Xrr vs xrl

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by bill pierce, Nov 16, 2012.

1. bill pierce

bill pierce I don't wana pickle

Oddometer:
    I totaled my street bike (deer strike). I have decided that commuting on the bike is just much risk because of rural roads and time of day.

So I'm going dual sport. I have been digging through 1000s of pages on the Honda XXR and XRL 650s. Maybe you guy's can help me decide. I can plate a XRR in Washington now.

The main questions for me are, can do a couple 100 miles of pavement on the R without having reliability issues? The bike will be used about 60% road 40% forest service/ off road stuff.

I will have about $5000 or a bit more saved by spring. I'm also open to other bikes beside Honda.

Thanks for the input.
  2. kirbi69

kirbi69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    they are almost the same, assuming you gear them the same. the engines are almost the same. the xr600R i think has more factory ponies, but the xr650l can be uncorked to equal it, and has more torque.

the main differnces are. XRR has kick start only, XRL is push button only.
    xrl has more stator output for accessories stock. but the XRR can get a stator upgrade.
    all in all it comes out in a wash.

with routine maintnance, both are reliable engines. no differences there.

i think the main thing you will figure out , is that the older XRR's are getting harder to find., the XRL's may cost more now, but they are easier to come by. and alot of them have low miles, and mostly street miles.

now if you want to go big, get the xr650 R. thats a different ball game from what i understand.
  3. wswartzwel

wswartzwel Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer:
    Hey Bill, Sorry you have to bury the R1100S. XR650L is quite reliable, and will go anywhere you want if you are not in a hurry. I rode one for years before making the switch to KTM. The XR650R is also very reliable. has won the Baja numerous times, has water cooling, lots more power, is lighter, and has much better suspension. However they are kick start only, and can be a bitch to start until you learn the routine, then they start quite well.
  4. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    I've ridden a buddies XR-L quite a bit, both pavement and gravel. Nice bike, peppier than my KLR 685. This summer I bought a tagged 07 XR-R and it is a hoot, different bike entirely. I'm commuting on the -R now, but it's not much highway. Seems to have plenty of grunt, even at 70 mph. If you can tag an XR-R in your state, I'd go that way.

btw, I think the oil change intervals on the XR-R are like every 600 miles, the XR-L is probably higher. I'm changing the XR-R every 1000, it's quick and easy. Valve adjustments are easy on the -R too. I took the knobs off and am running Pirelli Scorpions, thinking about changing the front rim to a 19" since I plan to do some track days on it.

The -R doesn't have much of a subframe, so no passengers. I've got an aftermarket subframe for carrying a tailbag, but I wouldn't haul a passenger. I've got kickstarting down easy peesy!
  5. bill pierce

bill pierce I don't wana pickle

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies.

Some people have issues kicking the CR500 also. I found it easy once I learned how. So, the kick starting doesn't worry me at all. Most any properly set up bike will start with a kick or two.

I do like the fact that the R is a bit lighter with a bit more power. I will most likely buy an extra set of wheels with street rubber for the days that will be street only.

With $5000 to spend a upgraded stator and lights / signals shouldn't be a problem.
  6. Dino3310

Dino3310 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am bias to the XRR but i reckon the XRL would be the one as it has all the goodies... electric start and electrics.
    if you were doing more off road i would choose the XRR.
  7. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    XR600R and an XR65L are very similar, an XR650L and and XR650R are very different. Reread the OP's original post.

8. Burkey

Burkey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had both in the shed for a couple of years until recently, still have the XR650R.

It's a better ride, more versatile, for me it's just a better overall package. The button on the L is nice but that's just not enough of a reason.

Try and ride both and make an educated decision
  9. ReferJohn

ReferJohn 4th Gear pinned> you'll make it

Oddometer:
    I too have ridden many XR's XRL's and XRR's,, all good bikes. the L is heavier, and can be lightened some what. the XRR is got a Little more power. but for me it comes down to the L, more comfortable seat. i do single track my L, goes anywhere the XRR goes. it's been a bike that Honda has not changed for 20 years-That's a Good thing to me. that seat on the L is great for all around street, dirt, motoard.
    I am also getting 17's for my L, this bike as stated is heavier, but don't drop it and you never know.

Mine

[​IMG]