Tell me about the KTM SMT990

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Infallible, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Infallible

Infallible Into the Wild Blue Yonder

Oddometer:
    I tried to do a search but unable to find anything related to this bike here. How is the reliability, mpgs, any niggling details etc? I just saw one in person at the local Katoom dealership. I have no prior history with KTMs other than seeing them out and about perdiodically, I actually only stopped in the store on a whim to kill some time. They had a nice white one in the show room and it looked like a pretty nice machine overall.

[​IMG]
  2. Joe

Joe Debaser

Oddometer:
    I have had mine for a couple of seasons and am pretty happy with it. No problems to speak of although I have only 8000km so far. You may want to check out http://ktmsmt.com, not much activity but a forum devoted solely to the SMT. For anything mechanical looking in orange crush will get you most questions answered given the same LC8 engine between the SM, SMR, SMT and Adventures. Also Youtube has some great videos with some roadtests.
  3. -GUV-

-GUV- Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. TT RDHS

TT RDHS Long timer

Oddometer:
    A fantastic bike, by all accounts.
    The SMT would make my KTM Superduke and my BMW R12R, both be obsolete.
    If I was only going to have one bike, that one would be at the very top of my list.
    :beer
  5. MIghty

MIghty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't have mine yet. But there is a thread on them a few pages back here.
  6. Poucher

Poucher Durham UK

Oddometer:
    Infallible,

Just buy one, it will be the most fun bike you've ever had!

I bought one in July last year ( UK ) and have done 6,600 hard miles on it and not has a single problem, it averages just under 40 mpg but you won't care about that as its such a hoot to ride!

Some more reading for you :-

http://www.ktmsmt.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3164

http://www.visordown.com/reviews/mo...--present/reader-reviews/4126.html#review2362

http://www.ashonbikes.com/content/ktm-990-sm-t

Go on,... just release a few "prisoners" ( dollars from your bank account :lol3 )
    and get one bought.

Cheers,
    Poucher
  7. kaivalagi

kaivalagi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Had mine since April last year, done just under 6000 miles so far, mostly at weekends as I am working away from home during the week, no problems either. By all accounts an awesome machine :)

My plus points for the bike:
    • Rev pickup is grin creating, never gets old!
    • Brakes are fantastic as is the ABS which you will have a hard job getting to engage
    • Ride height is excellent, loads of suspension travel and a great view of things too
    • Pannier kit is great, but watch out as the bike is then very wide.....beware wing mirrors on filtering!
    • Tuneable with TuneECU (free software) and a cable (DIY)

My minus points:
    • MPG, MPG, MPG....I am averaging about 35mpg (UK) but would get to 40 if I let off the throttle :)
    • No fuel gauge, just a reserve indicator, it does take 19litres though
    • Can eat oil, just get the bike warm before riding it like you stole it
    • Fairly light on the frontend, headon winds and three figure speed = wobble

The bike was expensive, more than I really wanted to spend but after a test ride I just had to get it and I do not regret it at all! Go test ride one for a few hours and make your own mind up...I guarantee a grin or 3 and that you'll become a hooligan :)
  8. hankgs

hankgs Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am going to sell the beastly pig (1150GSA) and going between the SMT or the bigger Dorso from Aprilia... I ride about 10K miles a year on my bike and I am kind of sketch on the KTM 990 mechanically- The Aprilia has options for (lite) touring as well, and I really like that motor- Any thoughts?
  9. kaivalagi

kaivalagi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think you need to test ride both and then make a decision on that along with the practicalities of touring on each as you see it.

I am not sure what the tank range is on a Dorso 1200? Are the luggage options anywhere near as good as the SMT?

Bottom line for me would be whatever gives me the bigger grin......get out and ride each, 3 hrs on one then 3 hrs on the other :evil
  10. Podman

Podman Rocketman Supporter

Oddometer:
    It will take you 600 miles in a day w/o any problem
    It will carve corners with the best of them
    It will stop like few others
    It has more character then most
    It will put a grin on your face under your helmet:D
    It may take you a while to find one unless your lucky
    It's an absolute hoot to ride:clap
    It may get you a ticket or two
    It may make you feel like a kid again:ear
  11. JJGeo

JJGeo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Both are nice, but I think the Ape would get old for touring due to the lack of wind protection. I doubt the Dorso handling matches the KTM's either...the Ducati Hyper and MTS1200 handling doesn't (although those are nice bikes). The SMT is honestly the best street bike I've ever owned. :D
  12. Holden

Holden Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Amen!!

every time I ride mine I get as excited as the first time. It is torquey, light, nimble and FUN!

It does eat rear tires though..... :lol3
  13. Infallible

Infallible Into the Wild Blue Yonder

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the info and the links. I really never paid much attention to the KTMs as I usually stay on the tarmac but this machine was pretty damned neat. I would like to use this as a daily commuter and if MPGs is high 30's low 40's that would be fine as I've had bikes more thirsty than that before. I will have to continue reading a bit more as it is quite an expensive machine but so far its hitting all the right buttons.

-GUV- sorry I put a space in between 990 and SMT and returned back with nothing but thanks.
  14. ULY-RPG

ULY-RPG cool hands adv

Oddometer:
    If i didn't buy a ulysses before the orange demo, the SMT would've been in the stable instead.
    That smt is one fine machine:deal
  15. Tubulchain

Tubulchain ODAAT Supporter

Oddometer:
    SMT is on my short list for this spring also. Test rode one a month ago and really liked the comfort. It seemed to lack a killer power output. I think I had incorrect expectations though, since I rode a buddies Superduke R and prolly thought it would be the same. It does move fast for sure.

Just sold my FJR, so a light fun bike like SMT will be a nice change of pace. Will have to try out the Multistrada also. Tough to beat that bikes "holy shit!" factor.
  16. -GUV-

-GUV- Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Killer power output, SuperDuke? it's got 130hp, your FJR would have had more.