Went for a Motorcycle Ride........On My Scooter.

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by klaviator, Jul 1, 2013.

1. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    There was an interesting ride posted on Bamarides in my area so I decided to go. It would most likely be all motorcycles but I decided to ride my Aprilia Sport City 250. Would it be like bringing a knife to a gunfight?

Here's a few pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For more pics and the full story, go to my ride report here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=647784&page=19

Start at post #280
  2. driller

driller Twist and Go

Oddometer:
    I know just how you felt.:krusty
    The groans are almost audible when arriving on the scoot.
    No, all the ribbing is in good fun.
  3. andoulli

andoulli CAJUN

Oddometer:
    I see a lot of cruisers there, more like bringing a gun to a knife fight. Well, at least when the roads get curvy.
  4. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I didn't get that at all. One of the cruiser guys told me he used to have a morphous but traded up to a Burgman 400 because the Morphous slowed down too much on hills. He said be be riding the Burgman on this ride but was waiting for a new tire.

I wasn't worried about keeping up on the curves. I was concerned that the pace might be too fast on long straights and too slow in the curves. The Aprilia handles curves pretty well and I have outrun a few sportbikes on twisty roads:p3rry
  5. andoulli

andoulli CAJUN

Oddometer:
    I pulled onto an interstate on ramp very early one morning on my 2007 Honda Shadow 1100 Spirit. Just ahead of me was a Burgman 650. The road was empty and he took off. I was not able to catch up, when I finally backed off he was about a mile ahead.
  6. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Burgman 650 has 54 hp. But it should handle curves like a beached whale.
  7. cbolling

cbolling Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer:
    I test rode a Silverwing and a Tmax. They are both way faster than the Honda Shadow 750 that I used to ride.
  8. klaviator

Oddometer:
    :amazon

Should be some interesting replies to this one.
  9. gumshoe4

gumshoe4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow, Klav, you sure ride in some beautiful country.

The scooter v. motorcycle thing is only as much an issue as you allow it to be. I've been on many a Patriot Guard Rider mission by now where my machine is the only scooter amidst a sea of Harleys, Goldwings and an occasional Victory, Vulcan, VTX or Road Star...you get a little jab now and then, but once you establish your bonafides, seems not to be much of a problem anymore.

You certainly did that on your ride. You've ridden that Aprilia all over the place and you were certainly in your element on those roads. I don't think anyone else on that ride was in a position to jam you on your choice of motation...
  10. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    People complain about cruiser handling. My Vulcan 750 handles great (and makes over 60 hp) but then it is hardly a "modern" cruiser. Still, the Burgman has a 62.8" wheelbase, a 15" front wheel and a 14" rear wheel. That should definitely not translate into great handling, and those small wheels should make it ride like a cement truck. I admit I have no idea how it handles out on the road at speed, but found it awful in a parking lot. It's main strong point should be comfortable high speed cruising on fairly straight roads.
  11. GREY.HOUND

GREY.HOUND Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice ride and pics Klaviator. Question, do you have your camera mounted to the bike?

GH
  12. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I have never had anyone give me any grief over riding a scooter. I wasn't concerned over the scooter vs motorcycle thing. I was concerned over riding a 250cc bike with much bigger bikes. I had no doubts about keeping up in the curves. Actually I was more concerned that they would be so slow in the curves that I'd get bored. However, If they decided to cruise down the highway at 85, I'd get left behind. Even 70 going up hill would leave me behind. It turned out not to be an issue.
  13. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Jerry, there is a big difference between Japanese cruisers designed in the 80s and modern ones. My wife had a Virago 700. I probably put about 10,000 miles on it.....about as many as she did:D It handled well, had good power, twin front disc brakes, a centerstand and a tach. I'm sure it would leave just about any modern cruiser under 1000cc in the dust. It would also handle better than most modern cruisers. Your Vulcan would do the same. The biggest issue with modern cruiser is that in order to get that ultra low seat height, ground clearance is severely compromised. They also tend to be really heavy. I used to sell Kawasaki's and Yamaha's. Few if any cruiser riders that I talked to cared how the bikes handled. If the customers don't care, why should the manufacturers?

As for the Burgman 650, I haven't ridden one but from what I have seen posted, it handles fairly well. I'm surprised no Burgman riders have chimed in here.
  14. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I have a cheap point and shoot that I hang around my neck with a strap. If I want to take a pic I grab it with my left hand, turn it on and shoot. If I need to get my hands on back on the bars I can just drop it. Many of the pics I take this way are crap but it's a digital camera so they don't cost me anything. I get a lot more pics this way since I don't have to stop. I can even shoot while riding through the curves unless I'm really riding hard.
  15. GREY.HOUND

GREY.HOUND Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I have a basic digital also, but recently bought a mount for it. Just trying to figure the best way to go about it.
  16. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    Not true.

It's not a BMW, for sure...but I've ridden worse; and by that I mean machines with the gas tank where it "should" be; clutch and gearshift..."proper" motorcycles.

The 650 Burgman is heavy. But it's low weight; and it does respond to setting-up for curves. I haven't pushed it, because that's not my style; not at this point in life. But I have had it across the country; took the Million-Dollar Highway in Colorado...the only fear I had was that the rear tire was wearing faster than I thought I could get to the dealer; and the rain (and snow!) clouds coming in even faster. Hydroplaning wouldn't be something I'd want to include on a vacation.

...No. Do NOT start preaching about the mileage from car tires, tractor tires, pedal-car tires. Not going there. And if I cannot afford specified tires for it, then it's time to park it.
  17. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I went out again last night trying to find that disrespect us scooter riders are supposed to get from motorcycle riders. I rode to bike night at the Cycle Gear in Huntsville. Just to be sure I would get laughed at and disrespected I rode my Super 8 instead of my more "exotic" Aprilia.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was a pretty good turnout. I really didn't get a good pic showing all the bikes. There was a good mix, Hondas, kawasakis, suzukis, yamahas, harleys, an aprilia, a triumph, and a moto guzzi. There where cruisers, touring bikes, sport bikes, adventure bikes, dual sports, and even a trike. There where two bikes that really stood out. First was my scooter which was the only scooter, the only Kymco and by far the smallest bike there. The other was this 52 Vincent:

[​IMG]

I can't understand why people where looking at and taking pics of the Vincent and ignoring my Kymco:dunno

:lol3:lol3:lol3

I never did find that disrespect. I guess I'll just have to keep looking.
  18. driller

driller Twist and Go

Oddometer:
    Free food???? I'd take the chance.:rofl
    That old song about a Vincent Black Shadow comes to mind.
  19. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:
    If you get a chance to hear one of these fire up, you are in for a treat.

[​IMG]
  20. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:
    Hey Win, a little thread jack.

[​IMG]