NORRA Mex1K Support Thread

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Johnnymoto, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Johnnymoto

Johnnymoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys. Last year there was a separate thread for support, thus I followed that protocol.

I'm pleased to announce that Tim Morton has agreed to offer support service for the NORRA Mexican 1000 again this year. We have six riders confirmed and onboard already. For anyone considering riding this event but is concerned with the logistics, support, and cost of all of that this is a good option.

Last year I did the Mex1k, it was my first ever off road race/rally of any type. Diane at Precision Concepts introduced me to Vanscourt, AKA Baja Dad, who was super cool, got on the phone with me, explained what needed to be where support wise, and let me know about Tim's deal. Tim knows Baja, he has a tour company, he has raced the Baja 1000 numerous times, 20+ I think, he has raced the Mex1k, done support for it the last few years, he doesn't pound his chest about it, but from chatting with him a bit, and having dinner with his parents and asking them about their family history in Baja I came to the conclusion that he has probably spent 1/4 of his life on the peninsula riding, touring, and running support. It shows. The deal last year worked like this: We flew into San Diego, hung out at the airport a bit waiting for everyone to get in, Tims rigs pulled up, bikes already loaded, oh yeah, you ship your bike to him, or if your local just drop it off, or in my case the bike was at Precision Concepts and he arranged to pick up my bike and load it up. In any case we all met at San Diego airport, everyone piled in, and over the border we went. It was cool. He made a custom rack for all of our spare wheels. The set up was simple but pro. We hit a killer taco shack in Tecate, and off to the desert we went for a bit of a shakedown and then to Mexicali for two nights awaiting the start.

The day before the race Tim had a white board on the trailer set up to tell you what was what. For a noob like me that was cool, and reassuring. For the next for days he had us covered. You rode all day, a rig would be there at the end of the special stage, you say hi to the boys, maybe grab a drink, and off to the next special. When we arrived at the hotel Tim or Dean would be there with room keys for you and you're all set.

Whats included? Airport pickup, receiving your bike, hotels, support all the way down, a ride for your bike back to San Diego so you can hop a plane in Cabo and rock the adventure of a lifetime with only a week off of work.

What's not included? It's not a search and rescue deal. If you break down on the course they will do their best, but its on you to do your best to get yourself and your machine to the highway so you are easy to reach. I was nervous about this last year. There was no need to be. I've ridden Baja 7-10 days a year for the last 6 years, I know the area pretty well, but I had never raced. I couldn't believe how much help and support that there was along the way. For a noob reading this, you're not alone out there, and I think that the race is a lot safer than the trail riding I do down there due to the support.

What's it cost? With the group we have now $1850. This includes all of the above. If more guys go the price will go down a bit. I think he will also adjust down a skosh for someone that does not want maintenance help. For anyone coming from back east it'll save ya a fortune. I was freaking on the cost of a truck last year. From Chicago roundtrip to Cabo is 6000 miles, that's a $2500 fuel expense alone in my Dodge, and that's just the gas! In addition to an extra week off work, having to deal with border traffic, military checkpoints, what if the truck breaks down, I could go on all day...... We're fortunate that Tim does this, without it the race wouldn't be doable for my group at least. But the biggest thing is that allowed me to focus on the ride and know that I just needed to make it to the truck or hotel.

Another observation. From the time we started riding in the am until the last man came in Tim has a wrinkle in his forehead and is a little edgy. This is a sharp contrast to his normal sarcastic, goofball demeanor. I wasn't sure what to make of this at first. On the third day I was in the truck with him joking around about something and he wasn't taking the bait. At that point I realized that he's seriously concerned for the welfare of his crew and there's no fucking around when his riders are on course. Once everyone is accounted for the wrinkle disappears. Tim will probably give me a hard time for saying that, but its worth noting from my perspective as having someone that cares and knows what to do if the shit hits the fan is priceless.

Tims email is info@bajaboundmoto.com

If anyone has any questions for me please email johnny@motoworkschicago.com - I rarely look at the adv private messages.

If Matt, Beto, Scott, Kelly, Nate, Mike, Vanscourt, or anyone that has done this support deal in the past would like to chime in and fill in the gaps that I left in terms of the experience or details that would be cool.

And as far as the rally, I know for the hardcore rally guys its "rally lite" - But for me at my level it was AWESOME, the adventure of a lifetime, a one way march of metal down the peninsula, the roadbook was super cool, that was a first for me. And I was pretty torn down by the end of the deal. Long days and early mornings.

Anyone else register for the Rally yet?
  2. johnson357

johnson357 Bad Monkey Racing

Oddometer:
    Tim also offers a race rental deal for a bit more but after doing bike prep last year etc..... I wish I would have gone with the race rental bike from him. I used a race rental prep bike from Tim in 2006 Baja 500 and it was like being a factory racer, bike was awesome.

