size. The fact that you may not be able to try something on isn't really a valid excuse for anyone in the US anymore. :deal
  7. Simonhantler

Simonhantler waiheke simon

Oddometer:
    ive got rukka cosmic and klim BP. rukka better quality by a fair bit. just make sure you get the right rukka for the climate. cosmic great for nz as it doesnt get to hot, klim BP better in hot wetaher but not as well made all round.
  8. Lc8grrr

Lc8grrr Vtwin madness

Oddometer:
    This is great until you tear the outer Gore-tex layer and the jacket has a hole in it.. the abrasion resistent outer should be there to protect the Gore-tex inner. Got a tear from a fall, still dry. They are probably a great jacket but I know I will damage it eventually.
  9. GSDonovan

GSDonovan There and back again

Oddometer:
    Not true....the Klim Overland has an outer Goretex shell same as their other jackets and its only $430 retail. :deal
  10. Kickstand Down

Kickstand Down Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's two layer Gore-Tex, not three.
  11. GSDonovan

Oddometer:
    The tag on the jacket describes 3 layers..."outer fabric", "Gore-Tex membrane" and "Inner lining"....are these not the layers you're referring to?
  12. Navy Chief

Navy Chief Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does anybody know if the Latitude 840 has the added chest vents? I can't find a reference to them on the Revzilla website for either of the Latitude jackets..

Thanks!
  13. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bummer on the horizontal rear vent that a camelbak blocks though:cry
  14. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    3 layer (or, 2) is the outer fabric itself that is laminated together. It doesn't count the mesh liner.
  15. Cactus Dave

Cactus Dave Born to Argue

Oddometer:
    Great comments, suggestions and responses. Thank you.

I have read the other "is-Klim-worth-it" threads, altho' I must admit some became interminably long and my attention to detail waned.

Lots to consider and balance. The Latitude option is very real. And sizing is a real concern as I rarely conform to manufacturer's concepts of "standard" folk vis-à-vis sizing.

Which ever way I go, I'll follow up and post some comments.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Dave
  16. keiji

keiji Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is a really key point for any riding where you might fall off (ie dual sporting). While you might get away with it, you re really rolling the dice when you crash. I've ruined armacor goretex that looked great on the outside, but leaked like a seive after crashing.

If you're interested, I can show you how to flip the Badlands jacket inside out to seal any patches you need to make.
  17. James Adams

James Adams wut

Oddometer:
    :nod

FWIW, the Latitude is also 2-layer GoreTex (aka GoreTex Performance Shell). I believe that the only Klim jackets that use 3-layer GoreTex (aka GoreTex Pro) are the Badlands and the Adventure Rally. It is interesting to note that the Overland pants are 3-layer GoreTex but not the jacket.
  18. GSDonovan

Oddometer:
    Is there any real performance difference between 2 and 3 layer GoreTex other than durability? :ear
  19. keiji

keiji Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 2 layers will typically breath better than a 3 layer as there is not the adhesive blocking the pores.
  20. BruceWA

BruceWA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I believe there are places that can repair Gore-tex and are authorized by Gore-tex to do so. Not sure what it would cost or even if it is cost effective from a owners perspective.