Side hill OTE (off trail excursion)

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by HellSickle, Sep 24, 2012.

1. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    Don't do this. The rider must have hit his bars on a tree and launched off the side of the trail into a pile of rose bushes & dead timber. He landed below the bike, and miraculously escaped injury. If riding solo, it would have been impossible to get his bike back on the trail. We tied a tow strap to the front wheel and hoisted the bike out of the bushes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. swann

swann Just practicing...

Oddometer:
    Wow! Amazing there were no serious injuries! Ya know, four wheelers can get winches installed...wonder if some two wheelers should too. :D
  3. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:

I sometimes carry a long medium duty ratchet strap for such occaisions. It doesn't take up to much space and might be the difference of walking out for help.. etc.
  4. swann

swann Just practicing...

Oddometer:
    Good thinking
  5. rgoers

rgoers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I do the same... it takes a LONG time to move something that way, but it does get it moved. :-) In a lot of situations, after getting some tension on the strap, pulling on the center of the strap will get things to move a lot more distance, more quickly than just relying on the ratchet take-up.
  6. XR650L_Dave

XR650L_Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn orange bikes, always getting distracted and checking things out off the side of the trail...
  7. Crenshaw

Crenshaw Bum

Oddometer:
    Rainbow trail? I feel like I recognize that spot.

Good job getting it out, I always think about that type of situation when riding alone.
  8. DRV

DRV Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had a similar off trail experience slippery log got me... Ropes pulleys or ratchet straps good thing to bring along..
  9. Nacho911

Nacho911 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are covert kit. 50 feet of 6 mm climbing rope and pulleys, binders, and some code. Also some prussik chord to make a 3-1 or 5-1 system. In a pinch if another rider has this kit go with a 9-1 rescue system. We used it for a Triumph 800xc that went about 15-20 feet over bank into trees. Took a lot of work to get it up still. A hand saw is also good to carry.

:D
  10. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    Grizzly Helena trail
  11. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    each to their own, but the idea of dirt riding solo ain't for me. glad this guy wasn't injured.

+1 on the rope, i've got a light weight one that takes up little space but gets used all the time for pulling bikes out of trouble, and could tow a bike back to camp if needed.