I was at Tim's shop before the race where he was prepping the bike for the overall winner last year Justin Morgan from DP Racing and it was awesome to watch them do it. The attention to detail was amazing.

But Johnny is right great time and super well run. Tim knows Baja so well that when he saw the route for the day usually he could give pointers about what to expect in terrain too.
  3. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jump on this Guys!!
    Tim knows his stuff
    I will be using Tim's support for my Triumph Baja Tiger effort this year
  4. greglewis

greglewis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oak Park, Illinoisistan - the straight road state
    What is the approximate cost of a rental for the Baja 1000?

Thanks
  5. Johnnymoto

Oddometer:
    Hey Greg - Hit up Tim at info@bajaboundmoto.com

It will be real $$ - but his bikes are off the charts - but probably overkill for a guy like me that is just doing it to finish... He built last years NORRA winner Justin Morgans bike. Justin was fast.
  6. rukhsana

rukhsana n00b

Oddometer:
    Tomorrow Stage 1 gets underway with a short prologue starting at 8AM following a liaison to Taourirt in Morocco. The five-hour ferry trip from Almeria to Nador provides a final opportunity to rest and socialize before the hectic pace of competition begins on the African continent.
  7. JoeHauler

JoeHauler n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, its time to get signed up for the Mexican 1000! They are potentially going to offer some discounts for signing up early.

Get your vacation requests into your boss and make the date set on your calendar! The Mexican 1000 is a great way to enjoy riding in Baja. The first day this year will be a long one and the following three days rides will be progressively shorter. Stopping over nights give you time to rest, eat and keep you bike in great shape. I know that there are cheap return flights home from Cabo and Tim with Baja Bound is willing help safely transport your bikes back up north for a small fee.

I rode the first NORRA Mexican 1000 event on a 1972 CZ400 and it was an absolute blast. Lucky for us they try to keep the course away from the punishing whoop sections Baja has so that it is a really fun format without exhausting you and your crew like the formal Baja 1000 peninsula runs.

Come down to enjoy "the Funnest Race on Earth" and bring your friends! It is an event you'll never forget and the smiles can last for years.
  8. Scotty Breauxman

Scotty Breauxman Baja Breaux

Oddometer:
    Joe's right. Its a great event with lots of tradition, everyone is friendly and laid back plus you get to see the whole length of BAJA. I've ridden in the last two and can confirm the the party at the finish in Cabo is second to none. Can't go wrong with BajaBound either. I'm looking forward to this next one.
  9. BAZZER450

BAZZER450 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Joe ! the changes for the bikes sounds very good and fun ..all payed up and waiting to see you in the tech tent on saturday !
  10. Johnnymoto

Oddometer:
    Joe, From what I understood its a 5 day deal this year no? Short 1st day, long 2nd day, and we meet the cars in Loreto. You have anything to share on that?
  11. GalacticGS

GalacticGS Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think for the bikes it's:

Day 1 - Ensenada to El Rosario
    Day 2 - El Rosario to San Ignacio
    Day 3 - San Ignacio to Loreto
    Day 4 - Loreto to La Paz
    Day 5 - La Paz to Cabo

Day 2 should be the long one...

Day 4 I think I heard that some of the course may be separate from the cars, so that might add some miles too, but should not be terribly long.
  12. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority

Oddometer:
    I believe that from Constituion the bikes will go over to the gulf and the cars will stay on the pacific side.
  13. moonwalker

moonwalker n00b

Oddometer:
    This rally looks like a lot of fun. Appears an intermediate rider can participate and not get run over again and again.
  14. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    You have it backwards
    Cars to Gulf
    Bikes on Pacific side
  15. JoeHauler

JoeHauler n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm looking forward to seeing you there as well, bring your friends that need a nice long Baja ride! This year will be some new course and yes the idea is to keep the bikes and cars seperate as much as possible. We're trying to make the course more dirt with some new single track added to reduce the paved sections. We'll see what they let us do and it will be great big fun either way we ride it.
  16. JoeHauler

JoeHauler n00b

Oddometer:
    That's the plan and this year we should have a helicopter for safety but we're not going to need it for the dirt bikers RIGHT GUYS! :norton
  17. mikerd400

mikerd400 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My team will be there. We race a 7200 truck, and have raced almost all of the different race organizations. Last year we races the Mex 1000, and it was by far the most fun we have had racing. I can't wait for this years race.
  18. BAZZER450

BAZZER450 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think this is the best race format for less experianced riders that want to get the thrill of baja with the saftey of a well run event . Short of a guided ride with secret trails ,this is the easiest and safest way to see the length of Baja. If you get your wife to drive(or ride) the chase truck you can sell it as a mexican holiday !! :freaky
  19. steved57

steved57 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What kind of fuel range does you bike need for this race ?
  20. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    It all depends on how you do it
    What bike you plan on riding I might build help you out