The KTM300 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GasGas300, Jan 11, 2010.

1. halmc

halmc Turkey T*urd

Oddometer:
    Tallahassee, Florida -- home of good ideas
  2. DougZ73

DougZ73 Fading off.........

Oddometer:
    I am not a KTM expert, but I think they are all kickers?? At least my model year ranges are. ( 98-03)??
  3. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:

Shit you should be an expert by now.:lol3

09 and newer have OEM Estart
    ,and kick back up.Or the combo of both cause its got a cordless drill battery.:deal
  4. DougZ73

Oddometer:
    ha..LOL.

I did not think they still had the 300 EXC for more current years. :lol3 Surprised they still make street legal two smokers.:huh
  5. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:

EXC,XC,XCW,SX,,,,,Tomatoe,tamotto,,don't go get'n anal on me.:lol3

Shit,ya don't need a starter anyway.I rode the Hammer without one this year.:rofl

[​IMG]

By the way,,,if anybodys got a spare KICK STARTER they wanta sell,please let me know.
    I took the bolt out of my buddys 08 450EXC kick starter,and we shared.He'd start his bike,id start mine,and throw it in his back pack,got me threw a 110 mile day.And I know other years and models will fit.
  6. halmc

halmc Turkey T*urd

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure they do. "Street Legal" of course may depend on the acumen (or lack of it) of your licensing personnel rather than verbiage on the MSO.

But yup, the '09+ (and a few late '08's) EXC 300's are electric start. The ES ain't terribly bad if a 410w starter is substituted for the old 350w one, and the little bushings replaced with some frequency. Best strategy is to do the first start of the day with the kicker, and use the button for the rest of the ride.

'Need' is for Bangladesh. 'Want' is for me.
  7. DougZ73

Oddometer:
    Sheet Scotty...you could have borrowed mine. Engine is partially apart on junk room table....has been for months. :lol3
  8. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:

Didn't break it till the end of Saturday.Freak'n thing split right down the middle.:huh
    900+ bikes there on sunday,,,and I couldn't find one fucker with a spare,and no one would just loan theres out right because no one trusted there battery,or they had a Rekluse.:rofl
    Luckily that bike is tight,dialed in and not a staller,so I got away with share'n a kick stater.
    Id love to find a used kicker.You'd think KTM made them of gold,when pricing OEM replacement.
  9. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    All '08s had e-start (major redesign) I've used the starter exclusively since buying the bike 3 years ago, probably put 300 hrs on it. Starter is all stock - high compression head. I finally had to put brushes in it this year and now the bendix is finally starting to go. Still fires up instantly hot w/ the e start but I relented and now give 1 or 2 kicks cold :cry
  10. rlsjodin

rlsjodin n00b

Oddometer:
    My bike (2010 300 xcw)has NEVER been able to start up cold w the elec starter. (purchased used w 25 hrs). Have to kick it. Generally speaking, it'll fire right up at op temp w the button.
    I've also found this design to be a high maint item- partic the brushes. Some of that is probably due to where I ride/cond(PacNWet)-the whole system is mounted right in the worst spot you could put an electrical component-right up front in splash zone. I've read from a lot of people the same tale.
    otherwise the ktm 300 is the absolute king of single track! :evil
  11. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    It doesn't get much drier than where I live, humidity is typically 8-10% and 12" of rain is a wet year.
  12. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
  13. halmc

halmc Turkey T*urd

Oddometer:
    I did quite a bit of research on that issue and came to a different conclusion. That said, KTM, like most manufacturers, doesn't flash cut to a new model. The blend in the new with the old, and in fact, occasionally, a hybrid emerges for a while.

No matter, tho, cuz magic button 300's are everywhere.
  14. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Yeah I agree with you on models without major changes, I've got an 06 & 07 525 that share parts that were supposed to be updated. But the situation with the 300 is a little different, 08 was a major update, frame, suspension, plastics etc... They all came with e-start, esp since it was a feature new to that year and a major selling point. If you find an '08 300 (EDIT: XCW) without estart, a PO has removed it.
  15. Harley Beemer

Harley Beemer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Almost correct.

08' XC model was not E start.

Only xcw that year.
  16. zig06

zig06 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nope, only the XC-W(e) came with electric start in 2008. Here's a pretty good article on the 2008 KTM 300's and an explanation on the electric start.

http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/ktm/2008-ktm-300-xc-and-xc-w-e-ar51586.html
  17. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
  18. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    All forged pistons are set up with about twice the clearance of a cast piston,hence the noise when cold.
    If I do put a piston in a KTM I get OEM,they seem to last and last.
  19. halmc

halmc Turkey T*urd

Oddometer:
    Am I correct in believing that KTM began to offer the six speed transmission in the 25o/300's in 2012? If yes, was it for all models with that engine?

I'm thinking seriously about moving from my 540 and 300 exc's to a single bike, and am considering the 300 XCW as well as the four stroke 350 XCF‑W.

Trouble is, even tho' my present 300 is a '99 -- it's hard for me to believe any bike could be more fun, handle better or be more suited to my riding. However I thought the same decades ago about my seven speed Hercules 250 GS, and was very wrong then, and perhaps as wrong now.

And my 540 has the handling and some serious power, but not the nimbleness of the 300.

So the new 300's present the two stroke advantages with the magic button, but the 350 presents efi, no mixing gas, and a bit more legitimacy in the street-legal department.

I have the paralysis of analysis, I fear. Help me out, I'd particularly like to hear from those (if any) who have changed from '99 era EXC 300 to a '12 or '13. Or from those who have experience with the current 300 and 350 offerings. But all comments, slanderous or otherwise, welcomed.
  20. lowbudget

lowbudget _twin brothers on the go_

Oddometer:
    The 2Stroke EXC´s in Europe had the sixth gear box since 2011.

I had a 1998 EGS 300, 2003 EGS 250, 2009 EXC 300 and now ride a 2012 EXC 250 - The difference between those bikes is noticeable (obviously). The step from 5 to 6 gears is a real advantage in my eyes. I always felt like the ratio between 4th an fitfh gear was way too long on the 09 model.

I cant´s say the same for the 98 an 03 as I didn´t really get out of second gear much due to being a novice when I had them.