Alternate rear tube size in an emergency?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by moosnutz, Aug 3, 2012.

1. moosnutz

moosnutz meow meow

Oddometer:
    Hey Guys - Leaving for a 'spur-of-the-moment' camping trip & need some tubes. As the bike is only a few weeks old I haven't yet had the chance to assemble all the proper kit. The single bike shop in my area doesn't have any correct-size rear tubes in stock. Is there an alternate size that I can get away with using in an emergency? I know 21" front tubes can be used in a pinch on the rear but not sure if that applies to the beefy 150 series tire on the Katoom. Any ideas?

:ear
  2. GZERO

GZERO Fixing stuff around

Oddometer:
    I have used regular sized (i think is 2 inch) rear enduro tube (18inch) and i shredded in a couple of hours driving on street a little aggressive.

it was inflated to 34 psi.

just my experience
  3. misery goat

misery goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I ran a front tube (90/90) in the rear on my SE for several thousand miles in Patagonia with a fully loaded bike and had no problems.
  4. Jaimoto

Jaimoto Spaniard in Chile

Oddometer:
    I've been using rear tubes for 120 mm tire width for a year. Yep, they do look small for a 150mm tire but hey, it's rubber, it expands...
    Actually, that's the size the KTM dealer sells here so I assume almost every 950-990 Adv down here are using them.
  5. moosnutz

moosnutz meow meow

Oddometer:
    Excellent, thanks Guys. Looks like I do have some options!
  6. ride-for-life

ride-for-life Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I been only carrying front tubes for years, they work in the rear just fine they pack better too.